Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an XDm9 4.5. I have to say I love it!

I hadn't been planning to purchase another pistol, but since the promo came out, I've been considering picking up one of the sub compacts. I'm a big guy so concealment of my current weapon isn't really a problem, but I can see the appeal of having a shorter grip to eliminate any potential printing.

I can't really justify it as a "necessity" since the weapons I have are sufficient to meet our current needs, so I'm looking for an argument that this deal is just too good to pass up. Is that really the case?

Average price of a magazine is around $25 (x3 = $75) and the double magazine pouch is $34, so the value of the offer is around $115. Does this promo happen frequently enough there isn't really any need to jump on it?

There are so many other weapons I want to get. I just hate to pass up a deal on stuff I would have bought anyway if I did get a pistol.

·
Registered
329 Posts

I hadn't been planning to purchase another pistol, but since the promo came out, I've been considering picking up one of the sub compacts. I'm a big guy so concealment of my current weapon isn't really a problem, but I can see the appeal of having a shorter grip to eliminate any potential printing.

I can't really justify it as a "necessity" since the weapons I have are sufficient to meet our current needs, so I'm looking for an argument that this deal is just too good to pass up. Is that really the case?

Average price of a magazine is around $25 (x3 = $75) and the double magazine pouch is $34, so the value of the offer is around $115. Does this promo happen frequently enough there isn't really any need to jump on it?

There are so many other weapons I want to get. I just hate to pass up a deal on stuff I would have bought anyway if I did get a pistol.
Same promo happened last year at around this same time. It seemed to coincide a little with the release of the Xdm 3.8 compact model and may be set up now due to the new Xdm 5.25. So what I am saying is that while it looks like sort of a yearly promo it may really be a new release promo. That means you could take a chance and wait a year to see if it rolls around again but it may not if it happens to be a new Xdm release promo and they don't release a new Xdm. I have always gone by the plan that if I want something and can get a great deal just get it. I can't tell you how many times I have questioned purchasing something that is on sale only to wait too long and have it be gone when I decide to go for it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wouldn't buy a gun just because of a promo (what ? I just did?)

it made me buy a gun now that I was going to buy anyway.... (5.25xdm)

I wouldn't buy one just because of the promo... but if you expect you will buy one within a year... why not get it now?

and the promo is worth 100$ in my opinion if you were going to buy them extras anyway ,or 75$ cash if you sold them

buy the gun you want because you want to have fun shooting it.... freebies just makes justifying the decision much easier

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I hadn't been planning to purchase another pistol
Did you plan on purchasing 3 more magazines ?

Did you plan on purchasing the SA holder ?

You didn't plan on picking up another gun, so IMO the current price of the firearm, minus the $115 you mentioned, is how much 3 magazines and a holder will cost you.

Is the promo worth it, based on the information you have given ... HELL NO !!

Example question:
It's the super duper item we're dangling in your face, and if you call right now, we'll send you a second super duper item for free ... Do you grab at the phone, when they offer to send you a second item when you only have to pay the additional shipping and handling charges ?
The promo is like the infomercial.
Great if you already want the gun, but if you didn't want another gun, you're gonna pay an awful lot for shipping and handling.
I can't really justify it as a "necessity" since the weapons I have are sufficient to meet our current needs
Don't talk yourself into what you don't want or need, Ed :wink:

Just because it's "on sale" doesn't mean you have to buy it ... No matter what it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
+1 to AZXD. Personally the "XD Gear" is a joke to me, and not worth the $85 value or whatever they state. I'd gladly trade the XD Gear for 3 more mags and call it even. Now, if you're already planning on buying an XD/XDM, sure cash in on this promo.

If you have guns that suit your needs - then don't bother.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Buying my 1st XDm made me but my next 2 (lol). Funny, I made a decision when the "compact" came out that it wasn't a big deal and not practical for me since I don't c/c . . . bought that one too! Then went on to my newest 1911 TRP Operator. It's truly an addiction.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Here let me twist your arm >>>>\\\\\\>>>>>?

·
Registered
60 Posts

No, it's not worth it because, as you state: "I hadn't been planning to purchase another pistol". To buy a gun just to get 3 free mags and a mag holster is nuts. Do you really NEED 3 more mags and a mag holster ? If so, just go spend $115 on 3 mags and a mag holster, or $84 for two mags and a mag holster, or if you don't shoot competition just buy TWO mags for $50 cause you'll never use the mag holster. I live with two 16 round mags for my XD9 ..one for the range, and one loaded with Gold Dot 124 +P for home defense. I might get ONE more mag for the range, so my wife can be loading one while I shoot the other (or v.v). If you are going to buy the second gun anyway, and can get a good price on it, then by all means do so. But to spend $500+ for a gun you weren't planning on buying just to get three free mags and a mag holster, to me, is not "worth it".

·
Registered
60 Posts
A few weeks ago when I got mine, it was coupled with some really great low deals on XD's. I paid $399 for the XD40 (which, in California, is a great deal, stupid prices here), and when you included the mags it made me jump on a gun I'd been waiting on for a while.

Bottom line, if you are going to buy the gun in the near future anyway, it's a good time to do it for the extra mags.

If you weren't going to buy a gun, I don't see it as a reason to go impulse buy.

It makes a good deal better, but it's not a reason to run out and buy a gun just so you can have 5 mags.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They also did the promo the year before last when I picked up my XDm. So that would make this the third year running to my knowledge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd agree with most of the responses already stated. I went in the store looking to buy another pistol and it just so happened the xd was on sale and they had the promo goin on. If I didn't have the money or wasn't actually looking to purchase another pistol I wouldn't have bought it based on the promo.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
In my opinion...yes it is. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts

I had been thinking about an XD40 SC for a while, and this promotion pushed me over the edge. Even if you are not gonna use all the mags, (I will at the range) You will get a better resale price if you ever decide to sell. I wouldn't have bought now if it hadn't been for the gear promotion, though now I am glad I bought it, as I like it better than my 27.
tr

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes its worth it! It's really worth it if you get the essentials package. Gun and two mags is all you get in a hard case. You don't get the brief case with all the extras. I picked up a nib xdsc 9mm for 399 and got 3 free mags. Well worth it, I'm getting two more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just bought a gun and found out about the promo after the sale. Icing on the cake for sure.

Tim
Same thing with me. Purchased an XD9SC and later heard about the promo. The promo wouldn't have mattered had I known beforehand. The SC has the best fit for my hand and I like the balance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes its worth it! It's really worth it if you get the essentials package. Gun and two mags is all you get in a hard case. You don't get the brief case with all the extras. I picked up a nib xdsc 9mm for 399 and got 3 free mags. Well worth it, I'm getting two more.
2 more mags, or two more SD's?
tr

1 - 20 of 30 Posts