Springfield XD Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is Springfield discontinuing the .40 cal. in XD series?

15K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  JMag 
#1 ·
My EDC is a XD 40 sub and I really like it. I started shopping for another Xd in 40 cal. mostly to see what they have. Two different gun stores said they were either discontinued or will be in 40 cal. Has anyone heard the same? I hope its not true.

#3 ·
Most are are dropping the .40 and .357 Sig calibers for civilian sales because they are no longer popular.
Sig even pulled both calibers from their non cop web site.

The last two years before the panic you could give away a used .40 in my area. No dealers would take them even for consignment sales.
I dumped all but 1 several years ago. The one I kept is an XD so it isn't worth much anyway.

#4 ·
I have XD40 Service Mod 2 and a 357 Sig Barrel for it, a XD357, and a XD40 SC Mod 2, all that I bought new 2+ years ago for $320. I also own another XD40 SC Mod 2 that I paid a good bit more for a year earlier. I own a XDS40 Mod 1 and another in Mod 2. But they are scarce now.

#5 ·
More people dumping .40 S&W means more .40 S&W for me. The .45 ACP is also going through a similar issue. SIG has basically abandoned the cartridge for their P320 series. Beretta, HK, and FN have all stated they will not make a striker fired gun in .45 ACP. Springfield Armory has decided to curtail their .45 ACP line too. All they have listed is the XDM 4.5" with fiber optic or threaded barrel along with the 5.25" competition model and just a single XDE gun too. Gone is the XD XDM compacts in .45 ACP.

9mm is now the predominant cartridge for the US market and in all honestly. I fine with it since I already have what I want and none of the stuff coming out today interests me one bit.

The only gun the 1911 is still doing fairly well in is the 1911 and that's because everyone makes a copy of the damn thing. But the striker fired era is 9mm from now on.

#8 ·
S&W is not likely to drop the 40 S&W, a signature round, they are now my favorite 40's. Glock is hanging on to it's signature round the 45 GAP as well, I have 357 Sig conversion barrels for my XD40 Service and M&P40C 3.6", plus I own a G-33, a 357 Sig model, and a XD357 so while I am not exclusive to the 40 I do go with the kissing cousins now and again.

I have a lot of nines and I like them okay for shooting, and I have some SD ammo for them, I have Ten's and 45's too, but 40 is my version of meat and potatoes for carry and self defense caliber

#11 ·
CZ stopped making .40's in the P07, P09, CZ75B, CZ75BD, SP01, and CZ75 SA pistols. Also the Rami first dropped the .40 and maybe (not to tuned in to them as I never felt the need for one) the 9MM, too, meaning the Rami is out of production.

CZ also stopped making the CZ75's in stainless steel completely.

Probably freeing up money/resources for the P10 pistols.

They're going to make what they feel they can sell. When the FBI announced (second time in 40 years) that the 9MM was better than the rest and all the police departments began trading in .40's for 9MM pistols the civilian market followed. Lots of people want to carry the "in" handguns/caliber. The .40 is "out" in many/most LE departments and the civvies see/hear that and also stop wanting/carrying .40's.

#12 · (Edited)
I agree with everything you said but how many times have we seen someone being shot up to 10 times or so with 9 mm before they finally seem to go down. I have no facts to back this up - just all the multiple shootings on TV almost every day.

I can’t convince myself that bigger is not better (for me anyway).

I‘m glad I got my .45 P320 along with my old .45 P220 (and ordered the XD-M .45) when I could. My .40’s are for when I feel I might need more bullets and my 9mm’s are for practice. Some of these may be 20+ years old but they still work like new.

This is not advice for anyone – just personal preference. I have no expectation of ever actually needing them.

Everyone needs a new gun every few years or so don’t they? No need to get rid of the old ones.

#13 ·
I agree with everything you said but how many times have we seen someone being shot up to 10 times for so with 9 mm before they finally seem to go down. I have no facts to back this up - just all the multiple shootings on TV almost every day.

I can’t convince myself that bigger is not better (for me anyway).
That's what's called a confirmation bias...you only use information easily accessible to make your decision, you don’t hear the new about people hit with a single, smaller round, or two rounds, and being killed/stopped in a holdup, or even a self defense situation, because they aren’t big splashy news stories.

Take a deep dive into this...not trying to change your mind, but it pretty much shows that when 2 or more rounds are fired, all calibers are pretty much equal when it comes to stops.

#14 · (Edited)
That is why I said “This is not advice for anyone” I am not actually convinced of the benefits of one caliber over another. My thinking has changed back-and-forth over the years and at this point I would not suggest that what I do or think is right for anyone else.

In my opinion, since I am not betting my life on anything, playing “what it“ is half the fun of gun ownership.

All I do at my stage of life is to shoot steel plates for fun.

I think someone once said that “a hit with .22 is better than a miss with a .45.” I know that applies to my steel plates anyway. A miss disappears into the dirt but even a .22 will start the plate swinging.

#17 ·
The .40 S&W is a reloaders dream.. Nearly meet .357 with light pills and meet the 45 auto with heavy pills. Great cartridge!

If the recoil is too severe for someone's dainty little paws, then they shouldn't shoot one. Stay with your light caliber 9mm. I get it. A man has to know his limitations. The rest of us will continue to buy, own and shoot one of the best all around calibers and best bargains in gun world.

I'll say it again, there's nothing 9mm does that 40S&W doesn't do better. I'll gladly sacrifice 1-2 rounds of capacity and put up with the 'severe' recoil so that I'm defending myself with a 165gr .40 cal bullet (1175fps/506ftlbs) vs a 135gr .355 cal bullet (110fps/369ftlbs). That's an apples to apples comparison of similar Hornady ammo.

#18 ·
The .40 S&W is a reloaders dream.. Nearly meet .357 with light pills and meet the 45 auto with heavy pills. Great cartridge!....

..... I'll gladly sacrifice 1-2 rounds of capacity and put up with the 'severe' recoil so that I'm defending myself with a 165gr .40 cal bullet (1175fps/506ftlbs) vs a 135gr .355 cal bullet (110fps/369ftlbs). That's an apples to apples comparison of similar Hornady ammo.
I have never been bothered by the .40 recoil and frankly do not consider it "severe". I practice with and carry 180gr bullets.

To be fair, I'm not bothered with recoil even in my new Alaskan .44 Mag while shooting 240gr rounds.....to each their own.

#21 ·
I still love the 40. My Sigs born in 40 also shoot 357, 9mm and 22. When I can find a conversion for my XDM, I’ll be buying them. I witnessed the Gun Magazine “lynching” of the 40, touting the modern, improved 124gr 9mm’s were as effetive as the lengendary 45ACP 230gr manstopper. I know that a 40gr 22lr is a manstopper if used right.

Ammo Packaging and monikers were created for the new and improved 9’s. Names like Critical Duty and more became the fashion for 9’s. Just like the 40’s were adopted by the FBI, Feds, State and local PD’s.

Yeah, it has a sharper kick and twists than the 9mm (some even say the 45) but still hits the target. The new tech for 9’s carried over to make 40’s and 45’s more powerful too. But magazines need a new hero to sell the newest and most fashionable garb.

Not all people can hold a larger caliber grip. A High Power still feels better to me than any pistol. The CZ75 is a very close 2nd. A 9 fits some better and if its comfortable to hold, you’ll likely shoot better with it.

I carry for defense, target, plinking and competition. I might carry a 32 or 380 or 9, 38, 40SW, 357SW, 357mag, 44, 45ACP or 400Corbon. It depends on what I’m wearing and where I’m going…

Dumping your 40’s? PM me please!

Reactions: Pandaz3
#27 ·
I still love the 40. My Sigs born in 40 also shoot 357, 9mm and 22. When I can find a conversion for my XDM, I’ll be buying them. I witnessed the Gun Magazine “lynching” of the 40, touting the modern, improved 124gr 9mm’s were as effetive as the lengendary 45ACP 230gr manstopper. I know that a 40gr 22lr is a manstopper if used right.

Ammo Packaging and monikers were created for the new and improved 9’s. Names like Critical Duty and more became the fashion for 9’s. Just like the 40’s were adopted by the FBI, Feds, State and local PD’s.

Yeah, it has a sharper kick and twists than the 9mm (some even say the 45) but still hits the target. The new tech for 9’s carried over to make 40’s and 45’s more powerful too. But magazines need a new hero to sell the newest and most fashionable garb.

Not all people can hold a larger caliber grip. A High Power still feels better to me than any pistol. The CZ75 is a very close 2nd. A 9 fits some better and if its comfortable to hold, you’ll likely shoot better with it.

I carry for defense, target, plinking and competition. I might carry a 32 or 380 or 9, 38, 40SW, 357SW, 357mag, 44, 45ACP or 400Corbon. It depends on what I’m wearing and where I’m going…

Dumping your 40’s? PM me please!
I have XD in 40 , 45, XD m2 tac 9 ml. Everyone has a preference but really the only thing that matters is shot placement. Find what comfortable for your needs and practice! “ the 22 in my pocket is better than the 44 in my safe!” Situational awareness and avoidance of conflict is important. Thank you .

#29 ·
.40 may survive, but it will never again enjoy its heyday period. The same can be said of other cartridges, albeit ones never quite as popular (.357 Sig, .45 GAP).

Reactions: M1903A3
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.