Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on the forums and my handguns have been collecting dust.

I am resurrecting them to get ready to go back into training and competition shooting.

But is the 40sw now a dead breed? Yes, I am in agreement at 9mm with the right ammo is probably the way to go. I was thinking of selling my 40’s (XDM 4.5 and XDM 5.25), but will I have a hard time selling them?

Should I just embrace the caliber? (Reloading is pretty fun with the 40 as you can make it soft as a 9, or hotter like a 10mm- think competition).

Or are they now paperweights and I should look into getting a 9mm upper to swap it out?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm old enough to remember the first time the FBI used gelatin, computer programs and interviews with emergency room doctors to declare the 9MM was the best thing since sliced bread.

Some disastrous shoot outs later the 10MM and then the .40 S&W were born.

Anytime money and ease of increasing qualification scores enters into the calculations, survival of the LEOs is not the true aim of the program.

I do, sometimes, carry a 9MM. Mostly the carry guns are .40s. I'm working on some 9's to get them to shoot as good as my P07 .40, just not there yet. Got a .40 and .45 to work with, too.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
For ME
I own 0 9mm guns.
I own several 40/45 cal hand guns.
So IMO its alive and well and in 08 and even this current panic event when needed 40 is usually still there when 9 and even 45 are wiped out.

And reloading 40/45 is fun as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
My duty weapon was a Glock 35. And backup was a Glock 27. Both .40 S&W’s. I still have them and would never trade them in. I love them so much that the G35 is my bedside weapon.

I do have several .45 ACP’s and love them as well for different reasons. But concealing a 45 in south Florida is not easy.

So recently I purchased a Springfield Armory Hellcat which is a 9 MM for my EDC. Solely because of its size and capacity.

So, although I LOVE my 40’s, I’ve also embraced the other calipers.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
So awesome... Another "is the 40 dead" thread. First, it really should not matter what anyone thinks to whether you shoot 40 or not. And second, when you Google 40, and most the hits are "is the 40 dead" threads... That should tell you something.

Choose ammo based on your needs. Shoot more. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
622 Posts
No the .40 isn't dead. While my main EDC is a 9mm I do still carry a 40 occasionally during the winter. I do prefer a 40 cal sidearm over a 9mm while hog hunting. The .40 fills the gap between 9mm and 45 perfectly and for that reason it's still a great option.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
While 40S&W maybe dead in some peoples eyes/mind. It is not for me. I have 3 and do not plan on parting with them. Back in 2013, 40S&W was easily found, when 9mm and 45acp were not. Because of that, I will keep my 40s. Also have 357 Sig barrels for 2 of them. Another ammo that was readily available when 9 and 45 were not.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on the forums and my handguns have been collecting dust.

I am resurrecting them to get ready to go back into training and competition shooting.

But is the 40sw now a dead breed? Yes, I am in agreement at 9mm with the right ammo is probably the way to go. I was thinking of selling my 40’s (XDM 4.5 and XDM 5.25), but will I have a hard time selling them?

Should I just embrace the caliber? (Reloading is pretty fun with the 40 as you can make it soft as a 9, or hotter like a 10mm- think competition).

Or are they now paperweights and I should look into getting a 9mm upper to swap it out?
Oh... And not "hotter like 10mm". It's not 10mm. That's why it is 40. There is no room to load it hot. There is no such spec for 40 +p. And then there are some that suggest 180 gr leaves too little room in the case and causes dangerous over pressures. Not sure I buy that... But point is... There is no room.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh... And not "hotter like 10mm". It's not 10mm. That's why it is 40. There is no room to load it hot. There is no such spec for 40 +p. And then there are some that suggest 180 gr leaves too little room in the case and causes dangerous over pressures. Not sure I buy that... But point is... There is no room.
I lighter 135g bullet would give the case a little more room.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
While 40S&W maybe dead in some peoples eyes/mind. It is not for me. I have 3 and do not plan on parting with them. Back in 2013, 40S&W was easily found, when 9mm and 45acp were not. Because of that, I will keep my 40s. Also have 357 Sig barrels for 2 of them. Another ammo that was readily available when 9 and 45 were not.
Dude, I am usually a sucker for niche... Why I don't have a 357 Sig I don't know. I can get a 40 barrel for my 10mm... Which means I can get a 357 barrel. Now I personally don't see the need to get a 40 barrel... Cause I bought a 10mm. However, it would be prudent to get one, just for the simple availability and option to run a 40 2011. My coworker bought my last 10mm 2011 to make it a 40. Simple barrel swap.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Dude, I don't even reload, so I'm no expert on the subject. I just know in general. To make 40 fit in a 9mm frame, there is very little room. And to repeat what another member likes to point out... 40 wasn't cause 10 was too powerful, it was to approximate 45 ACP ballistics which it does. A little heavier that 9,a little faster than 45. So it does its job, with no room for extra.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Alive and kickin' in my custom gun shown in avatar pic.

I had thought of 40 as a rather useless in between caliber ... until I got serious about competition and decided to invest in a limited division gun. For that 40 works well, best imho.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts