Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several tens of thousands of rounds through my XD40 service now and I'm starting to get a few light strikes. A while back, I broke the cocked indicator. So I decided to completely strip the slide and frame and do a thorough cleaning while replacing some of the main springs. WOW, I really took out some major dirt and grime. I think I might do this more often. I have the parts soaking in Hoppes right now.

My question is, would there be any problem with putting metal parts in a tumbler to clean them? I wasn't sure if it would take even the slightest amount of metal off and screw with the tolerances.

·
Vendor
775 Posts
I have used a tumbler to polish small parts. The biggest concern is using the right media. use some walnut shells mixed with some corncob husk (more shells then husk) the ratio isn't critical. Put a table spoon of flitz polish in and in about 8-12 hours you should have some bright polished parts. If you have too many parts for the amount of media they can wear aginst each other and give you some problems.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is flitz polish something I can get locally? Why would pure corncob be bad?

·
Vendor
775 Posts
You can order flitz on line. It is a non abrasive polish. I'm not sure if someone carries it in a store. I think that you would be OK with just corncob husk. you might have to let the parts run longer. I like the walnut shells because they are a little more abrasive. The media serves two purposes the first is to suspend the parts and keep them from banging into each other. The second is to scrub the parts that you are trying to polish.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I should make sure. You are talking about a vibratory tumbler? I haven't tried to polish any thing in a rotary tumbler.
Yep, vibratory tumbler

·
Registered
143 Posts
Flitz/Maas is readily available in Wal-Mart (if you decide to support their stores). If I recall, it is in the isle with all of the other household cleaners. Look for a toothpaste like tube.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Flitz/Maas is readily available in Wal-Mart (if you decide to support their stores). If I recall, it is in the isle with all of the other household cleaners. Look for a toothpaste like tube.
yep.. +1.. MAAS works great..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts