Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Glock 30

i bought it a few months ago for $525, i've got probably 300 rounds through it with no hiccups at all

my only complaint with it, which i knew when i bought it, was that it's kind of fat

i went into my LGS today, he's got two 30SF models in stock, he says one is new, the other is used with night sights, he's got a price tag of $500 on each one

i asked him if he'd consider trading my 30 for one of those 30SFs, he said he'd need a little money on top of the trade, that he'd need $100 if mine is in excellent condition

is it just me or does that seem like a bad deal?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Not too awful a deal. I was thinking more of $75.00 difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, bad deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he's got a Ruger that i like for $310, i was thinking of offering him $375 cash plus my Glock for both guns

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Just gotta justify the "I want"! It only hurts for a bit. :)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Same reason I sold my G30, just too fat. I didn't even like the SF model, also fat.

Sell yours on the forun, then buy what you want from Buds Gun Shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's not really too fat, it's just not as comfortable as the 30SF is

i've got no problem keeping it for it's intended CCW purpose, but if i could trade for a thinner version of the same gun i'd be all over it

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Considering that $275-$300 is about all you might expect from a gun shop in trade for that G30, then, I guess, the deal isn't terrible. However, $500 for a used Glock, even with night sights, is about $100 more than I'd pay or have paid.

I carried a G30 for years, until I wised up and got a G26. Traded the G30 even for a G29, but don't carry it either.

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
Actually, consider this...

If you wanted nightsights installed on your G30, it would run you around $100; so, if you get the G30SF with nightsights, you've pretty much broken even, and gotten a gun with a shorter frame that you want as well.

So, yes--I'd say it's plenty fair. On the local gun forums I frequent, used Glocks with nightsights usuall go for around $500 (unlless they are old PD trade ins), and without for anywhere from $375-$450, depending on the model & condition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't care about night sights though, i'd take the new 30SF without the night sights or a used one without the night sights if he had one

my problem with the deal is that he knows what the private market around here is like, he knows i can sell my 30 and get enough to buy his 30SF outright, cover tax, and buy a third mag / some ammo

i could see if i was wanting to trade the 30 i have on say the XD9 he's got, or if my 30 was in less-than-new shape, but to charge me $100 + a gun you're going to sell for $500 for a gun of basically the same model you're going to sell for $500 isn't acceptable to me

just trying to see if i'm crazy or not

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've never had or seen a Glock that needed "professional" installation. I've done at LEAST 50 Glock sights, a plastic push rod and a plastic hammer is way more than enough to do the job. Throw a little loc-tite on it, done!
Of course, I could do a sight swap on all 50 Glocks in the same amount of time as it would take to do 2 or 3 XD sights ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
The SF isn't any thinner at all, but it is shorter front-to-back by approx 3mm. The 29/30 'regular' doesn't bother me a bit, but I despise the 20/21 in non-SF flavor for some reason.

Get what you're comfortable with and move on, $100 seems steep-ish but look at how much money that gun eats in ammo!

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Installed?
Yes, directly from Glock. However, I've installed a bunch of 'em myself. Ameriglo offers some sets that don't require a sight pusher, and they furnish a front sight tool.

·
Registered
70 Posts
LGS needs to profit also. guns are good investments if you hold onto them and you will lose some value if trading. try selling it first for what you think it's worth and then buy from LGS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've got no problem with the guy making money on me

it's that he's trying to double the money he'd make on the deal

say he's got $400 in the used 30SF, he sells it for $500 and makes $100

i give him my 30 and $100, he sells my 30 for $500, he makes another $100 for a total of $200

i don't want the SF bad enough to sell my 30 and then go buy it, i was just trying to see if i was being unreasonable for being slightly taken back by his proposal

·
Registered
71 Posts
i've got no problem with the guy making money on me

it's that he's trying to double the money he'd make on the deal

say he's got $400 in the used 30SF, he sells it for $500 and makes $100

i give him my 30 and $100, he sells my 30 for $500, he makes another $100 for a total of $200

i don't want the SF bad enough to sell my 30 and then go buy it, i was just trying to see if i was being unreasonable for being slightly taken back by his proposal
But he can't simply keep trading guns all day long. He needs to cash out the $100 of profit at some point, and the time to do it is when he sells it. And he will only make "double" off you if he is able to sell your gun, but reality is he is making the normal amount, $100 off your trade in. He isn't making the $100 off you when he sells you the 30SF, he made that off the person that traded it in. He will make $100 off you only when he sells the gun you traded in for $100 over what he paid you for it.

Look at it this way, when all is said an done, there will be a total of $1000 in sales if he sells both trade ins, one to you, and the one you want to trade in. He is going to walk away with $200 over what he paid, not including light bills. That is a very small 20%, when in most retail and re-sale you want to be doing 40-60% of total sales to be over what was paid in the first place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
'making the normal amount' doesn't entail me giving him $100 cash AND something he's going to be able to sell for $500...

i've said that i have no problem with him making some money on me, i just found it ridiculous that he's trying to make the same amount off of me that he'd be making off of a person buying it outright as well as getting another pistol to sell at the same price

i've got no problem giving him my gun and $50-$60, or even like i said earlier in the thread, trading my gun and $375 for the SF and the P95

EDIT: in terms of cash, he's giving out $400 for his initial investment, getting $100 back from me for the trade, and $500 on sale of my trade-in, for a total of $600 in hand

that's a 33% profit, not 20%, and it's assuming he didn't trade the SF in on something else and gave $300 worth of credit or something

but regardless of how much he paid for the pistol and how wide his profit margin is, me giving him any kind of money would mean him making more money on the deal, just don't see why he wanted so much is all

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
I don't know what used Glocks go for in your area, but here, unless a pistol has ngiht sights or comes with a whole lot of extras, $450 is the most you're going to get for a used G30, with $400 a much more likely amount.

If you think you can sell yours for $500, then good on you...but since NIB G30's go for around $520, most folks would rather pay another $20 for a minty new one...

Actually, you said your dealer has a new G30SF for $500, no night sights...do you honestly think you'll get the same price for your used one?

Unless you live in a wierd little pocket of the universe where used handgun prices go up, instead of down...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts