Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take my XD-45 4" out today to go through some winchester white box, since I haven't fired it in a while and only have like 80-100 rounds through it. Been spending too much time with my new AR. ;-)

Anyways, after firing off 13rnds and picking up the shells like I always do, I instantly noticed something about the shells that I've never seen on any of the older shells I've popped off.

I don't know if there's a term for this, I'm not super educated when it comes to firearms...just know the basics and then some, so I took a pic for you guys to see what I'm talking about.

Is it normal to have that patch of black down the side of the shell? Every one of the 13rds fired today had that same black patch running down the side. All my older shells don't have it, and are actually pretty clean looking.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I hope someone else will chime in with the correct answer, but, what I would do is hand cycle a magazine of rounds through the gun (racking the slide to feed and eject unfired rounds) and see if the gun action is causing the mark. I suspect it is not but it is what I would do to check.

If that isnt it, then I would think that the casing is swelling after firing and the mark is somehow related maybe when it is extracted from the chamber.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to hand-cycle through a full mag just fine. That black patch rubs off if I dab it with some #9.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Yep, the .45 ACP round was designed to expand to fill the chamber when fired. If you aren't firing full-power loads, the shell doesn't fully expand and some of the hot gasses blow by the shell leaving a black sooty streak or area.

Happens all the time with less than full power reloads, hurts nothing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah I was about to say, its normal with our guns ( or atleast I think so ) I have the same. I tired to take a picture but the black I had on mine must have wiped off when it was in my pocket..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would full power be considered?

I've used nothing but winchester white box 230gr FMJ. I've shot roughly 120rnds so far...and these last 13rnds are the only ones that had that "blow back" on the shells.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The WWB stuff is somewhat loaded down, that's why they call it 'target' or 'range' ammo.

All of my guns do this with loaded-down reloads and also some commercial ammo. My Colt 1911 does it, my XD does it.

You could make sure your chamber doesn't have any crud built-up in it.

If the marks are a dark, flat black and sooty, that's all it is, don't worry about it. I assume your gun is functioning perfectly?

If you reload, when you vibrate the shells this will come right off.
If you don't reload, start saving your shells because you will reload one day and then you'll have a bunch of shells to get started with... or you can trade them to someone for ammo or cash who does reload.

I'm full of advice, some of it's even correct!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep my firearms clean as they came from the factory, and they all function at 100%...so it sounds like the normal soot issue that you guys are talking about.

I don't reload, but I pick up and store all of my spent cartridges in case I decide to start reloading, or if I come across anyone that wants a bunch of shells. I've got brass and steel, in 30.60 / 7.62x39 / .223 / 9mm / .45acp. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I agree with Tard, normal, for sure.

·
Registered
950 Posts
As long as the case dosn't get a bulge in it I wouldn't worry. Just a little blow-by.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Have the same thing when I use white box or reloads in my XD45. Not a problem. Gun functions well. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts