Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guy/gals have had slide problems, rust problems or reliability probs with your XD-40? i need some advice.....

I bought my first handgun about 4 months ago. It was a Beretta 96 vertec. It was slightly used but in great condition and the gun shop guaranteed it for 30 days, so I bought it for $440. I ended up returning it within 3 weeks due to constant FTF and FTE problems. Since no other guns seemed appealing to me, i picked up and XD-40 and decided i liked it, so i traded my Beretta for it and i only lost $25. After taking it to the range a few times it grew on me, except for 2 minor problems: 1 FTE and 1 problem with the slide. It automaticaly closed when i put a mag in, and i didnt slam it in either. I didnt think much of it, but i started doing internet research on the XD-40 and found that it has a few issues. It seems that every handgun i look into has its own set of issues and its frustrating me to no end. I have a $650 gun budget, and i'm debating on getting rid of my XD-40. Here is my list and what i've learned so far:

Sig Pro 2022 - reliable and well built, but picky with ammo. also on higher end of price range. Harder to find parts and accessories then most.

Glock 19 or 23 - Durable. very reliable when not exploding in your hand. Glocks are known for crappy triggers, lack of a real safety, and bad ergonomics. Chambers walls are paper thin. Parts and accessories widely available and cheap.

1911 .45 - Legendary reputation, high recoil, low ammo capacity, not incredibly reliable out of the box on affordable models. parts galore. doesnt feel good in my hand

Beretta - bad initial experience, high end of price range, parts are easy to find. said by many to be overrated.

XD-40 - slide problems, rust problems. Great ergonomics, great trigger and safety mechanisms, well built, good price. Parts and accessories hard to find.

Those are all the candidates so far. Should i just keep my XD? I clean and oil it and use only high quality factory ammo. Is it gonna hold up for me?
Or should i try another gun with the risk of losing more money?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Ive had only a handful of FTEs on my old XD40 (nearly always ammo, cant think of one so far that I have had to attribute directly to the gun) and zero on my current 40. Had one failure to strike on the new XD40 that may have been a squib round that for some reason fired on the second strike.

Zero rust problems although I am assiduous about cleaning and oiling because I want to avoid them.

Tried to get some replacement parts from springfield, there is a list of 9 parts they will not sell currently due to liability. Basically, if its the frame, barrel, extractor, related to a safety, or the striker, dont count on purchasing the part directly from SA.

Oh, and there arent any aftermarket suppliers of general internal parts for the XD aside from the guide rod and recoil springs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd say get a 1911, IF it wasn't your first handgun.

I'm not sure why so many people think they have high recoil, they are amazingly easy to shoot. It's more of a smooth rock than anything, and I good shooter can reacquire sight picture very quickly.

That being said, the 1911's operation may be a lot to learn for a new shooter. Therefore, I'd say the XD is really a good bet, for simplicity and ease of operation. Keep shooting it. Lots of problems work their way out after a break-in period (300-500 rounds). FTE's are somewhat common during the break in period. As far as the slide stop, some people inadvertently hit it with their hand. If you're still having problems, send that puppy to Springfield and they'll make it right.

Remember, for every incidence you read that has something wrong, there are probably tens or hundreds that have no problems at all. I wouldn't expect your problems to become any worse than they already are. Keep that XD, man. I think you'll find many others on this board will feel the same.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have had no problems with either of my XD's... no rust, no malfunctions, etc. I think an easy solution is to simply rent a few that may look appealing, then make your choice. Trigger actions are a little different amongst those mentioned - that might be one way to begin narrowing your search.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
We have three XD's in the family that have been trouble free- but guns are like cars, and everybody make a lemon once in awhile. In my experience, the one brand of autos that has consistently proven dead-reliable and exceptionally accurate are the Sigs. This includes better than ten years of running LE range qualifications.

I have no experience with the SigPro, but the 22X series guns are exceptional pieces of engineering, and their quality of manufacture is obvious. I would go back to Sigs in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My XD displayed every problem you listed. Who said Glocks have paper thin barrels? Try a Glock 20, 10mm. Excellent defense and hunting pistol(depending on what you load it with). If you prefer a compact, look at the G-29, 10mm.Try not to listen to every rumor you hear on the internet. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the reason i said that about the Glock chambers is because i've compared them side by side to the XD, Sig, and HK chambers and they seem almost half as thick. How is this safe with a high pressure .40 cartridge? I'm a noob but it doesnt seem safe to me lol. I also heard stuff about unsupported chambers and KB's but i also know that thousands of LEO's use them so they cant be that bad.... :p

·
Registered
889 Posts
Stick with the XD for now, and if after a few hundred rounds you still have problems with it send it back to Springfield, and they will fix it. Then if you still don't like it post it here, and someone here will take it off your hands.

I have 3 XDs now and, except for one small problem, that was fixed by switching out a spring, everything is working fine. Thats with about 4000-5000 rounds through the first two,( a Service mod, and a Tactical) and 100 rounds through a sub compact I shot for the first time today.

Everyone complains about some of the little things, like FTE that will work themselves out, they should just consider it free training. Some people pay a lot of money to learn how to clear jams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one-eyed-fatman said:
lstramer, you didn't say what you use it for. If it's just a fun gun for the range don't worry about it.
It's my only gun, so i would use it for home defense and target shooting. Possibly for concealed carry when i get my permit. I would only carry it every so often when im out walking at night or camping etc.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
I had a couple fail to eject early on with my XD-40 Service. After closer inspection I realized the problem was with the ammo and not the pistol. The ejection process was ripping the rim of the casing OFF! Haven't had this problem since I stopped buying cheap ammo.

I also had a couple fail to feeds until I realized the pistol needed a bit more lube during the first 100 rounds or so. No problems now.

I also had a spot of rust appear on the slide where it touches my skin under my shirt. This appeared after having left it alone for 2 weeks this summer. A little Break-Free, a cloth and 5 minute of elbow grease took care of that.

Those are the only problems in 1000 rounds or so. If that's not enough to put your mind at ease about the XD you purchased, I don't know what will.

Just remember, there is nothing perfect in this world. Even the XD. That's why all the aftermarket stuff you find here http://www.pistol-gear.com/products.php?cat=15 is actually selling.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm fairly new to guns myself so I can't give a whole lot of input. I got my XD40 back in May and a buddy of mine bought a Glock 23 shortly thereafter, those are the only two guns on your list that I've fired. Between the two, I really prefer my XD, mostly just because it feels so much more natural in my hand.

The problems that you listed are, like you said, minor. The rust problem seems to have been blown out of porportion. There are some people with legitimate rust problems, but with proper gun care, you should be fine. If you continue to have problems then there is always the lifetime gaurantee, an inconvenience, but they will fix your problem and you get to keep the gun that has grown on you.

All the problems with my XD40 have been due to user error and I've had no rust issues at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. jonas

·
Registered
67 Posts
My experience--not necessarily advice--I own 4 XD .40's, and the only FTF's I've ever experienced was when playing with 9mm mags in my .40's (trying to get 20 round capability in an XD .40, using 32 round 9mm mags). Using the correct mag's--- have never had a problem. I shoot once fired conical nose lead reloads (180 gr. Ultramax--purchased from Sportsman Guide) and I go through a lot of it. I've never had a rust problem, but do wipe down and clean regularly (not anal about it though). I've upgraded sights, Don's rod & spring and had Rich do trigger jobs on 2 of the 4 XD's---all worthwhile mod's. Two of my XD's were purchased new, two were purchased used, but like new. My other big bore pistol is a Springfield 1911-A1, stainless, loaded, and it is flawless in operation also. I don't think you can go wrong for the XD, for it's price and reliability.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Glock uses cold hammer forged barrels(much harder, higher quality). They also use polyagonal rifling(hexagonal for .45 cal.), which causes less bullet deformity, and increased muzzle velocity.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The XD barrel is also cold-hammer forged. :D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
masterofg3 said:
Glock uses cold hammer forged barrels(much harder, higher quality). They also use polyagonal rifling(hexagonal for .45 cal.), which causes less bullet deformity, and increased muzzle velocity.
you are like an infomercial in the middle of a good show....

·
Registered
339 Posts
therooster said:
masterofg3 said:
you are like an infomercial in the middle of a good show....
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing...on ALL of his posts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
does this place have no moderaters? every thread this guy has to bring up a glock WTF ? I mean it was kinda funny for while but come on this is rediculas.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts