Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys:
I still in the old predicament of choosing between the .40 and the 9mm XDm but that is not the question. I am planning on using it for home defense and start competing locally, nothing major just to have a taste of it. But I am more inclined to compete in a 9mm class (if this is so), so here comes my questions and sorry if it has been answered but I didn’t find it:
1. Is it possible to have a .40 to 9mm conversion accurate enough to compete, at least in local competitions?
2. If so what would be the minimum or maximum mods required, a part of the barrel of course?
3. Is someone competing successfully with a .40 to 9mm conversion?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Accuracy is not a problem with conversions to 9mm. Feeding and extracting (most especially in rapid fire) may or may not be a problem. If you do not care where you place in time lost it would be possible.
However, the rules of most organizations may not allow use of a converted pistol. Local relaxations of official rules do exist. Have to contact whatever club you plan on joining. Then you may be OK there, but could not compete at an away event hosted by another club.
Additional parts to improve functional reliability would be a lighter recoil spring and 9mm specific magazines.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a XDm in 40S&W that has enhancements for USPSA Limited competition shooting. I also have the Fire Dragon .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for it and I have had no issues with it. The conversion barrel was acquired back when ammo was hard to acquire. So I could shoot either .40 or 9mm depending on what I could find and purchase.

Before adding the extras for USPSA Limited class, it was used with the 9mm barrel in Production class. This is because this class only allows for a few enhancements. Limited class allows you to perform more enhancements to the firearm (I.E.: like adding a large mouth mag well).

I have not used my converstion barrel in some time since I have a 9mm and a.40SW XDm in my collection now. My 9mm is completely stock and no enhancements have been done on it.

I am hoping and waiting for SA to release the new 5.25 XDm in .40S&W to upgrade it (I think would it just need a trigger job and thinner front post) to be my new Limited class firearm.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts