Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been beat to death, but here it goes. I've been around this forum since I bought my first XD. The popular topic for as long as I've been around is the unreliability of the XD 40. I've put probably 3000 rounds of various rounds through my 4" without a problem. I've put less through my SC, but still no problem. I have two officers on my PD that have 4" XD 40s. Still not one problem. Is this really a problem with the weapon, or is it a shooter error? Maybe ammo, but I've used all sorts with no problems. Granted, I haven't used many reloads, but the ones I have used worked fine. I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but let's here your feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
i have shot nothign but ammo that i have bought from walmart through my XD 40 service model and have had to major problems. THE guide rod assembly fragged when teh gun was relatively new (189th round to be exact) and just recently, teh locking block had two cracks in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
87-51 said:
This has probably been beat to death, but here it goes. I've been around this forum since I bought my first XD. The popular topic for as long as I've been around is the unreliability of the XD 40. I've put probably 3000 rounds of various rounds through my 4" without a problem. I've put less through my SC, but still no problem. I have two officers on my PD that have 4" XD 40s. Still not one problem. Is this really a problem with the weapon, or is it a shooter error? Maybe ammo, but I've used all sorts with no problems. Granted, I haven't used many reloads, but the ones I have used worked fine. I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but let's here your feedback.
Yes there are major problems, you should send all of your XD40's to me immediatly for further investigation :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
87-51 said:
Is this really a problem with the weapon, or is it a shooter error? Maybe ammo, but I've used all sorts with no problems.
Shooter error? I was just about to ask how the shooter could be responsible but I guess if you don't clean and lube your weapon correctly, that would be one. It might be possible to not load the mag correctly?

For me:

The first 3 trips with about 500 rounds went without a hiccup. My fourth trip had 2 or 3 FTF's out of about 150 rounds. All 3 FTF's happened from the same box of ammo, the second box had no problems.
90% of ammo used has be WWB. (The 3 FTF's were WWB)

I do clean and lube after every range trip. Sometimes I do it when not needed but just looking for an excuse to hold my XD40!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
I had feed issues that were related to the magazine. A simple adjustment to the lips and I haven't had any problems since
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
gdpak said:
Shooter error? I was just about to ask how the shooter could be responsible but I guess if you don't clean and lube your weapon correctly, that would be one. It might be possible to not load the mag correctly?
Limp wristing, thumb placement, and the way you chamber a round can result in shooter error also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
[/quote]
Limp wristing, thumb placement, and the way you chamber a round can result in shooter error also.[/quote]

Thanks. I concur (sp?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
2200 rounds here without problems.

jonas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Around 500-550 and no problems here either. All WWB or Magtech.

-Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,955 Posts
Ive got around 1300 through my Tactical now, no issues whatsoever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Resident expert says I am not qualified to comment so post has been removed. I will post when I meet the experts standards. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
This is _exactly_ what I was refering too. All of you people above who have less than a few thousand rounds through your gun use it for daily carry?

What about the guns your officers carry on duty? How many rounds of duty ammo do they have through them. An OIS would be a horrible time to find out they don't like your duty ammo and it fails to feed 5% of the time, or has issues extacting or what not.

Yes you might have no problems now, or ever, but frankly you don't know. If I was using a gun with numerous documented problems. I would shoot the **** out of it to make sure mine was 100%. I'm getting a sinking feeling with the xd40's that hardly anything was modified between that and the 9mm. Which is why they are having so many problems. They are just generallly underbuilt and are handling an very much increased force.

So go out there and shoot your gun, and make sure it works.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
crofrog said:
This is _exactly_ what I was refering too. All of you people above who have less than a few thousand rounds through your gun use it for daily carry?

What about the guns your officers carry on duty? How many rounds of duty ammo do they have through them. An OIS would be a horrible time to find out they don't like your duty ammo and it fails to feed 5% of the time, or has issues extacting or what not.

Yes you might have no problems now, or ever, but frankly you don't know. If I was using a gun with numerous documented problems. I would shoot the **** out of it to make sure mine was 100%. I'm getting a sinking feeling with the xd40's that hardly anything was modified between that and the 9mm. Which is why they are having so many problems. They are just generallly underbuilt and are handling an very much increased force.

So go out there and shoot your gun, and make sure it works.

Chris
Ok Chris How about this
Sub 2500-3000 Round s had it since spring
Service 4500-5000 Round had it 1.75 years Note fired 8 rounds with 2 grains extra powder.No Damage :shock: (Long story lets just say the fan on my furnace is good for exzactly 2 grains :shock:
Tactical 300-500 Rounds only had it 3 Month comp only gun

So Clearly I must have been lucky Three times since it's an under built 9mm Frame :roll:
So if I put a 430 Hp motor in my truck that came with 230 stock Hp It will break :x
Guess I got lucky there to since it weighs 5200# and runs [email protected] MPH :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
So what kinda of problems does yours have :?:


Just say mine does this or that .instead of saying under built 9mm


Yes the finish on some are weak

Yes you need to upgrade or replace the guide rod regularly

The locking block may crack unless it has been updated

Extactor seems to be linked to 9mm

I still Love the gun and The feel and abilty to point and shoot it out ways the chance of having to have it repaired 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What about the guns your officers carry on duty? How many rounds of duty ammo do they have through them. An OIS would be a horrible time to find out they don't like your duty ammo and it fails to feed 5% of the time, or has issues extacting or what not.
Like I said, my personal one (that I carry on duty every day) has had around 3000 rounds through it. One of the officers has around 1500-2000 rounds through it. The other one recently purchased his and has put around 500 rounds through it. NO PROBLEMS.

YES I do rely on this weapon with my life. How many rounds does it take to make you rely on a weapon? Enough to wear it out? Every weapon is a mechanical object that CAN fail. I don't care what it is. Most of the .40 "failures" I've heard about here have happened pretty much right off the bat. I've seen Kimbers fail, Glocks fail, etc, etc. Does that mean you shouldn't trust your life to them as well?

I am just wondering if this is really a valid problem or if it is just a perceived problem.
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top