Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy shooting the M15A2 with iron sights. Putting an optic on this fine rifle isn't an option for me, it's just fine with "irons".

However, I'm considering changing my current irons to a sight system with more precision at 600 feet. The sights on the rifle currently is a Trijicon front sight post and a large aperture peep rear sight (one dot system). They work very well at 300 feet.

Thankfully, the luminous front sight is very faint compared to the Trijicon sights I had installed on my M1911. The problem is the size of the "lollypop" front sight post. It's huge! At 100 yards, the front sight covers approximately a 10" diameter area (over 31 square inches). At two hundred yards it covers twice that area and becomes difficult and slow aiming.

Yesterday, I went to the ArmaLite website and looked at the iron sights that are available. The "hooded crosshair" sight and a small aperture rear sight looked like something I would consider, but I have no experience with this type of system.

Most of the AR shooting I do now is target shooting with the occasional hog and deer hunt. The Trijicon is great, just too big.

Does anybody have experience with the hooded-crosshair sights. What would be the downside? In your experience, would a different iron sight system work better?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, John.

I'm still intrigued by the "crosshair" type front sights, although the V-notch front post is interesting and cheap.

The "Tactical Duplex" crosshair (The most expensive, don't you know!) seems like the front runner. Guessing......I may not have to change my large aperture peep sight. It would be great for hunting and it fills my plan for an effective 200yd sight.

Their's nothing like the AR........close tolerances, interchangeable parts, and many (too many?) options.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have the national match rear and front sight post for my service rifle match. No cross hairs or other fancy stuff but its pretty darn accurate. Rear aperture is much smaller than stock and the front post is also very thin.

AR-15/M16 NATIONAL MATCH SIGHT KIT - Brownells

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I saw those on the ArmaLite website.......They don't call them "National Match" for nothing, do they.

Are the NM sights covered by any competition rules or standardization rules, or are they just the best for accuracy?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Not sure but they are for sure very different from stock. The aperture is much smaller and the post is very thin. When aligning them on target they don't cover the entire target like a normal sight would. I'm sure there's some sort of standard. They are adjustable an sub moa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts