Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen that some of you have added an upgraded guide rod. How does that help? Is it less recoil, faster feed, what? Also, if I am going to upgrade, should I wait until the factory one that I have now is worn out?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would say it is definitely worth it, I like the peice of mind it provides knowing that it is a solid peace and will hold up better than any two spring capitive design, plus you can easily change springs! I use ISMI springs in mine vs the Wolff springs, I think they are supposed to be a little bit better of a spring...not totally sure though. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What springs would be best suited for relatively fast reloading while controlling recoil? ps. it's a Service (4in) Thanks

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Well then I can tell you this. It's really up to you. Don's guide rod can be disassembled for cleaning and you can change to different spring weights to your liking. If your OK with the factory guide rod, use it. If you would like to check out Don's guild rod then go for it. I will say this, in the time I have been here I don't think I have heard a single complain from anyone who has purchased a Don's guide rod. It's your choice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks for the advice. Is there a link on this site so I can buy one or do you know where any good site?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw in another post that don has a tungsten rod (heavier, better recoil control), but I can't find it on the net. I've found the stainless rod and a spring for twenty five buchs at http://pistol-gear.com/products.php?cat=15 , but I think I'de prefer the heavier rod. Anyone know where I can buy a tungsten guide rod?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I don't want to step on any toes, but I bought mine form AJAMESP51 who sells them from www.xd.hs2000.com My experiences with him have been beyond great. He actually drove a descent distance during rush hour to meet me at a Walmart so that I would have to deal with that traffic. Absolutely a stand up guy. To be fair, the service from Pistol Gear sounds to be pretty damn good from what I have heard, but i have no experience purchasing from them.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
islandboy said:
Sorry, I didn't realize this was "his" forum. Obviously a Newbie lol
Not my forum, they just give me a spot so the questions don't have to overwhelm the main parts. The R&D for the rod was done with forum members, at first just to prove the concept After 35 rods sent out at no charge, I was satisfied it would work as intended. Because of this I view the rod as a group effort. I did not want to do it, they made me do it. :wink:

When I first started selling the rods I did it direct, but soon changed to thru the forum owner Kermee so that profits could help the forum (when $ was scarce for supporting the forum). When Kermee got out of selling the rods, I started selling them thru the forum members who where starting up businesses.

I wear the "Commercial Sponsor" moniker more from an informal donation of profits last year, and I'm not sure how much time that bought. If we could find Kermee again I could ask him, I may be up for more support :D

Speaking of support, enter the raffle to support the forum. I have donated a couple of stainless rods and a custom tungsten one too, and there are other great prizes up for grabs. http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=25538

·
Registered
143 Posts
This may move into the other forum, but I just got my DGR and 22# spring today and installation was a breeze, very easy and I actually think that the look of the gun has improved (yeah, yeah, maybe a stupid thing but I like a good looking gun :))

I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow to try it out, and I'll have the original spring assembly just in case something happens/I don't like the combo I just installed.

Also, a big +++ to pistol-gear.com, they shipped the order out the day I ordered it and it arrived 2 business days later. Very nice!!

And, being a sucker for accessories, I bought the Packy grip thingy (is that technical enough for the part?) and will report on it as well after trying it {fwiw, I put the grip on over the decal grip i bought before, the combination of the two makes the grip feel very secure - I was worried about the grip slipping / turning }

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased a Wolf guide rod & spring (sorry Don) and noticed that it was quite easy for the slide to come out of battery. The slide would move to the rear about 1/16 of an inch but it was enough that the weapon wouldn't fire when the trigger was pulled. More importantly the weapon would not return to battery unless shaken or the slide pushed foreward. Now I had a 22 pound spring in there and when I shook the weapon I could hear the slide moving. This being my duty weapon, I went back to the stock captive assembly which keeps the slide firmly in battery. I just wanted to know / let anyone else know about the problems I had with the guide rod I purchased.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Don's rod is great. I highly recommend it. I use it in both my XD-9 service models with a #20 Wolff spring and the bronze washer. It makes the whole slide cycle smoother and the gun really rocks now.

All Hail Don's Rod!!
All Hail Don's Rod!!
All Hail Don's Rod!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I browsed around the forum for a good while before buying anything for my XD-40.(my first XD) It worked just fine outta the box to be honest with ya.
I got to reading about how a rod/spring combo might help with the way it shot...so I bought it. Just to see.
It did help. Nothing miracle like, but did reduce the muzzle flipping upwards quite a bit. Instead of flipping up quite hard....the slide comes straight back if that makes any sense. It's a bit easier to control now when shooting.
Then I read about how some people have had stock assemblies fail...and makin a mess tryin to get it back apart etc.
I did not like that notion....so when I had my XD-9(2nd one) in layaway...I went ahead and order another spring/rod combo. I had the part before I even had my new XD.
I feel comfortable now that at least one thing isn't gonna break.
Unless Don sent out some crappy rods!

·
Registered
143 Posts
My review on the DGR is at http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=26739

to quote myself :)
I didn't notice much difference between the new setup and the stock captive spring part it replaced. The recoil didn't appear to be reduced much, and reacquisition wasn't any faster for me. It was slightly better than the stock spring, but not like I was expecting (perhaps expectations were too high?).

I did notice with the new setup that the initial rack of the slide after the mag was inserted didn't seem as "solid" as the best way to describe it. It seemed like perhaps I needed to be more forceful with the racking process to make it "snap" like the stock spring does, I would have thought that would have been the opposite given that the new spring is heavier...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts