Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 5000ish rounds through it the only issue I have ever had with my born in 2004 9mm XD subcompact is the finish on the slide. It started showing holster wear rapidly which is a non issue to me but Im tired of dealing with the rust. With condensation in extreme cold and the moisture from being carried IWB all the time its a never ending battle.

So tomorrow Im sending my slide out to Springer Precision for Ionbond coating and some other stuff. Its gonna kill me to be without it for so long but it will be nice to have an extremely hard and durable finish when it comes back.

You can kind of see the wear on my SC in this pic but its a lot worse in person. The finish on my 2010 vintage 9mm Tactical is pretty bulletproof shows absolutely zero holster wear.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
You know Springfield would Melonite it for free right?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
If it's pre Melonite and rusting, they'll re-do it. There used to be a sticky about rusty XDs but it's gone now.
Nothing wrong with Ionbond from what I hear, as long as your ok with the price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's pre Melonite and rusting, they'll re-do it. There used to be a sticky about rusty XDs but it's gone now.
Nothing wrong with Ionbond from what I hear, as long as your ok with the price.
If the price wasn't so reasonable I wouldn't have went ahead and sent it. Sending Scott my complete slide its $75.

And after all the questions I had been asking Scott over the last week I would have felt like a dick calling him and saying " nevermind,I'm gonna get it done for free somewhere else" :D

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad about that. I only want to do work that folks want done.

The IonBond DiamondBlack will wear better (much) than the melonite finish. In 3 weeks I've worn through the finish on my 5.25 and Kyle has yet to wear through his FDE IonBond finish in a year worth of draws in a Kydex holster.

FYI, we do IonBond finishing for SA's Custom Shop.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
For $75, I'd have Scott IonBond it.

It will wear much better than melonite..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't feel bad about that. I only want to do work that folks want done.

The IonBond DiamondBlack will wear better (much) than the melonite finish. In 3 weeks I've worn through the finish on my 5.25 and Kyle has yet to wear through his FDE IonBond finish in a year worth of draws in a Kydex holster.

FYI, we do IonBond finishing for SA's Custom Shop.
I sent it out to you on my lunch today. After taking care of me when I goofed up my trigger bar I will never go to anyone but you. Thats the main reason I want you to do the work :)

And my sub compact gets a little abused so the harder finish will be a lot better I think.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
If the price wasn't so reasonable I wouldn't have went ahead and sent it. Sending Scott my complete slide its $75.

And after all the questions I had been asking Scott over the last week I would have felt like a dick calling him and saying " nevermind,I'm gonna get it done for free somewhere else" :D
It's all cool bro, 2shoot is fams here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I miss my sub compact!I feel so naked!

I should have added my Tactical to my permit a long time ago :rolleyes:

But until it comes back I will just haul this monster around :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I will be sending my XD 45LE (45 GAP) to Springer Precision for the IonBond and trigger work. Get ready Scott I will call this week:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it back today :cool:

The finish looks great! I cant wait to start trying to wear it off!

They put in a new striker spring,buffer spring,roll pin ,and new Trijicons that I sent with the slide.

Thanks a lot Scott !!

I will get some non phone camera pics when I get out the real camera :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice work! I'm pretty close to sending my xd in for either ionbonding or poly-T2 (thats at robar). Still looking for info on which one is more durable though... At any rate, nice pics. Can't wait to see more. That's not the diamond black is it? It looks more gray than I expected.

·
Registered
297 Posts

It's just the lighting that makes it look gray in the pics. It is the diamond black. It's a satin black.
Looks good either way... That 4-6 week wait must have sucked lol. I talked to a guy at Springer that said they were planning on beefing up operations within the next month or so for better turnaround times. That would def. help to ease my mind...

Did you dismantle the slide or send it in whole? And did they install the sites for you as well? (sorry about all the ?'s, just really interested)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good either way... That 4-6 week wait must have sucked lol. I talked to a guy at Springer that said they were planning on beefing up operations within the next month or so for better turnaround times. That would def. help to ease my mind...

Did you dismantle the slide or send it in whole? And did they install the sites for you as well? (sorry about all the ?'s, just really interested)
It was eight weeks and man was it a killer towards the end :lol:

I sent in the complete slide and I sent the Trijicons in with it to be installed by Springer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The new XD's seem a lot better. The finish on my XD 45 Service that I bought a week ago has a finish like a Glock ! Melonite with an eggshell sheen. I was suprised !
My XDM 3.8 compact doesn't have a finish like that, it's more of a flat black melonite.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
For those who don't know how hard it is to take photos of black, here is a more accurate color of the DiamondBLACK.

IonBond is adding some capacity to deal with the turn around time. They are only running their coating machines 7 days a week 3 shifts a day currently :shock:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts