Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And by pocket carrying, I'm not talking about sticking it in your pocket without a holster. :D If you are, what kind of holster are you using, and are there any qualms about pocket carrying a gun with no grip or thumb safety?

The only gun I'm pocket carrying right now is my Ruger LCP, and I'm trying to find a good option to move away from 380 to 9mm with something I can pocket carry from time to time. The Hellcat isn't all that much bigger than the LCP, at least to me, but the lack of safety makes me think that I would need a rigid pocket holster, something like Kydex, which might not go well with concealing it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
22,431 Posts
I would think the Hellcat is a bit too big for pocket carry. Maybe in a cargo pocket.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I currently pocket carry an M&P Bodyguard 380 this time of year, and I am also looking to move up in the near future. Feeling undergunned given the current situation-- I had switched to carrying my full-size XDm OSP OWB under a windbreaker when the pandemic got started, but obviously haven't been able to do that the last couple months. I want something more capable than the BG380 that's well-concealed and comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt.

I am planning to get a P365-- I compared the Hellcat and P365 in store some time ago and decided that the P365 was the better fit for me ergonomically.

I think most normal-sized men wearing average- or loose- fitting pants/shorts should be able to comfortably pocket carry either the P365 or Hellcat in a regular front pants pocket. I can pocket carry my XDs 3.3, but it's on the big side and somewhat difficult to draw. Compared to the XDs 3.3, the P365 is 0.5" shorter lengthwise, 0.4" shorter heightwise, 0.02" thicker (negligible), and 3.7oz lighter. I am confident that I'll be able to pocket carry the P365 no problem. I'll need to pick a pocket holster that has a single flat surface that covers the grip on the outside to avoid printing. Only issue will be adapting where I carry other items-- currently my BG380 shares its pocket with other items; I think the P365 is going to have to be on its own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'm very aware that my pocket may be tighter with a Hellcat than it is with my LCP....I can carry the LCP in a Spyderco pocket holster, and still carry the spare mag in the same pocket. I'm likely going to have to carry whatever gun I end up with to replace it, in the pocket by itself and pack 2 spare mags on my left hip, or something like that. The Sig 365 is a good idea, I need to check into that gun as well.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I have a Glock 42 that is a bit smaller than a hellcat, and THAT is too big to really comfortably carry in a pocket. (Other than a cargo pocket on leg that isn't too comfortable). A Kahr CW380 fits in most pockets easily, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger.

IMO, get a good IWB holster that fits you well. I've gone from carrying a Kahr single stack CW40 to my XDM9c due to the current environment, and with a decent holster it is easy enough to conceal in shorts and a T-shirt.

Reactions: Texan-XD

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own the XDS 45 (original version), a Kahr CM9 and now the Hellcat and I can pocket carry all of them comfortably when wearing hiking shorts or elastic type shorts with deep pockets. I use pocket holsters. If I were wearing tight jeans then forget it unless maybe my Kahr CM9 with back pocket wallet holster perhaps. I am only 5’5” so I am pretty sure any other person could do the same. I have also tried the thunderwear type holster but only with elastic shorts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With that said, I wouldn’t mind getting one of the carjacker holsters with the snap belt loop thing. Seems like great quality and easy on/off for use when driving. Then I can keep my Kahr, XDS or Hellcat in my pocket when driving with my revolver or maybe a 1911 on my left side with this other holster for quick access. 🤠

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just got my Hellcat the other day and tried a pocket carry in a Remora holster. I wore a 5.11 Apex pant. it fit fine. I'll play with it some more, before I load my magazines, to see if it's viable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haven't really tried to pocket my OSP hellcat, but did get the Desantis pocket holster for OSP from Springfield. So far I've only pocket carried it in my winter vest pocket and it's perfect. May try it in summer in shorts but with the Swampfox Sentinel it may not work. Have an AIWB and a shell coming for my Alien gear Cloak IWB. My LCP and Kahr CM9 work perfect for pocket, so not to concerned about the hellcat yet.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I pocket carry a lot, I have 380's, but I refer 40's so generally that means my XDS 40 or Taurus G2C (PT-140, a true 40 S&W) and that fits. Not going to beat Quick Draw McGraw, but I can get it in play. No matter how small the gun I have a holster for it and that is all that goes in that pocket. Keys or a pen are very dangerous. if I had a Hellcat for me I could pocket carry in a Alabama (Kydex) or DeSantis Nemisis (Nylon)
My wife has a Hellcat though, but she won't pocket carry, she uses a OWB DeSantis Criss Cross (Leather crossdraw) it barely protrudes above and below her belt, conceals fine for her and she is very fast to draw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pocket carry a Ruger LC9s in a soft Uncle Mike‘s holster. It fits fine so long as I don’t wear skinny jeans. I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for me to be wearing skinny jeans anyhow 😁. I’m thinking of switching to the Hellcat, it’s shorter from bottom of grip to the top of the gun. I’m just not sure how comfortable I am without a thumb safety but i may be able to get there. All to say, if an LC9s can be pocket carried a Hellcat can most definitely be pocket carried.

UPDATE 2/4 - I got a Hellcat and now carry that instead of the LC9s. I'm using the same Uncle Mike's holster (#3 size) and it fits fine, trigger and guard are fully covered. I've been using soft holsters for years and really like them. Jeans are usually Levi's 559 and that works for me, you just have to get used to the weight and size in your front pants pocket but it's ultimately no big deal.

·
Administrator
22,431 Posts
I don’t know how you guys are doing it. To me the Hellcat seems to be to big to PC. Unless I up the size of my pants to make them more baggy. I think it would print standing and sitting. I pocket carry a NAA 22 Mag and it looks like a wallet standing but you can see the curve of the handle when sitting down. I now wear darker jeans to help hide the printing.

Reactions: Obscura

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I don’t know how you guys are doing it. To me the Hellcat seems to be to big to PC. Unless I up the size of my pants to make them more baggy. I think it would print standing and sitting. I pocket carry a NAA 22 Mag and it looks like a wallet standing but you can see the curve of the handle when sitting down. I now wear darker jeans to help hide the printing.
The two guns I referred to as pocket carrying above, Springfield XDS and Taurus G2C, are both bigger than a Hellcat. Easy Peasey to pocket carry a Hellcat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Hellcat is a little too big for pocket carry, IMHO. I got one of the Minimalist holsters at Academy for my Hellcat and carry appendix or 4 o'clock. Very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any update, Texan-XD?

I pocket carry a P365, no external safety, in a Blackhawk soft holster quite confidently and comfortably, and I'm a large guy with big legs, but it's the max size I can PC. I've tried other holsters including Kydex, but the soft works best for me. Printing is not an issue; I leave my shirt untucked usually, and besides in TX, it's not a concern because of LTC.

The Hellcat and the P365 are virtually the same size.
The Sig 365 is a good idea, I need to check into that gun as well.

The Hellcat has several safeties, internal and trigger. I'm guessing you're referring to an external manual safety. For me, the best safety is the one between my ears. [Edit: just saw on SA website that a model with a manual external safety is offered.]
but the lack of safety makes me think that I would need a rigid pocket holster, something like Kydex, which might not go well with concealing it

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you don’t wear skinny jeans, and you’re in moderately ok shape, you can easily pocket carry the hellcat in a pocket holster.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
As a update, my wife, using cargo pants, started pocket carrying, using her Criss Cross holster as a pocket holster. I then ordered a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, just got it in the mail, it will carry the gun in a more upright position.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts