Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a revolver and a gun shop i always go through has a used S&W 642 .38 special for $299. Would this be a good deal if the gun is in good working order.

Thanks for advice I'm not so inclined in the revolver area.

·
Registered
464 Posts
300$ for any working well made fire arm is a good deal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i'm just tryin to decide if it will be worth the drive

·
Registered
464 Posts
well seems to be a fair price to me.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not a bad deal. My local gun shop has the 642 on sale for $299 new from time to time, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah there is a gunshow goin on 5min down the street so I think I'm going to check for a used wheelgun. I looking for a shooter not a safe queen so the show might be my best bet. Any sugestions a one to look for I'm trying to spend 300 or a tad more for a .357 or .38 special

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ruger GP100...

If you can find a S&W be sure to check the lockup to see if its still tight. its really hard to shoot a Ruger loose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ruger GP100...

If you can find a S&W be sure to check the lockup to see if its still tight. its really hard to shoot a Ruger loose.

yeah i like those i kinda like the old police S&W. I'm either going to buy a ruger or a smith that I know.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Yeah there is a gunshow goin on 5min down the street so I think I'm going to check for a used wheelgun. I looking for a shooter not a safe queen so the show might be my best bet. Any sugestions a one to look for I'm trying to spend 300 or a tad more for a .357 or .38 special
If you're looking for .357 or .38 spl, get the .357 magnum. Don't mess with .38 spl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In the market for a revolver. What would be the primary use of the new purchase? I am sure you know the 642 is a PD model? Even though the GP100 is one of the best, I don't think itwould be a fair comparison. Will this be a CCW for either you or the misses? No doubt the 642 has been one of S&W's best sellers for years. Have you ever shot a 642? My experience with the 642 was most unpleasant. If you are looking for a revolver in the PD size, let me recommend the Ruger LCR. It comes in either a 38 or 357 version. My wife and I have the 357 and it is exceptionally easier to shoot full load 357 rounds than the 642 shoots 38 rounds. Yes, it will be a little more expensive. Here in Atlanta, you can buy a new 357 for $419 or a 38 for $389. You may want to shoot a 642 before you make this purchase. Not sure if it is such a good deal that if you do not like the recoil, you could re sell and not take a loss.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I kinda want to carry it but I have a XDm 3.8 compact in .40 so thats my main ccw. I want something to carry on the farm,in the truck, and inside coat pocket or shoulder holster. I don't want a overly large revolver cause then it'll never leave home with me. Barrel length around 3in. and under would be perferable. I like the options Of the.357 mag cause i can shoot .38 also.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Recoil and discomfort is a subjective issue. My 642 wears wood boot grips, and I shoot +P 38's. for me, it's easy to shoot...but then again, I'm not recoil-sensitive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take a look at the S&W 60 or the Ruger SP100. both fit your description of want and need perfectly. Both are great guns. Can't go wrong with either of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts