Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first gun, I'm going out today to purchase a new XD pistol and I'm debating on the 9mm or 40 S&W. I'm leaning more on the 9mm but I wanna shoot it at the ranges often & I also want it for self-protection. Also does the 40 S&W has a lot more of a jerk when shot than a 9mm?Time is running out for me, NEED HELP! :(

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
You will not get a clear definitive answer to your question, because there isn't one.

For a first timer, you can't go wrong. For protection? well it's been around for nearly 100 years. I shoot 9mm all the time and love it. The best "bang" for the buck 8)

Good luck, have fun, be safe. (Merry Christmas :D )

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
With today's technology you should not feel under gunned with the 9mm. Buy the round you will most likely practice with. If you wont practice with the 40 because of costs them by all means get the 9mm you will or can afford to practice with. Remember you can always trade or upgrade latter when you get more proficient with firearms.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I will put it this way.. if I could choose which bullet I would have you shoot me with.. I would choose "none of the above." If you shoot me with a 9mm I would probably die.. and I would not like that.

Not to mention that my lovely daughter expects me to send her to college.. so she would probably not be very happy with you... and you would have to be one mean SOB to not want my lovely daughter to go to college...

Those are my thoughts on this issue.

Raymond

·
Registered
802 Posts
brandon14295 said:
i carry my xd9 with me all the time. shot placement and common sense. those are the determining factors.
brandon gets a beer from me. couldn't have summed it better than that.

Shot placement, thoracic cavity or in the soft,spongy part of the face. Train like you fight, fight like you train, shoot what you can, but shoot as much as you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. short and sweet answers for me. it's not like i wanna come to the point of using my pistol to shoot someone in defense, that's the last thing i wanna do is hurt someone. but between life or death (and trust me i have a daughter too!) i just wanna be secure! Well I think since it's my first pistol & I want lots of ammo. XD9 would be the choice. Off to the gun store today for an exciting purchase people.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 9mm and I shoot it a fair amount. Enough to be proficient and confident. 9mm ammo is cheap and plentiful, especially for a new gun owner (pretty much as I was when I bought my XD).

For self defense, keep a mag with hollowpoints where you need them. As stated earlier, shot placement would be key in the "never want it to happen" situation.

PG

·
Registered
52 Posts
man, for the XD being your first pistol, you are a lucky man. For a few of us, it ahs taken many a gun to get us to the point of discovering the XD. Wish I had just "found it" first off. would have saved me a lot of money...congrats.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I'll sacrifice the extra diameter for a few more bullets or chances of hitting someone.

No one wants to get shot, by anything and when they do, sometimes they lose all motivation to continue on. The guys that dont lose motivation, well thank goodness you have an extra 3 shots.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
It's good not to hear responses like:

"Get a 44 Mag, cause the guy will go down in one shot"

"10mm is the future!"

".40 S&W will bring down a giant"

"9mm is like throwing marshmellows"

and I am glad some will be getting a new pistol for Christmas, cause I only got ammo :( I guess I have been bad this year :oops:

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
My venerable HS2K has been my primary for 5 years. I do not feel under-gunned.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
You know Ray, you don't have to be in the picture to send your lovely daughter to college. Just set up a trust fund now and by the time she get ready for college, it should be a nice sum. :wink:

Just joking my man. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
The XD9 service is the first gun I have ever owned and shot. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. I wanted a good firearm to practice w/and to defend my family if I have to. The 9mm is definitely your best bet for cost effectiveness and target practice. On the defensive end, like others have said a good hollow point will serve you well if SHTF. My advice, take some good training classes and lots of practice!

I've owned mine for a year now and I have no regrets purchasing the XD9.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
hobocircus said:
It's good not to hear responses like:

"Get a 44 Mag, cause the guy will go down in one shot"

"10mm is the future!"

".40 S&W will bring down a giant"

"9mm is like throwing marshmellows"

and I am glad some will be getting a new pistol for Christmas, cause I only got ammo :( I guess I have been bad this year :oops:
I didn't know that they made 9mm in COAL HOLLOW POINTS!!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I carry the XD-9 sometimes, and I don't feel undergunned at all. I definitely feel more secure with it on than my S&W J-Frame.

Until they make a XD .357 SIG subcompact, the XD will be my primary carry gun for winter. With 16 rounds or so on tap, I don't even carry a spare. Get some good hollowpoints and you should be just fine.

Also, if you're talking home defense (not CCW) and you are looking for your first gun, you may want to look into a short barreled (18") shotgun instead. In my humble opinion, nothing beats a riot gun for clearing hallways in a hurry!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Couple years ago I picked up a XD9 4" for protection and haven't regreted that decision.

9mm is a good cartridge especially if you're not into shooting as a hobby like me. Target loads are inexpensive (Winnchester White Box) and in +p or +p+ defense loads is quite powerful (up to .45 preformance).

The XD is a rather interesting gun. It's got features combined from several guns (Glock trigger, 1911 grip safety, ambidexterous mag release, Sig-style takedown) and some you don't find on many service handguns (chamber loaded and striker cocked indicators). Most of these features add a layer of security I thought was beneficial as a gun owner. The grip is more comfortable then the G19 I was considering and it's just as accurate as the P228 I'd shot. Recoil is handled nicely, with less muzzle flip then either of the other contenders. Plus, the price point was below either of those two, creeping into Ruger territory.

You can't go wrong with the XD in 9mm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have ALWAYS said, "be VERY careful of the one who owns only 1 gun and shoots it all the time".... No BG was ever stoped from a miss. I had much rather have a 9mm I shoot all the time and could shot like an extension of my hand that a cannon I never shot because of cost or recoil....

1 9mm round in the chest is better than 100 misses with a hand cannon.

Take your XD9 enjoy it, shot it, leand to hit with it, and if you do your part, it will not fail you..

my bedside handgun is an xd9 and my carry is a xdsc in 9mm..

Good shooting

1 - 20 of 26 Posts