Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the CCI Mini-Mag 22LR in my Ruger MK III Hunter, and I'm not able to always find just one type of load. Both rounds are called "high velocity," but the hollow point has 36 grain loads, the round nose 40 grains. Both are copper plated. The price of the ammo is also the same ($6.47 per 100). Does either type of ammo cause more wear on the gun than the other? I know that a hollow point bullet makes a wider, spreading impact compared to a round nose, but I don't think I'll see much of this type of impact on a paper target with a cardboard backing. Should I be choosy???:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
No need to be choosy if the HP feeds OK out of the mag. Sometimes the HP rounds fail to feed properly. Had a Sig Mosquito that was picky but new Browning Buckmark eats anything you feed it. Consistantly have good results in using Fed Bulk and Remington Golden Bullets. Have read that Rugers are pretty much the same. If I am wrong I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct this statement.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Shoot whatever ammo you find most accurate and funtions in your pistol. I normally would not shoot high velocity ammo in my target pistols but the Ruger is tough enough to take it. Doubt if you will put enough rounds through it to make a difference in wear, which would be a lot! I shot CCI Standard Velocity in mine for target and CCI Stingers for pest control. Both were accurate and funtioned the pistol well.

·
Registered
830 Posts
well, I own all three gun mentioned here...i'd have to say the mosquito sucks with almost all ammo. mines don't even shoot right with cci minimag. but if you own a mk ruger or browning....you won't have a problem with any type of ammo. the only time you would have problem is the ammo itself.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
HP -Vs- FMJ: Don't really know if it makes that much difference on the .22 caliber, or anything that we're shooting for distances under 100 yards. Supposedly the HP design stabilize better; the weight is moved to the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts