Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it legal to carry a gun not registered to you? I bought several used not from a dealer so they are not in my name, is that a problem if a police officer ever checks the serial number? Or is it only a problem if its listed as stolen?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It should only be a problem if it is listed as stolen. I believe that the only time a gun is in your name is in the dealers records when you buy the gun. I also believe that they are only supposed to keep the records for a short amount of time, 3 months or something lke that.

·
Registered
921 Posts
That depends greatly on your state of residence.
And those forms you fill out are not kept for 3 months. They are kept for 20 years, or until the FFL closes, at which point they are turned over to the ATF.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Guns aren't "registered" to you. It's my understanding it's only a record of sale and does not leave the FFL unless a criminal investigation warrants the release of the information. Law enforcement would have no information on any serial number unless someone reported it stolen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guns aren't "registered" to you. It's my understanding it's only a record of sale and does not leave the FFL unless a criminal investigation warrants the release of the information. Law enforcement would have no information on any serial number unless someone reported it stolen.
they can look them up on the MDTs in their squads

·
Registered
246 Posts
Swany26 said:
they can look them up on the MDTs in their squads
I'm not sure what an MDT is but a registry isn't legal in the Great State of Texas. They could run a serial number, but wouldn't knew who owned it unless the owner had reported it stolen...or the information was required from a FFL for an investigation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure what an MDT is but a registry isn't legal in the Great State of Texas. They could run a serial number, but wouldn't knew who owned it unless the owner had reported it stolen...or the information was required from a FFL for an investigation.
An MDT is a Mobile Data Terminal (the computer in the squad). I am jealous of Texas for many reasons, would probably move there if it wasn't for the fact that Minnesota is home.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
There is no registration in Wyoming. Like above, unless a gun is stolen or reported lost it will not show up when the serial number is run.

That is provided someone is not stupid enough to go into a LEO office and have them record the serial number.

Also here in Wyoming you can carry any gun you want as the CCW is not gun specific like in some locations.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no registration in Wyoming. Like above, unless a gun is stolen or reported lost it will not show up when the serial number is run.

That is provided someone is not stupid enough to go into a LEO office and have them record the serial number.

Also here in Wyoming you can carry any gun you want as the CCW is not gun specific like in some locations.

Is there a website where i can enter my serial numbers of guns i bought used to check if they are reported as stolen?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ok, here is what our Special Agent said. No there is not an internet source that he knows about for ckecking a guns serial number. You could get ahold of ATF, not recommended even by him, and have them run a trace on the gun. He agreed with me on having a "trusted" LOE friend check it for "lost or stolen".

He said that in his opinion that the reason for no internet source is so that the BG's can"t run their own guns to keep tabs on them to see if Law enforcement is looking for that weapon.

This is all for what it is worth.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not sure about Utah were you live but every state is different. In CA every gun you own not just carry has to be registered and in Colorado it does not. Look up your state laws should be an easy find. Utah is a good 2a state so I'm sure your fine but you should check for yourself.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
100% correct in states that dont require gun registration, i have no idea how that works

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Dunno about your state, but in SC, guns are not "registered". The FFL you bought it from (if you did) keeps the 4473 form. The info goes no farther unless there's a criminal investigation. Private sales in SC are not controlled except you must, to the best of your ability, determine that the buyer also lives in SC. No paperwork is required. "Here's the gun." "Here's the money."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not only is the Gun Registered to me, It is listed ON my permit... Serial number and all

In New York, You cannot carry a gun that is not on your permit.

a gun can be on multiple permits... Like husband and wife...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts