Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my closest bud come over for a long awaited visit yesterday.
It's been a good while since the guy's had time to hang out. Which is really odd, since usually he's in a big hurry to leave. Just so he don't make his woman upset for bein out too long.(long story!) :roll:
We made our way into the woods to check for storm damage, and to hang up some new "no trespassing" signs. As usual he had to test out his "new 4x4" on dry dirt. :roll: "Yeah bro. Ya couldn't get stuck anywhere" I say :lol:
Anyways, we made it back to the house, and I felt it would only be polite to invite him to shoot my XD-9. He hasn't shot for years. The last time he came over he was "Mr. Tactical" with his Taurus PT92. I couldn't hit the side of a fat lady with my Rugers. He "showed me how to do it"
As usual I was already packin since ya never know what jerk you may find in my woods. I've had terrible luck keepin poachers, and thieves away from my property. (stealin valuable Ginseng, Yellowroot, etc.)

I unloaded it, and laid it onto my picnic table, so I could run and grab some of my plinkin rounds. I don't like shootin my expensive Gold Dots too much. Of course he was inspectin the hollow points, and was impressed at the bullet design.
So here we go. I put up a few pop cans, and stepped off around 30ft. "Do ya think that's far enough/too far"he says. I told him to trust me. I wasn't out to drive tacks today.
So I explained to my bud how the XD worked. What the grip safety/trigger safety was, and so on. I informed him that it had no manual safety on it. :shock:
I started to demonstrate how to take it apart. I pushed up on the slide release lever, and pulled it back. WTF it wouldn't come off. I pretended that it must've been broken.....until I dropped the mag out :wink: Dang it still won't come off! Oops, I didn't have the grip safety pushed all the way.
He was very impressed with the several safety mechanisms on this thing. I told him they had all of that in mind when they designed this thing.
After I got it apart I showed him the new Don's guide rod/spring combo..then put it back together.
I handed it to him, and told him to slap in a mag like he would normally do. :shock: It slid in "much better than my old Taurus" etc.
After we put on some ear muffs, and was ready....I had him go ahead and let the slide slap into battery. Yet another :shock:
I motioned for him to go ahead and squeeze off a couple. ( I already explained the correct sight picture on the XD)
BLAM BLAM BLAM...cans went flyin. Sure enough he emptied the mag, and the cans went flying all over the place.
I laughed at the silly grin on his face...."I doubt I could do that again"
So I went all out and put up a paper target, and loaded another magazine.
Same routine.....but had him back up a few more feet. 10 rounds in a 3in group, and a few flyers. I told him that he might be limp wristin it....which he was.
We was gonna keep shootin but I was outta ammo. So I put her back into my holster and put it away.
AFter the fabulous day outside....I asked what he thought.
"I have shot all kinds of guns bro, but never like that one." "That was the first time I EVER layed a finger on an XD, and I was makin small groups"
The only thing I had to say was "I told ya so" 8)
Sorry for the book guys, but I love them stories. He ended up sayin that he'd like to have one of them...... "I'll sell ya one!" :lol:
Thanks for reading 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like a fun day!

It's always cool when you show a friend a new toy and he/she is nothing but impressed with it.

Another XD believer!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had a similar experience with my Dad awhile back. He shot my XD40 at the range and first clip he shot the 10 ring out of the target,he turns and looks at me with a grin from ear to ear and says " I have never shot a group like that in my life, I love those sights and the way the gun just naturally falls right where it needs to" This is after it took me 45 minutes to talk him into shooting it at all. he kept telling me "oh no the 40 has got way to much kick for me, you go ahead." After shooting out the ten ring a few more times with it, all he talked about all the way home was the XD what calibers?,how much? sizes?Accessorys?etc...He told me to keep my eye out for one in a 9 or 40 for him. Anyway yesterday I sold his pistol and bought a XD9 service for him at a gun show for $371 and some change out the door. I called him and told him I found him a new gun and was going to the range to test it out and asked if he wanted to go. He was waiting at the end of his driveway for me when I got there with his range bag in hand. :D We got to the range and he shot 100 WWB value pak thru it and only missed the 10 ring a handful of times shooting at all distances. He again was grinning Ear to Ear! :D It was awesome. What makes his shooting even more impressive is he has horrible eyesight and has to wear very thick lenses in his glasses.

Add Another satisfied XD owner to the growing list.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: I dunno what it is, but I just love them kinda stories.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts