Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a night to be out there, over 150 shooters…WOW! Not to mention the likes of Rob Leathem, Matt Burkett and Matt Kartozian. Leathem was shooting Limited faster than every OPEN shooter. Burkett, I think, was using a sub-compact Glock in the .45 GAP caliber. Watching him shoot was pretty wild, the majority shooting guns twice his guns size; it almost looked like a play gun in his holster. Not sure what Kartozian was shooting, a glock, but not sure which one. One thing that stuck out was that all three of these guys were very approachable. Joe Platt, a local open guy, introduced me to each one of them and the “pro guy attitude with most sports” was not there at all. I made some small talk with the guys, bugged Matt about some glock info and XD stuff and got some good advice from Leatham..”shoot fast and don’t miss, it’s the aiming part that takes time”.

Anyway, my match report goes like this.

I shot limited with my USP 9 and I am getting much more comfortable with the basics. I teamed up with Joe a few hours prior to the match and he helped me out quite a bit with stance, breaking down stages, draws and trigger pull. Not to mention the Matt Burkett video I purchased, it sure puts things into perspective and is a MUST HAVE for the newbie. Times are mediocre, but I am feeling faster and more comfortable each night. I feel it will all come together with more practice and refining the basics. I learn by doing and seeing things, so now I need to get off my lazy ass and practice.

There is a Fun Gun category that I shot my XD40 in, it’s the service model. I have only had 100 rounds thru it, so the gun is still “new” to me. My only goal was to be accurate, I didn’t care if it took me minutes, I wanted to hit all those plates on the first shot. That went somewhat well up until the last stage, but I did get some good feedback from the XD and I like it a lot.

I plan on using the XD for IDPA and it definitely needs some work. In my mind, here is what I need

Adjustable sites – I was aiming at the top of the targets and hitting pretty low
Recoil spring – It kicks like a mule..maybe I’ll get a softer round, but a spring is cheap at this point
Trigger – What else can be said, it’s nasty.

Other than that, I’m having fun and making progress. I plan on retiring the USP in the next month or so and going to a G35 for IPSC stuff. We’ll see…maybe I really will shoot better with a “race” gun…I highly doubt it…hehehe

Tank

·
Registered
398 Posts
You met Rob Leatham! :shock: His video, "how to shoot fast and accurately" is what started it all for me back in 90 or so. Leatham is the master.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts