Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And by pocket carrying, I'm not talking about sticking it in your pocket without a holster. :D If you are, what kind of holster are you using, and are there any qualms about pocket carrying a gun with no grip or thumb safety?

The only gun I'm pocket carrying right now is my Ruger LCP, and I'm trying to find a good option to move away from 380 to 9mm with something I can pocket carry from time to time. The Hellcat isn't all that much bigger than the LCP, at least to me, but the lack of safety makes me think that I would need a rigid pocket holster, something like Kydex, which might not go well with concealing it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
21,705 Posts
I would think the Hellcat is a bit too big for pocket carry. Maybe in a cargo pocket.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I currently pocket carry an M&P Bodyguard 380 this time of year, and I am also looking to move up in the near future. Feeling undergunned given the current situation-- I had switched to carrying my full-size XDm OSP OWB under a windbreaker when the pandemic got started, but obviously haven't been able to do that the last couple months. I want something more capable than the BG380 that's well-concealed and comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt.

I am planning to get a P365-- I compared the Hellcat and P365 in store some time ago and decided that the P365 was the better fit for me ergonomically.

I think most normal-sized men wearing average- or loose- fitting pants/shorts should be able to comfortably pocket carry either the P365 or Hellcat in a regular front pants pocket. I can pocket carry my XDs 3.3, but it's on the big side and somewhat difficult to draw. Compared to the XDs 3.3, the P365 is 0.5" shorter lengthwise, 0.4" shorter heightwise, 0.02" thicker (negligible), and 3.7oz lighter. I am confident that I'll be able to pocket carry the P365 no problem. I'll need to pick a pocket holster that has a single flat surface that covers the grip on the outside to avoid printing. Only issue will be adapting where I carry other items-- currently my BG380 shares its pocket with other items; I think the P365 is going to have to be on its own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I'm very aware that my pocket may be tighter with a Hellcat than it is with my LCP....I can carry the LCP in a Spyderco pocket holster, and still carry the spare mag in the same pocket. I'm likely going to have to carry whatever gun I end up with to replace it, in the pocket by itself and pack 2 spare mags on my left hip, or something like that. The Sig 365 is a good idea, I need to check into that gun as well.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have a Glock 42 that is a bit smaller than a hellcat, and THAT is too big to really comfortably carry in a pocket. (Other than a cargo pocket on leg that isn't too comfortable). A Kahr CW380 fits in most pockets easily, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger.

IMO, get a good IWB holster that fits you well. I've gone from carrying a Kahr single stack CW40 to my XDM9c due to the current environment, and with a decent holster it is easy enough to conceal in shorts and a T-shirt.

Reactions: Texan-XD
1 - 5 of 5 Posts