Springfield XD Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
I would say the primary reason 10 MM was dropped in favor of the 40 S&W was to reduce the circumference of the grip so people (men or women) with smaller hands could more easily grip the gun, power was the same as was round capacity.

The 40 is a compromise between the 9 MM's capacity and the big bore of a 45. The 40 had a advantage over the 45 in the higher pressure offered a little flatter shooting.

A bigger entrance hole will rarely get smaller, modern bullets do expand, but they expand in proportion to caliber and speed. I think that 9 and 40 have the extra speed over the 45 to ensure better expansion. Personally I will shoot +P, but not +P+ in a 9, so that makes my 9 carry round (Underwood 125 Gold Dot +P) slower than my carry 40 round (Underwood 155 XTP)

I carry most calibers now and then, but out and about it is 40 that usually gets the nod
You could say that, but there is zero evidence to back that up. The few shooters that had difficulty qualifying with the 1076 were issued the 1086, with a slightly shorter trigger reach, and qualified just fine.

The “small hands” theory is an internet myth that refuses to die.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
There’s a pretty substantial difference in velocity, though...usually a 20% or greater gain in 10mm.

It’s like comparing .38 special and .357 Magnum....

Or 10mm and .41 Magnum.
But people whine about 40 recoil and snap. Go figure.
I know I know like a 45 more push than snap blah blah blah.

Learn to handle it (recoil etc) or shoot 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
I would say the primary reason 10 MM was dropped in favor of the 40 S&W was to reduce the circumference of the grip so people (men or women) with smaller hands could more easily grip the gun, power was the same as was round capacity.

The 40 is a compromise between the 9 MM's capacity and the big bore of a 45. The 40 had a advantage over the 45 in the higher pressure offered a little flatter shooting.

A bigger entrance hole will rarely get smaller, modern bullets do expand, but they expand in proportion to caliber and speed. I think that 9 and 40 have the extra speed over the 45 to ensure better expansion. Personally I will shoot +P, but not +P+ in a 9, so that makes my 9 carry round (Underwood 125 Gold Dot +P) slower than my carry 40 round (Underwood 155 XTP)

I carry most calibers now and then, but out and about it is 40 that usually gets the nod
They expand at the velocity they are designed to... Which is what ever they have. And over expansion equals under penetration. You don't choose a caliber for expansion.

Fact is, there is zero meaningful advantage of 40 ballistics to any other common defensive cartridge. Zero. Fact is, 9 is more capacity, 45 is bigger hole. It's a fact, lower recoil allows fast follow ups. Those are tangible advantages that can be used to select what the shooter wants. None of that is a reason to not choose 40 for some, but 40 has no real advantage over any cartridge. It was litteraly designed for compromise, which automatically dooms it to... Master of none.

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
You could say that, but there is zero evidence to back that up. The few shooters that had difficulty qualifying with the 1076 were issued the 1086, with a slightly shorter trigger reach, and qualified just fine.

The “small hands” theory is an internet myth that refuses to die.
I wear 2xl gloves. I put the smallest back strap on my XDm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Own a few 40 cals. Glocks, Smith and KelTec. With the flood of cheap 40 cal LE trade ins, does anyone think the 40 will be dead soon? The 40 cal pistols will be around for awhile. I have shot the 40 for years and reload for it also. I have no problem with running or carrying a 40.

·
Registered
28 Posts
People that carry come in different height, weight, hand strengths, ages, disabilities, eye sight abilities, reflexs, speed and so on.

Everyone is different on what feels good in their hands, how much recoil they can handle, type of sights they need to see good and so on.

The situations that people are in the majority of the time that they may need to defend themselves is different too and or occasionally changes.

We have a choice of many different size guns, calibers, types of ammo, and grains of ammo to choose from to meet or adjust to are physical abilities or different situations we are in.

Example for me, I live in an apartment with many people close by on the other sides of the wall so for home defense I adjust my home protection gun caliber and type of ammo to still neutralize the threat with out taking out my neighbors with one of my rounds. On the other hand, I am a Bounty Hunter with bad people hiding behind walls, cars and so on who could want to neutralize me and on those excursions I could want a more powerful type calibar or type ammo that best suits that need.

So, I can see the different pros and cons on what caliber someone would want to carry and why without a right or wrong answer. One shoe doesn't fit all and again it's great to have the choices we have to meet those different needs whether its situational or physical constraints.

·
Registered
23 Posts
10mm will solve all your 40 headaches. So long at the 10mm carries on and grows in popularity, I am unconcerned about what happens to the 40. Owned a few 40's but never again. Start with a Glock 20 and you will be hooked.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have five 10 MM's including a unimpressive G-20 (Ranked 4 0f 5 on my list) I do have a heavy EAA Witness Elite at Number 1 closely followed by my XDM10 5.25". I do not have a convenient concealed carry 10MM, I had bought my first 10 MM a G-29, for that purpose, but it did not work for me

I have to drop to a 40 for carry, my XD45 seems too bulky and my 1911 is a bit short on capacity

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
10mm will solve all your 40 headaches. So long at the 10mm carries on and grows in popularity, I am unconcerned about what happens to the 40. Owned a few 40's but never again. Start with a Glock 20 and you will be hooked.
Dont have a headache or a 10mm so theres that.
Not concerned about what happens to 10mm. Never owned one never will.
My fodees work just fine.
Also you couldn’t give me a gun with Glock on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Started with a Glock, sold it to a pawn shop for $75. Wont shoot another one. Worst grip angle of any pistol I've ever handled (in the hundreds so far).

·
Registered
64 Posts
40 came out too late for me. Too many handguns already in a variety of calibers. BUT, I shot a buddies XD in 40 and it was great. Sure hope it's not going away. If I was a new shooter I'd give it a serious look.

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Dont have a headache or a 10mm so theres that.
Not concerned about what happens to 10mm. Never owned one never will.
My fodees work just fine.
Also you couldn’t give me a gun with Glock on it.

Yah. If I want something stronger than my 40, I'd probably jump up to 44mag. Just as the 9mm guys say when looking at 40, Going from 40 to 10 just wouldn't be enough of a change to make it worth the hassle. Honestly, I get that as well. If I hadn't lost my 9mm in a robbery, I wouldn't have purchased a 40, but since it did, I got something that was just a bit more. Then it came down to me liking a gun chambered in 40 more than the 45s I looked at. If I had fallen in love with a gun chambered just in 9, I would have gone that route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Idaho pawnshop had some 8 pistols great prices..Glock, H&K ct. All .40s/. and NO One wants a .40after the FBI went to 9mm.
Good thing. .40 ammo is cheaper these days. The .357 SIG is on the verge of Bye BYE as a caliber..sold mine./ I also sold my .45 GAP pistols. 10mm. .45 ACp or .45 Colt even .44 Magnum are what I like.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts