Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowly building an an AR. I am going to place an order w/ Midway sometime soon and thought that this looked like it might be worth including since it is on sale ($30 dollars off).

I talked to a buddy of mine and he said that it's usually cheaper to buy a complete upper than to piece one together. I'm not against the "complete" option but I do enjoy building things. I already have a complete lower (I assembled) and am going to order a stock for sure on the next order. Is either option necessarily is cheaper? I do prefer the flat top (or at least the option to mount optics in place of a carry handle). From the review comments on this item it looks like a good fit w/ a DPMS lower, which I have. Even if the "pieces" option is a little more expensive I might get this project done a little faster if I can get a couple of parts at time instead of trying to plunk down a larger wad of cash at one time. OTOH it wouldn't hurt my feelings to save a few buck right now. I just don't want to regret not buying this later...

Item:
MidwayUSA - DPMS Upper Receiver Stripped AR-15 A3 Flattop Matte

Thanks,
X

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
seems like a good deal but personally i would buy a already assembled upper so you dont have to worry about head space
and odds are IF you do save any money once you figure in your time it probably wont be worth it but you do get to build EXACTLY what you want so thats a plus

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
If you piece together an upper assembly, you'll also need to buy the tools to do the job. With that upper you will also need the upper parts kit, which is the ejection port door assembly, and the forward assist assemby.
That will run you about $20 or more depending where you order from.

A better "deal" would be this or if you want the M4 ramps they have that also, same price.

Upper Receiver Assembly - Flat Top

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
seems like a good deal but personally i would buy a already assembled upper so you dont have to worry about head space
and odds are IF you do save any money once you figure in your time it probably wont be worth it but you do get to build EXACTLY what you want so thats a plus
Headspace is set from the barrel and the extension.
If you receive an assembled barrel, ie extension installed on the barrel, headspace is not an issue.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts

You don't have to worry about headspace when you build an upper. AR barrels are already headspaced when you buy them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts