Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my HD 40 SC and have put 250 rounds through her. She is awesome. I usually like to put 100-150 rounds of my personal defense rounds through my gun to make sure my gun will eat it with no problems and to get a feel for it with that ammo. But I am using Federal (which I have always been a fan of) 180 gr. Hydra-Shok JHP (model # P40S1). They are ONLY 27.99+tax for a box of 20. This makes my goal of 100-150 rounds very difficult since I will be broke before I get there. I am afraid to even fire the twenty I got. I was curious if anyone else (who might be wealthier than me) has fired this exact round through their XD and if so did your XD eat it up? Also, this is my first ever .40 cal. And I am not so sure of the grainage, shouldn't I have a lessor grain? I am mostly concerned about over penatration? Is there a better brand? What are your recommendations? I appreciate any and all feedback. :confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Federal and Speer have received great reviews. Either will do the job. You can find each on the web fairly easy, just remember the shipping cost though when ordering.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
THe HydShk is a good round, old school tech. but still works fine. There are other rounds available that are "better" & definitely cheaper bought in 50/box. WW SXT, Fed.HST, SPeerGD. I also like Rem.GS but can't find them in 50rd boxes, but they are cheaper by almost half bought on line.
FWIW, you'll need to shoot at least 50rds for aall the mags you have. What works 100% in someone elses pistol MAY NOT work 100% in yours. Worry more about reliability & your ability to place rounds on target. IF you can't hit, it matters little what you shoot with.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
THe HydShk is a good round, old school tech. but still works fine. There are other rounds available that are "better" & definitely cheaper bought in 50/box. WW SXT, Fed.HST, SPeerGD. I also like Rem.GS but can't find them in 50rd boxes, but they are cheaper by almost half bought on line.
FWIW, you'll need to shoot at least 50rds for aall the mags you have. What works 100% in someone elses pistol MAY NOT work 100% in yours. Worry more about reliability & your ability to place rounds on target. IF you can't hit, it matters little what you shoot with.
I agree with Fred.

One good thing about the .40 S+W. Since it is the most popular round in American LE, it gets more R+D than any other handgun round. I don't think there are any bad choices in the .40 S+W if you stick with the major manufactures JHP. Even their budget JHP's work real well.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Considering you can get Federal HST for half that price, I would say the Hydra-Shoks are a poor choice. HST = better bullet at a better price.

Ammunitiontogo.com has them for around $20 for 9mm and $25 for .45 (don't remember what .40 is). I can get them locally for even less. That is 50 round boxes, as well.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Considering you can Federal HST for half that price, I would say the Hydra-Shoks are a poor choice. HST = better bullet at a better price.

Ammunitiontogo.com has them for around $20 for 9mm and $25 for .45 (don't remember what .40 is). I can get them locally for even less. That is 50 round boxes, as well.
I would have to agree. From all the tests I've seen the HST is a better bullet. It's also a newer design. Hydra-Shoks were over 20 years ago, there's been many improvements in hollowpoint technology since then.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I would have to agree. From all the tests I've seen the HST is a better bullet. It's also a newer design. Hydra-Shoks were over 20 years ago, there's been many improvements in hollowpoint technology since then.
All true, but really, shooters over think this. If you can't put a shot COM at 10yds everytime form any position, in any light, which JHP is not your priority IMO.:rolleyes: Like Vafish said, just about any JHP will do fine if you can deliver it where it needs to go. Your ammo choice is always:
#1 100% reliable
#2 reasonably accurate (for me, at least 2" @ 15yds) I wouldn't shoot THE best bullet if it shot 4" groups. I may need to make a head shot or shoot out to 25yds.
#3 terminal performance
With practice & good shot placement, everything else works itself out.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Agreed, shot placement is the most important thing.
Just stating that the newer HP are much more likely to expand as designed especially when hitting barriers such as heavy clothing, drywall etc...

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
All true, but really, shooters over think this. If you can't put a shot COM at 10yds everytime form any position, in any light, which JHP is not your priority IMO.:rolleyes: Like Vafish said, just about any JHP will do fine if you can deliver it where it needs to go. Your ammo choice is always:
#1 100% reliable
#2 reasonably accurate (for me, at least 2" @ 15yds) I wouldn't shoot THE best bullet if it shot 4" groups. I may need to make a head shot or shoot out to 25yds.
#3 terminal performance
With practice & good shot placement, everything else works itself out.
Sure, but if you're going to miss a whole bunch, might as well be using the cheaper ammo.

Not sure why people still use Hydro-Shok. I guess it does feed better in some .45 autos...but for the most part it's just a more expensive cartridge that has been surpassed in performance by the bigger and better bullets.

Seems kind of like paying $40,000 for a 1990 Ford Taurus, just because you know it works well.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Sure, but if you're going to miss a whole bunch, might as well be using the cheaper ammo.

Not sure why people still use Hydro-Shok. I guess it does feed better in some .45 autos...but for the most part it's just a more expensive cartridge that has been surpassed in performance by the bigger and better bullets.

Seems kind of like paying $40,000 for a 1990 Ford Taurus, just because you know it works well.
Exactly, if it feeds, it will work. It matters little if your pistol will not feed Fed.SHT reliably. Regardless of what this guy says or that jello test, if the round is not 100% reliable & at least accurate enough for you to hit what you want, who cares if it beats the crap out of a block of jello? No, it's more like, you bought a Taurus & then want to put Perelli racing tires on it. Sure, they are the best tires, but can you really get the best out of them? Probably not.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Unfortunately there's no substitute to putting those 150-200 rounds through your own weapon. You never know how a particular pistol is going to handle the load you've chosen for it. Someone mentioned Speer Gold-Dots as being reliable; my experience is different, had major jamming issues in my Kel-Tec .380 with them and had to switch to the Remington Golden Sabers, something I never would have known if I hadn't plunked down the $50 on a couple of boxes of Speer bullets and gone to the range.

Reliability is king, more than accuracy or terminal performance. I carry Remington Golden Sabers in my .380 and my 9mm XD simply because they're cheaper than other major manufacturers' ammo and I've been able to fire enough rounds through my guns to trust them. That, to me, is more important than getting a 3-inch group versus a 4-inch group at 25 yards, and any JHP from any major manufacturer is going to expand - terminal performance, compared to reliability, is a non-issue as long as you're not shooting cold-war surplus junk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts