Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
R/T Performance said:
Ok Chris How about this
Sub 2500-3000 Round s had it since spring
Service 4500-5000 Round had it 1.75 years Note fired 8 rounds with 2 grains extra powder.No Damage :shock: (Long story lets just say the fan on my furnace is good for exzactly 2 grains :shock:
Tactical 300-500 Rounds only had it 3 Month comp only gun
I'm not going to say you were one of the lucky one's. What I am going to say is you made sure your's worked for you. This is something that it is important to do, and has _not_ been done on guns with low round counts. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying that tactical, yet.

So Clearly I must have been lucky Three times since it's an under built 9mm Frame :roll:
Well honestly you can only say 2 times so far :p

So if I put a 430 Hp motor in my truck that came with 230 stock Hp It will break :x
Guess I got lucky there to since it weighs 5200# and runs [email protected] MPH :roll:
Yeah, cause this has so much to do with what we are talking about, and you can't honestly claim that you belive that 430HP motor to be as relibale as it was stock. Of course if it's a truck; it's probally american and you are just use to it going tits up already.

Let's look at a small list of failures to examine why I said the .40 might be underbuilt or improperly designed.

Ejector breaking when inserting the mags the .40 sits the round higher reducing the clearence with the ejector, should have been redesigned.

Cracking locking blocks, the increased pressure in the gun from the .40 round cause the locking block to fail. Basic engineering princple ignored. Problem not prevalant on 9mm because of lower pressures.

Slide locking back. Improper mag design, should have been caught in function testing, if not in design.

I'm sure there are more...

All of those to me mean the .40 was not tested enough and was not engineered to be a .40 they where just like hey, we make this hole in the slide a little bigger, increase the size of the bore and chamber some and bend the mag feed lips we can get a .40 to fit...

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
87-51 said:
YES I do rely on this weapon with my life. How many rounds does it take to make you rely on a weapon? Enough to wear it out? Every weapon is a mechanical object that CAN fail. I don't care what it is. Most of the .40 "failures" I've heard about here have happened pretty much right off the bat. I've seen Kimbers fail, Glocks fail, etc, etc. Does that mean you shouldn't trust your life to them as well?
No it means you should make sure the gun works for you. I feel that after a few thousand rounds most of the failures should have happened already. I shoot about 300-500rd's every week right now. So my gun's round count will go up reguardless. As long as you follow the guideline for what parts to replace at what intervals and the gun is below it's service life, it should not be "worn out".

I am just wondering if this is really a valid problem or if it is just a perceived problem.
I feel there are valid problems. There are a lot of people posting they have issues, and for example the locking block more people looked and then relized they had it to. Issues exist with the design and execution of the gun. Hopefully they'll get them straightened out.

Chris

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have you called springfields armorers, engineers, president,etc etc, and enlightened them with your vast knowledge of all that is guns and offered your professional expertise to help them resolve the issues with the XD?? Or is it just for our benefit? It would seem to me that springfield would be the place to go with all of this. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Chris.. if you don't like your gun, sell it. I don't think you will have any trouble unloading it (pun intended) on any forum member here.

I will buy your malfunctioning gun. I start the bid at $250... that's not a bad pricefor a POS.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
TASF doesn't have any money!!! He would have to borrow it from Maverick... $276!!

Raymond

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most every new product gets rushed out to the market. Most of those do have defects or bugs that need to get worked out and the manufacturer has the mindset of fixing them over the first few years (especially car manyfacturers). That's why I usually don't buy a big ticket item (especially a car) until it's been through a few generations.

I understand the XD's have gone through several changes already, so they must be listening, and most importantly, they're taking action.

I would depend on mine in a life threatening situation. I like it, I trust it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
3 SA XD 40's no problems, if you are basing your knowledge on what you read on the forums, read other makers forums and you will find plenty of problems with thier firearms (even the perfect glocks have problems according to GT). People tend to report problems with thier firearms, if they don't have probems, they don't report it.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
XD-40 OD green model...2 years old almost 1000 rounds through it. No rust...no feed jams at all.

...still looking for the "problem" with the XD-40 to arise...like the "problem" with my Hi-Power that everyone talks about (that search has been on for 7 years...haven't seen it!).

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
354 Posts
xd4zero said:
3 SA XD 40's no problems, if you are basing your knowledge on what you read on the forums, read other makers forums and you will find plenty of problems with thier firearms (even the perfect glocks have problems according to GT). People tend to report problems with thier firearms, if they don't have probems, they don't report it.

He knows about GT, he posts smart little remarks over there also.

Crofrog I asked you already, but you didn't answer.

Why did you purchase the XD, after all of your research told you it was a crappy gun? or did you only decide to research it AFTER you bought it?
either way it seems like you weren't being too smart in your decisions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok,i"ll give you 280.00. Just past the 3800 round mark with my 40 .the only problem iv had was when i tried the pro mag 12 round mags.got rid of them and no problems again. Use mine for IDPA pistol matchs and the only problem i have is the lose nut behinde the grip(ME). going thru 12 rounds in 6 secounds or less ,reload then another 12 for about 300 rounds in a short moring of shooting and no problems, and i use factory ammo no reloads.It dose need a brother now so i"ll take it off your hands

·
Registered
81 Posts
TheWillis said:
xd4zero said:

He knows about GT, he posts smart little remarks over there also.
I've made 2 post at GT neither of which where "smart." That being said I have a presence on most forums because I need to research things. I spend most of my time hanging out at the forum in my sig line.

You guys have the highest complaint rate per capatia that says something.

Yes all guns have problems, we've been over this before you need to look at the rate the problems are occuring this is a very hard number to find with any degree of statiscal accuracy. So we did the best we could. It was well outside of the range of statistical noise.

Crofrog I asked you already, but you didn't answer.

Why did you purchase the XD, after all of your research told you it was a crappy gun? or did you only decide to research it AFTER you bought it?
either way it seems like you weren't being too smart in your decisions.
Whoops, I accidently posted my answer under my friends account at his house with out thinking.
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27568&start=15
Very bottom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Let me clarify: crofrog doesn't own an XD. I do.

The story begins in June. I honestly have no idea why, but I decided that shooting sounds pretty cool. Crofrog has, IIRC, always been a firearms enthusiast, but had been relatively dormant for a few years. He also was running mostly on "common knowledge," which we have discovered to be generally mendacious --- considering it's origins in gun rags, this is no surprise in retrospect, but hindsight is always 20/20. But I digress.

We were both 20 at the time, and plinking with a 10/22 and a 9mm UZI with great regularity. I was set to turn 21 on July 13th, and it dawned on us that I would be eligible for a pistol at that age. But what pistol to get?

Well, first of all, it had to be cheap. Second, it had to not suck. We didn't have any sort of rubric by which the quantity of suckitude embodied in a particular handgun could be evaluated objectively, but that didn't stop us. With this broken epistemology in hand, we proceeded to (a) read gun magazines and (b) check out gun shops.

Our eyes were attracted to the XD. It was kinda like the glock, in that it was cheap and lightweight, but unlike the glock, it felt like sex in your hand, and offered the reassurance of a grip safety. The loaded chamber indicator and cocking indicator also earned cool guy points in our fragile little minds.

We assumed accuracy to be moot in a novice pistolero's hands, so the only question that remained was reliability. Just how reliable *was* the XD, anyway? I mean, say what you want about glocks, they go bang every time you pull the trigger (in some ways, that is both a blessing and a curse, but there I go digressing again).

And that's how we stumbled upon XD talk. When looking for evidence of the reliability of this weapon, we came upon the 20,000 round torture test that Leibster put a stock XD through. By then, it was well into the second week of July, so in light of this recent tidbit, the XD was greenlighted.

Pay the money, wait the week, come back --- ah. I have a pistol. This is awesome.

For the first week, everything was great. We put about 500 rounds through it without a hitch. Next week, we put another 500 rounds through it --- and had a handful of failures to extract. But then, we shot WWB instead of UMC, so maybe it was just the ammo? We followed this up with a 1000 round stress test with both brands --- 4 FTXs with each type of ammo, no trend among magazines. But we noticed that the FTXs disappeared for the last 100 rounds. Next week, I put another 250 rounds through it without a hitch --- hadn't cleaned the weapon, either. It dawned on us that maybe getting CLP on the extractor was causing the problem. So we gun scrubbed it, and used a tiny amount of lube on the slide rails and barrel exterior only. Next week, 500 rounds, and more FTXs.

At this point, it was time to own up to the fact that the pistol had problems. Most likely the extractor had bought the farm. I go to buy a new extractor so that I may remedy this, but guess what? I can't. No parts for you, you silly civilian. And you wonder why I'm alienated?

Around this time, Chris turned 21 and picked up a glock. And then I realized just how stupid I felt fussing over ammo and minor lubrication issues --- it really shouldn't be a problem. If your gun only likes a certain type of ammo, if it has to be massaged just right in order to work, well, I don't want that to be my combat gun.

And the both of us had what alcoholics refer to as "a moment of clarity." What the **** were we busting our asses over this for? There are too many disparate things going wrong with the XD, and with too much frequency, for our tastes. We also came to realize that people saying "500 rounds, no problems so far" was downright silly. Just big-gay-al style silly. Sill-ay.

Which brings us to the present. There's another kind of gun that crofrog and I like to keep in an arms-length embrace: the 1911. It's a beautiful gun, fun to shoot, feels good in the hands, and reeks of nostalgia. But, speaking relatively, the odds of any particular 1911 behaving well are not so good. And we've come to conclude that the XD is the same sort of weapon. Sure, you can get a reliable XD --- but you can get a reliable Jennings if you try hard enough. That's not something we're inclined to do in a fighting gun. So for us, XD has got "toy" status.

I brought up the gist of this in a thread titled "Just how reliabled is the XD anyway?" The idea was to start up a conversation and see if we missed anything. What we encountered was zeal and myopia on a scale which impoverishes even the tennifer twinks of lore.

Crofrog has since decided to just drop all manner of manners and mushroom stamp people when they espouse incorrectness. I'm more chill, just kinda disenfranchised and wanting to share my experience with others as food for thought.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
crofrog said:
it wasnt always like this, it just happend recently. trust me, if you stick around long enough you will figure out who really knows what they are talking about.

as with any internet forum, the more popular it gets, the more missinformation gets spread, and the more "out of whack" it becomes.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
First off.. I would like to say... "Nice vocabulary!!"

Second.. Sorry if you got a lemon.. I believe the bidding is up to $280... I will go $285.. after that, I want a new gun..

I am well past the 5000 mark through my 9mm. and I can honestly say that I have never had a single hic-up. Really.. not one.

I am having one minor problem at the moment.. but it's not a manufacturers problem. I had the trigger bar duracoated, and now it takes a certain touch to rack the slide. It cycles the rounds just fine once it is loaded, but if you don't pull on it just right the trigger bar stops the slide from gliding along the rails.

Anyway.. the offer stands. I will buy your gun from you. I don't get the impression that you want to sell it though.

You do know that you can just send it back to Springfield and have whatever problems you are having fixed don't you?

Anyway.. good luck with your gun. If you relegate it to "toy" status.. well that just seems a shame. Better to sell it to someone else that will help it realize it's full combat ability.

Raymond

·
Registered
81 Posts
You just left out one little part. That between your gun having a **** load of FTX's (remember the 3 in one mag...) and me purchasing my handgun. We researched the **** out of this. Pistols, how the operate what makes them break, what is reliable what isn't all of that. Consumed me, completely consumed me. I've learned more about pistols than I wanted to know. I've done research on every single aspect of them, and then checked my research.

I've been on a quest for _truth_ not just bullshit. When ninjadroid posted the thread about "Just how reliable is the xd" people started being "XD twinks" in the exact same style you claim to see on GT.

I got no love for _any_ pistol. I simply picked the one that works the best for me, if someone comes out tomorrow with a better one. I'd purchase it. Sure I like my GLOCK, and I like Ninjadroids new Sig. If tomorrow GLOCKS turned out to be a steaming pile of **** I'd drop it in a heartbeat, or if HK comes out with the absolutely perfect pistol for my mission I'd switch.

Pistols are simply the easiest way to kill a man currently available that you can carry around everyday. Pistols are just tools. Would you expect your new cordless drill breaking all the time?

On that same note, would drilling 100 holes mean your new cordless drill is reliable?

Yeah all things break, it's just things with piss poor design and implementation break more often you dumb asses.

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
therooster said:
crofrog said:
it wasnt always like this, it just happend recently. trust me, if you stick around long enough you will figure out who really knows what they are talking about.
Perhaps, or perhaps it is as we stated Springfield’s quality control has gone down hill. If you are trying to meet production demands more often than not the quality of the product decreases. This can be seen in the fact they aren't allowing the park to cure before shipping it, and in the fact there are few spare parts available. If there are a slim amount of spare parts available parts; which are otherwise of questionable quality could be pushed into service instead of discarded.

as with any internet forum, the more popular it gets, the more missinformation gets spread, and the more "out of whack" it becomes.
Yes, weeding through the BS on the internet is difficult period. Perhaps the reason you are seeing more trouble reports is because there is an increase in readership and sales.

Chris

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.