Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I put down money on one I wanted to know that do you guys CC the 29? I have being seeing some 10mm ammo at two GS today and some HP 10mm ammo.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I rented a G20 to see what the 10mm fuss was all about, and I wasn't impressed..
I'd take a 45ACP Glock over the 10mm Glock myself..YMMV

A G30S will be thinner and lighter if you intend to use it for CCW...

·
Banned
0 Posts
357 sig doesn't have enough mojo for you?:D

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Before I put down money on one I wanted to know that do you guys CC the 29? I have being seeing some 10mm ammo at two GS today and some HP 10mm ammo.
I own a G20 and G29. I carry a G26 daily. Just can't rationalize carrying the G29. AAMOF, should probably sell the G29, as I never shoot it...do shoot the G20 some, though.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I keep thinking I want one, but it wouldn't be my EDC and when I need 10mm I have no problem carrying my G20.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I say get it and carry it when you feel your more likely to need that kind of power... Like hiking or bad parts of tone or just whenever you say f'it

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I rented a G20 to see what the 10mm fuss was all about, and I wasn't impressed..
I'd take a 45ACP Glock over the 10mm Glock myself..YMMV

A G30S will be thinner and lighter if you intend to use it for CCW...
The ammo makes a big difference.

For 2 legged predator carry, I'd be inclined to go 30s as well.

I love my 20 though!

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I own a G20 and G29. I carry a G26 daily. Just can't rationalize carrying the G29. AAMOF, should probably sell the G29, as I never shoot it...do shoot the G20 some, though.
I too, own a G20 and G29, (huge 10mm fan :D) and while I liked the idea of the G29 before buying it, I have carried it very few times. I also thought I'd like my G30, but never carry it much either. Maybe it's just their blocky feel?:confused: I think I'd like a G29S if they ever made one because I LOVE my G30S, so much that I bought a second one. :D

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I had a guy a couple of weeks ago wanted to trade his G29 for my Sig P290 and I'd wanted to get a 10mm as I'd never had one. We took the 29 put to the range and after a few rounds I passed. Maybe the G20 is manageable but the 29 was not a fun gun to shoot. If it had been the 20 I'm almost certain I'd have made the trade.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
My 20 was pretty docile with Underwood loads pushing 180 gr at 1300fps honestly.

Follow ups would be a bit quicker than a standard .44 mag load for sure :)

The perk a 29 offers is that you can swap in a .40 or .357 Sig barrel for social work and go 10mm for woods carry.

Conversion barrels are around 125 I believe. The 10mm mags will work with .40, I think they do fine for the Sig round too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
no not overkill. it's still a handgun cartridge, so it's not going to have that hammer of thor power either way. check out the thunder .50 bmg handgun, that might be closing in on overkill... if it wasn't a single shot. (not saying that handgun rounds are weak, just that they are weak compared to rifle rounds. if a 223, or a 308 isn't over kill then I don't think a handgun round could be.)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, awesome guys and thank you for all of your comments, I think now I'm going to rent one at the range sometime this week and I will come back with a feedback. The 30S that I have will do the job along with the G27 /w .357 sig barrel. I shoot those good but I just might want to get one for kicks.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I wouldn't say it's overkill necessarily, since all handgun rounds are underpowered in the grand scheme of things. But it may be more than you want to handle or can shoot accurately in a compact handgun. I'd say try one out with FULL POWER 10mm loads (many loads labeled as "10MM" are actually loaded to lower pressures closer to that of the .40 S&W) and see if you like it and can hit with it. If so, and you like it, and can afford the ammo to train and practice with, go for it! The G20/29 is a great 10MM platform, and I plan to get a G20 Gen4 as a backpacking/bear defense gun at some point. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I don't own one and to each their own but like someone said, it's a handgun round and regardless of caliber, has limits. When I attended the Gunsite Academy, the instructors made fun of those guys who came into class armed with the likes of a 10mm. Not picking on the round so much as the inability of the shooter to hit the target accurately and in a timely manner.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I don't own one and to each their own but like someone said, it's a handgun round and regardless of caliber, has limits. When I attended the Gunsite Academy, the instructors made fun of those guys who came into class armed with the likes of a 10mm. Not picking on the round so much as the inability of the shooter to hit the target accurately and in a timely manner.
While I agree with the on average Gunsite results, with regular 10mm loads, I can run my G20 as fast and accurately as my G17. And actually run it better than my G22. That being said, the G20 and 10mm in general, IMO, has more of a push than a snap, compared to a .40, with the G20 feeling and reacting more closely to the G17's recoil reaction. Just my personal experience and .02, which, is all it's worth. :)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Full tilt 10mm wouldn't be terribly fun for a class...dummies should've used the sissy range fodder loads for it!
Internet Warriors, Mall Ninja!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts