Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my dilemma. I had an XDs 45 when they first came out and sold it because even though I have never been recoil sensitive the XDs 45 was just to painful to shoot more than 50 rounds at a time.

So last week I purchase a XDs 9 and took it to the range last night. I expected my new XDs to be a sweet shooter seeing as how its a 9mm. Wrong, my hand was killing me at the same 50 round mark as the XDS 45. Luckily I had my XDm9 3.8 and XDm9 5.25 with me so that I could shoot them while giving my hand a break from the XDs. I fired about 100 or more rounds through the XDs and called it a night.

Now I wish I would have kept the .45acp since its an issue with the grip and not the caliber.

I'm going to keep shooting it to see if I can get use to it. If not I will be picking up a Glock G26 to take its place. I need a good small 9mm CCW for summer months and I carried a G26 for 10 years and decided to replace it with the XDs since I like my XDm's so much.

Anyone else experience this and found a solution? PRP rubber grip tape does not work, I tried that with the .45acp I had. Seems I need something to round the sharp corners so that it doesn't feel like im shooting a 9mm IPhone.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i have never had any issue with recoil on my XDs 45 shoots softer than
my springfield champion... yea i could not believe it either...

if you want i will take the 9mm off your hands all you have to do is pay shipping and background check... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got an XDs 9 last week and have about 250 rounds through it. It's definitely an aggressive grip, although it doesn't seem to bother my hand. If your hand is hurting after 50 rounds, something is not right. Pain is sending you a message. Try a Shield or the G26.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
If you're sure its just the aggressivness of the grip surface and not a medical issue, try one of the rubber grip sleeves from Pachmyer or Hogue. I've used em several handguns in the past. Mostly to "build-up" a grip that's too small for my hand, but they do a pretty nice job of squishy-ing up the hard surfaces too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to try a G26, I owned one for 10 years and put thousands of rounds through it. I decided to get an XDs because I wanted something I can throw into a pocket when I didn't want to carry in a holster and the G26 is just a little to big for that for my clothing anyway. I have a friend with a shield and I plan on barrowing it to try out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The grip isn't to aggressive its to sharp. Its like holding onto a cell phone with squared off edges. I like aggressive grip texture. I have sandpaper decal grips on three of my guns and love them.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If it's the ergonomics of the more square'ish grip, then the shield my be good for you. Give it a try. Many folks here love theirs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mustang,

I know what you mean. If you look at the grip, it's only 9/10ths of an inch wide. It's difficult to make a grip that narrow, that has to be a certain length to allow for the mag well, and not end up with something that's difficult to comfortably hang on to. Imagine a 1" piece of plywood cut out with a sabre saw and slightly rounded at the corners, and that's about what you have. Now, put a 230 grain, .45acp cartridge in the mix and you have a recipe for discomfort.

The hand is a funny thing. Because we do all our labor with our hands, God, in his infinite wisdom put a significant amount of effort in designing the hand to be filled with the necessary complexity to do those tasks. He ended up with a wonderful, albeit rather delicate structure that "feels" abuse rather quickly. And, despite what the average Neanderthal may say, shooting the XD-S is a bit abusive.

The good news is, there is no minimum number of rounds you have to fire at the range through this wonderful little gun. You can take other guns there and enjoy them, and then put the little XD-S through its paces for 10 or 25 rounds, just to keep in practice. Marathon shooting sessions are neither necessary, or suggested. When I go to the range, I shoot several guns, and then, before I leave, I burn off the carry ammo that I've had in the gun for the last couple of weeks, and then a couple of mags of ball just for fun, and call it a day. 15 shots. Trust in the gun's reliability comes from a few hundred rounds of flawless performance, but no one says those 200 rounds have to be fired on the same day.

Best.

Dan

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to keep it. The reason I bought it was for its size even though I don't care to own guns that I can take to the range and shoot several hundred rounds in a session to stay proficient. My decision is based on the thought that if I ever use it in a self defense situation its only going to be 7 rounds maybe more if a mag change is needed and I doubt that any feeling in my hand is going to even register.

I already know that I am proficient with it from my range session the other day. All my groups were tight and slightly low and left but not enough to matter. The low and left will disappear when I add the PRP trigger kit to lighten the trigger pull to get it close to what I'm use to. I'll take it with me to the range and swap between it and other guns to avoid the pain it causes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mustang,

Glad you're keeping it. But you shouldn't need hundreds of rounds per range session to remain proficient with it. Any gun of a similar make and caliber can offer adequate proficiency training. When stress is added, mistakes are magnified, but then too, is proficiency. I love my full sized 1911. But I love my compact 1911 too. I shoot the full sized much more than the compact. But the compact is second nature too.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have an XDs 3.3 9mm that I love. I have made 2 modifications that make it a much better easier shooting gun. I installed a Pierce Grip extension on both of my compact mags and then cut the lip off so that it is just enough to give my pinky a full grip and no more. I also installed Talon grip tape on the grip and on my modified extensions. When I shoot it I use a firm two hand grip with my gun hand as high up as possible but not high enough to get bit by the slide. I have shot an XDs 3.3 .45 without these two mods and noticed a huge difference. Granted it is a 9mm vs .45 but I noticed a big difference caliber aside. Here is a picture of the mods I have done to my XDs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Eh, it's not like you're going to war with this thing.

If you can shoot a couple mags, all on target, no failures, and be able to carry it comfortably, then you have yourself a nice CCW.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^ this is why I decided to keep it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I fully agree with the war statement. I will never go without a pocket .380 and I do not like shooting them at all. I only shoot them enough to be proficient. I have plenty of other guns to shoot for fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with putting 2 or 3 magazine through it every month or so if it is your main carry gun. Most of us including the O/P have other fun guns to shoot for fun. Glad you decided to keep it. It's a great pistol!
Take care, R.J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts