Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't only XD specific, but I imagine it may come in handy for some stainless XDs at some point.

Is it possible to refinish a stainless steel slide with something like Gunkote, Durakote, etc?

This could be for covering holster wear or even for changing colors as seems popular lately. It seems most discussions about refinishing is limited to talk about blued guns.
-hype

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tripp Research can do it for you.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sure. I assume they would strip off the original finish of a blued gun to get to the stainless underneath anyhow so you are just saving them some time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turbo2ltr said:
I thought the 'stainless' slides weren't really solid stainless steel, they were just coated.
There are different grades of stainless steel that each have their own respective properties. Some stainless looking slides are not stainless steel though. For example, my P22 looks stainless, but is actually nickle plated.

Stainless steels are high-alloy steels that have superior corrosion resistance than other steels because they contain large amounts of chromium. Stainless steels can contain anywhere from 4-30 percent chromium, however most contain around 10 percent. Stainless steels can be divided into three basic groups based on their crystalline structure: austenitic, ferritic, and martensitic. Another group of stainless steels known as precipitation-hardened steels are a combination of austenitic and martensitic steels.
from Engineering Fundamentals
-hype

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
xHypex said:
turbo2ltr said:
I thought the 'stainless' slides weren't really solid stainless steel, they were just coated.
Stainless steels are high-alloy steels that have superior corrosion resistance than other steels because they contain large amounts of chromium. Stainless steels can contain anywhere from 4-30 percent chromium, however most contain around 10 percent. Stainless steels can be divided into three basic groups based on their crystalline structure: austenitic, ferritic, and martensitic. Another group of stainless steels known as precipitation-hardened steels are a combination of austenitic and martensitic steels. Below are the general compositional contents of these groups.
from Engineering Fundamentals
-hype
Huh? I know what stainless is, thanks. But after a short search, I see that the general consensus is that the stainless slide is solid stainless, though there have been many questions brought up regarding whether it is or not. That is where I got the notion that it wasn't.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
A coating is a coating/finish. If it is stainless then it is stainless all the way through. There is no such thing as a stainless coating, there is chrome plating. When talking gun slides, it is either going to be stainless or carbon steel. Frames can be of various materials, but a slide needs the extra weight.

ranburr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts