Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has owned an XDm for a couple years now, and I bought one end of last year on impulse after my regular carry 1911 went to hell during an instructor course (making me look like a donkey in front of other instructors).

Anyways, I love everything about the guns, especially grip angle and grip safety and capacity. The trigger is just turning out to be a deal breaker.

And, yes, I've used the search function and looked at the stickies. I've got a very specific trigger question to ask:

For those who have done the PRP or Springer trigger kits AND are familiar with 1911s--How does the modified trigger compare?

I'm just debating whether to sink the money in or just save it toward a 2011 or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife has owned an XDm for a couple years now, and I bought one end of last year on impulse after my regular carry 1911 went to hell during an instructor course (making me look like a donkey in front of other instructors).

Anyways, I love everything about the guns, especially grip angle and grip safety and capacity. The trigger is just turning out to be a deal breaker.

And, yes, I've used the search function and looked at the stickies. I've got a very specific trigger question to ask:

For those who have done the PRP or Springer trigger kits AND are familiar with 1911s--How does the modified trigger compare?

I'm just debating whether to sink the money in or just save it toward a 2011 or something.

I am a true 1911 fan. I have owned several and I must say my XDM with the PRP trigger is as close as it gets. Very little creep no overtravel. It is crisp and clean. Hope that helps, I love my XDM as well

·
22,002 Posts
You could just get a 1911:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am a true 1911 fan. I have owned several and I must say my XDM with the PRP trigger is as close as it gets. Very little creep no overtravel. It is crisp and clean. Hope that helps, I love my XDM as well
Do you know what the pull weight is?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have the Springer Precision kit installed by Springer. I must say it is the Closest thing to a 1911 trigger there is.
You will be amazed at the difference the Springer kit makes.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I own both a 1911 and a XDM. I just recently installed PRP Ultimate Match kit on each of my Springfields. On the XDM it gets close to my 1911 but we all know nothing can compare to the 1911. But for the money I shelled out on both kits I'm very impressed. My double taps are on point, since I use the XDM for IDPA the trigger breaks clean. I highly recommend this trigger.

My buddy on the other hand went with a Springer Precision kit. We both traded off to see how each others felt. Both had minimal travel and both broke clean. But I felt mines had a better crisp feel than his. Just my opinion. Both kits are great. You can't go wrong with either one. My first route was to send it to Springer but after awhile I went with PRP.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I must be lucky. My stock, never touched XD trigger is like glass. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money..:) My Xd Tactical has a nice trigger after throwing nearly $200 in parts at it. It's way better than stock, but it's not a 1911 feel, and never will be, due to the design differences. The creep is reduced but not eliminated, the reset is shorter and the pull is 3lbs. The real question hidden in the OP's question is can it be shot accurately? A resounding yes..but it will not feel the same. The good part is, the grip angle is very similar to a 1911 so that will be familiar. Is it worth the money? Yes it is.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No because the two triggers work entirely different but you can get a pretty nice trigger if you send it off to get custom fit parts. The drop in parts will make it nice but nothing beat a custom fit job.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I cannot see how an XD trigger can ever come close to a 1911. The two systems are so different, and sear engagement area on the XD is considerably greater than on a 1911. Can the XD be improved? Yes, but I don't believe you can make it as crisp, but I am opened to being convinced. Can you get used to it? Yes again. I have shot 1911s for 40 years and thought I could never stomach a trigger like on the XD, but I have grown to actually like it. It is not nearly as easy to become proficient with as the 1911, but it can be mastered. Fourteen rounds of .45 helps one get over "stomach problems."

CX

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fourteen rounds of .45 helps one get over "stomach problems."
CX
That's pretty much where I'm at, except I stepped down to .40 S&W for various reasons (so it's 17 rounds).

I'd just move back to the 1911 platform, but to get this kind of capacity I'd have to spend $1500-2000.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's pretty much where I'm at, except I stepped down to .40 S&W for various reasons (so it's 17 rounds).

I'd just move back to the 1911 platform, but to get this kind of capacity I'd have to spend $1500-2000.
I hear you! I am not interested in a steel high cap 1911 because of the weight. I don't trust the Paras these days. Their QC seems to be lower since they moved to the US. That leaves STI, which I like, but unless I order custom I can't seem to get what I want – and they are expensive! The XDm45 will do for now. It has grown on me.

CX

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cannot see how an XD trigger can ever come close to a 1911. The two systems are so different, and sear engagement area on the XD is considerably greater than on a 1911. Can the XD be improved? Yes, but I don't believe you can make it as crisp, but I am opened to being convinced. Can you get used to it? Yes again. I have shot 1911s for 40 years and thought I could never stomach a trigger like on the XD, but I have grown to actually like it. It is not nearly as easy to become proficient with as the 1911, but it can be mastered. Fourteen rounds of .45 helps one get over "stomach problems."

CX
You can get in the 1911 ballpark, but not on the pitchers mound. :)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Interestingly, my old XD45 had a nicer stock trigger than my Springer enhanced XDm45 does. Peeking in through the rear there was clearly less sear engagement in the XD than the XDm. That made a huge amount of difference in the trigger. It felt much crisper and closer (ball park not pitchers mound) to the 1911.

CX

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
No polymer guns trigger will compare to a 1911. The only thing you could legitimately compare would be an M&P with the new Apex forward set trigger, but its still not the same. Good luck getting one anytime soon though...

·
Registered
59 Posts
1911 triggers are just plain hard to beat. I had recently picked up a XDm 9mm and though I like the pistol, the trigger has taken me a bit to get used to. I have been shooting nothing but 1911's for years.

I am going to send mine off to PRP for a trigger job, if all the travel goes away I will be a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
It's not about polymer it's about the trigger mechanism. Striker fired guns can not act like SA hammer fired guns.

2011 polymer gun will have a trigger better than a 1911.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts