Springfield XD Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well it seems you are in the wrong business as a writer about firearm cartridges. The 10mm is the
cartridge of the future. A very flat shooting cartridge with enough knock down power to stop anything on the North American range, four legs, two legs or crawling. Extremely fine stopping power at two hundred yards from a 6” barrel. Just because the FBI has a bunch of weak handed folks who cannot endure the recoil, does not make the 10mm a bad cartridge.
“ If you cannot run with the winners, then stay on the Front Porch”

·
Registered
29,565 Posts
Well it seems you are in the wrong business as a writer about firearm cartridges. The 10mm is the
cartridge of the future. A very flat shooting cartridge with enough knock down power to stop anything on the North American range, four legs, two legs or crawling. Extremely fine stopping power at two hundred yards from a 6” barrel. Just because the FBI has a bunch of weak handed folks who cannot endure the recoil, does not make the 10mm a bad cartridge.
“ If you cannot run with the winners, then stay on the Front Porch”
Except the FBI never even considered using the full power loads.

Basically, you’re repeating a lie.

·
Premium Member
17,705 Posts
Kinda miss my RIA 10mm but it still seemed like a round I would never use in real life. All the bears around here are pretty harmless.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Ah the its better cause I like it argument.

The 40 will still be around in 50 yrs.
just like 38/357 or most any other caliber.

Shoot what you enjoy and are comfortable doing so.

Dont listen to the “this is the one you need” crowd.

Was shooting 40 before the big 08 ammo crisis and when it was in short supply (9mm etc) it was not to hard to find 40 ammo.

Sometimes not being a follower is a good thing.

You dont always have to try to be one of the cool kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Idaho pawnshop had some 8 pistols great prices..Glock, H&K ct. All .40s/. and NO One wants a .40after the FBI went to 9mm.
Good thing. .40 ammo is cheaper these days. The .357 SIG is on the verge of Bye BYE as a caliber..sold mine./ I also sold my .45 GAP pistols. 10mm. .45 ACp or .45 Colt even .44 Magnum are what I like.
Too bad its in Idaho. Id be interested in cking um out.
Oh well thought all the guns in Idaho were potato caliber anyway.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
You know, everytime I hear the question about .40S&W being dead, I just laugh ..
Do you really believe they gonna stop making .40S&W ammo ? come on, be real !!!
With the thousand (if not millions) of guns made by every gun manufacturer in that caliber, do you really think is a dead round ?
They're still making 22 short, .25acp, 32acp, even 9x18 Makarov, and you worry about the .40S&W ?

Most of the cops I know, don't want the 9mm replacements, they want to keep their .40s

And whoever said the 357Sig is on its way out, think again, all the guys from Air Marshals, DEA and Troopers that shot at our range,
use nothing but 357Sig.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think the .40 will go anywhere. To many handguns still being made with this caliber. Besides to many people love the round.

Reactions: Pandaz3

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I love the 40S&W! It's a great round and I have a couple of handguns chambered in that round. I also have 9mm and 45ACP as well. All are great and serve a purpose.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Since my wife just commandeered my XDM10 5.25, I ordered 1000 rounds of Sig Sauer 180 gr FMJ 10 MM. it has a stated Muzzle velocity of 1250 FPS, and I just looked up the sister ammo to it from Sig, still 180 Grain FMJ and it is 985 FPS, so a 265 fps difference, Underwood 180 Grain 40 S&W JHP is 1100 Fps, my choice for 40 is Underwood 155 Grain XTP JHP at 1300 fps., My 10 MM choice is Underwood 155 Grain XTP at 1500 FPS, still 200 fps difference

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not in my arsenal, it’s not. I have much love for my XDE 45 but if .40 S&W would’ve been a caliber option, that’s what mine would’ve been.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not dead, just not in style.
It's actually pretty easy to get s.d. ammo that moves 150-165 grain bullets at 1200-1300 fps.
They're also generating from 459-595 ft/lbs. So I would think that it's a fairly effective round.
There has been a lot of talk about the improvements made in projectiles and propellents in the 9mm.
But I'm pretty sure that the 9 is not the only caliber that has benefited from these improvements.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not dead, just not in style.
It's actually pretty easy to get s.d. ammo that moves 150-165 grain bullets at 1200-1300 fps.
They're also generating from 459-595 ft/lbs. So I would think that it's a fairly effective round.
There has been a lot of talk about the improvements made in projectiles and propellents in the 9mm.
But I'm pretty sure that the 9 is not the only caliber that has benefited from these improvements.
OMG...THIS discussion AGAIN???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh... And not "hotter like 10mm". It's not 10mm. That's why it is 40. There is no room to load it hot. There is no such spec for 40 +p. And then there are some that suggest 180 gr leaves too little room in the case and causes dangerous over pressures. Not sure I buy that... But point is... There is no room.
Although it is not a recognized spec, you can load a .40 S&W a bit hotter. Just ask Buffalo Bore:

Don't believe that just because a box of ammo has 10mm written on the side, that the manufacturer loads it any hotter than they do their .40 S&W. Don't you just love paying more and not getting more? Here is an eye-opening comparison between .40S&W and 10mm by Paul Harrell:

Don't get me wrong here. 10mm is indeed a more powerful round than the .40S&W if all of the SAAMI specs are followed. But as we can see in my examples above, not everyone follows the rules.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts