Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of newer pistols are using an external extractor. The XD has an internal extractor. Is one design inherently better than the other? Is this a weak link in the XD design? I have an XD-9 Service that is flawless. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm sure some readers on the board would like to see the XD go to an external extractor. Truth is, MOST internal XD extractors don't really have problems. There's always going to be a few units that make it out less than perfect. SOOOO, you now have an excuse to shoot thousands of rounds to see if yours is going to pose a reliability problem. If it does, give Springfield a call and they'll make it right. If not, no problemo.

-stunks

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Given a choice, I would go with an external extractor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Internal is on the inside of the slide, just as Mr. Browning designed it for the 1911. The external can be seen on the outside just behind the ejection port, take a look at any Glock or new Kimber. The external is considered better as a rule, more reliable plus easier to service. But on the other hand...Kimbers did work fine until they switched to the external now they are having major problems. Some gun companies just know how to make the external work, such as Glock and S&W. Some know how to make the internal work, such as SA and Colt. :wink:

·
Registered
359 Posts
To echo Mr. Packin', you'll find people with both kinds with no problems from either one. Law of large numbers, or something.

-stunks

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
How about this why replace a one peice part with a minimum of three parts. 1911`s have worked for years with internal extractors, and besides the springs for the extrenal extractors will weaken over time so you have the same problems, with an external extractor its eaiser for dirt and grit to effect it. But I am just playing the devils advocate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The critical part about getting any extractor to work right is the tensioning.

Both work well. The BHP and SIGs worked well w internal extractors, and the newer ones work just as well or better w internal extractors.

Might as well argue over which is "better", the external hammer on some guns, or the internal striker on some others... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts