Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had some trigger work on My XD 40 and I am very pleased with the trigger however with a loaded magazine in the gun or without a loaded magazine in the gun and without depressing the grip safety I can move the slide back out of battery about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and it will not snap back. It stays out of battery. Its worse if the magazine is loaded. It doesnt do it without a mag in the gun. The gun is fitted with Dons guide rod with a 22lb spring. The spring has only a few hundred rounds through it (500 or 600). Anyhow, I ordered a new spring to see if that solves the problem, any ideas anyone? Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nickle1 said:
Did you put the washer back in with the spring?
Well actually thats exactly what it looks like like the washer is not there but unfortuantely the washer is there. I wish it was that easy.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mine does that. Always has. Hasn't caused me any failures yet...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[TASF said:
Overkill]Mine does that. Always has. Hasn't caused me any failures yet...
Really...well I never noticed it before my trigger job but then again I may be looking at my gun more closely now..have you had any trigger work performed on your gun?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine does the same thing also. I thought there was something wrong with it but I haven't had problems with it yet so, if its not broke, why fix it?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
if its not broke, why fix it?
Well duh, because it's NOT BROKE! We like to find problems where there aren't any, so we can improve on the original design.

"Hmmm... if I cut off this little piece here... and maybe move this back to <snap> Ooooh... ****.... Where's that warranty sheet..."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[TASF said:
Overkill]
if its not broke, why fix it?
Well duh, because it's NOT BROKE! We like to find problems where there aren't any, so we can improve on the original design.

"Hmmm... if I cut off this little piece here... and maybe move this back to <snap> Ooooh... ****.... Where's that warranty sheet..."
What started all this is I had my gun in the car with me and when I went to get it and take it inside I noticed the end of the guide rod sticking out like my washer wasnt in. Coincidentally I just had trigger work performed, so I was thinking it was being caused by the trigger work. It had never done that before. But if it's normal then so be it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
First time I noticed it was when I looked down at it in my custom made holster in my car door and noticed that the firing pin indicator wasn't showing. I tried to push it down, but it wasn't workin'. Pulled over on the side of the road, pulled 'er out, and waddya know, she was outta battery.

(Shrug) No idea if anything can be done about it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My friend sent his XD -40 Tactical back to SA to have the feed ramp and such done because of jams. When he got it back it did the same thing you stated. We compared it to my XD-40 Tactical which had been sent back previosly for the same repairs, and mine didn't do this. After spending an afternoon of head scratching we decided to send his back to SA. He sent it back and when he received it, it didn't pull out of battery anymore. One thing we noticed before we sent it back, when you pulled the trigger, the slide jumped forward and locked into battery. It was never fired in this condition. My thoughts were it might have something to do with the arm that comes up and deactivates the firing pin safety. It might be catching on it or out of alignment. You are not the only person to have this problem FWIW :?:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
f4tweet said:
My thoughts were it might have something to do with the arm that comes up and deactivates the firing pin safety. It might be catching on it or out of alignment. You are not the only person to have this problem FWIW :?:
Hmmm..interesting...It is really noticeable when I have a full mag in it. So the ammo is pressing on something? I don't know. I thought maybe when my gun was re-assembled perhaps someone elses recoil spring was put in by mistake. I am going to put a new recoil spring in it and see if it helps. Anyhow, after I try all my options I am sending my gun back for one more look.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My friend's XD-40 Tactical exhibited this problem with and without the magazine, and with ammo in the mag. This is just a hunch on the fix. They said the pistol was fine but still shipped it back on their dime and said nothing was wrong with it. We got it back and it was not having a problem anymore. The manufacturer's will admit nothing verbally or in writing for liability reasons. I have sent firearms back to Smith and Marlin and they said they did nothing, but I had new barrels in the firearm when I got them back. FWIW :!:

·
Registered
242 Posts
It might be the spring. I've been trouble shooting a similar problem in my XD40 where it failed to feed properly. Some of the failures were pretty bad, but a number were failures to go completely into battery. Under close inspection I notice that the slide doesn't go firmly into battery when empty and I slightly move the slide rearward.

This is with a Wolff guide rod and 19# spring. Since I have the 3 spring calibration pack, I started comparing springs.

The 17# is labeled factory standard, and is the longest. The 19# is significantly shorter than the 17#, and is labeled extra power and is what is in the gun when it failed to feed properly recently. The 21# is slightly shorter than the 19#.

The 17# seems to close the slide fully, but the maximum spring force when the slide is all the way back is noticably less than the other two.

The 19# doesn't seem to solidly lock the slide into battery. It is as if the spring is a bit too short to have any real force when the slide is closed because the spring isn't compressed much at all.

The 21# solidly locks up the slide, and the force is noticably the heaviest when the slide is fully open. The spring apparently has enough force to put the slide in battery even though it isn't compressed much.

The factory recoil spring assembly has the firmest lockup into battery. It appears that Springfield knew what they were doing with their spring design, they just built an assembly that fails on occasion.

Also, there are several surfaces of the barrel and breach face that slide past each other. I will be polishing mine to see if it helps reduce the friction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fly-Sig said:
It might be the spring. ............The factory recoil spring assembly has the firmest lockup into battery. It appears that Springfield knew what they were doing with their spring design, they just built an assembly that fails on occasion.

Also, there are several surfaces of the barrel and breach face that slide past each other. I will be polishing mine to see if it helps reduce the friction.
Yes, I have ordered another guide rod and spring as well. I also am going to polish the barrel/slide contact points. I find it interesting that some XD's do this and others dont. Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a mole hill. I am 99 percent sure mine didn't do this before the trigger job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts