Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually did some research on this not too long ago. It seems there are an equal number of people on both sides of this fence. For me, I decided to play it safe with the 165 grn. I think it is still a great round for personal defense and I can't see risking any potential damage to my handgun or myself by using the 180 grn, especially in cheaply made range ammo form. What does everyone else think? Check out this article before you post though. Just something to think about.

http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Lots of people agree that the .40 should never have been loaded to 180 grains!!!!!!! I shoot 165 through my XD .40 SC the one I do not carry as a backup I use the XD 9mm SC for that!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm sitting here trying to figure out how much faith I should put in that article. On the one hand, it makes sense, and if it's accurate, I should take heed, as I currently carry 180's. On the other hand, if I'm allowed to write anything I want and put it on the net, it makes me suspect of anything I see on the net.

It's certainly something to think about...

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I ask myself, if there was any real problem with 180 gr. .40 cartridges, would all the major manufacturers be making them available? Since the answer is no, they would not be manufacturing them if there was a liability problem, I buy them if they are on sale. I also reload 180s, and sometimes even 200 grain bullets. But, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think this is symptomatic of our culture. In America, bigger is better. I think in order for all of the different ammunition manufacturers to stay competitive they were forced to offer the .40 round in 180 grains. I think they know that regardless of its attributes some people will choose it over the 165 grain because it sounds more bad-ass. If they don't have a 180 grain to sell, their competitors will.

One portion of that article that I thought was really interesting, especially if it is true, was where the author states that the manufacturers intentionally "under-load" the 180 grain rounds because they know of the risk of high pressure.

I'm not sure I buy it all either, but it makes for good discussion.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
WOW that was very intresting I have put at least 1000 rounds of wwb 180 threw my service tried one box of 165 lot less force and shot worse guess I'll try them agian personlly I don't reload so I'm not affraid of a kaboom :lol:
you know once you try somthing if goes good repeat till it doesn't work

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
XD-Fan said:
One portion of that article that I thought was really interesting, especially if it is true, was where the author states that the manufacturers intentionally "under-load" the 180 grain rounds because they know of the risk of high pressure.
Well as a data point.

I used to reload a lot of 357 and 38 super. I would tend to load to 95% case pressure limits because I like hot loads. When you switch to a heavier bullet, since it takes more energy to push it, if you use the same powder charge as a lighter bullet that is already getting close to case pressure limits, you are risking a case rupture so you would actually take a couple tenths of a grain of powder out of the charge. This primarily applies to automatics because w/ the cylinder to bbl spacing in revolvers, the gap there acts like a bit of a pressure release valve so you can run the same or maybe a touch hotter powder charge if you are trying to get muzzle velocity up.

As you said, interesting for discussion. :)

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
180's are subsonic, so they are good for silencer use :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have pushed 5000 rnds thru my Glock 23 with reloaded, 95% of max charge and 180gr JHP and not a single issue with the gun or ammo. Just like everything else on the internet, you need to take it with a grain of salt.

Tank

·
Registered
903 Posts
Seems like all the .40 ammo I'm able to buy cheaply (Wal-mart & Academy) are 180. I've only shot about 200rds of 165 in my Beretta 96, and probably 2000rds of 180, with no problems whatsoever.

Interesting read and thanks for posting it. This is one of those "time will tell" situations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
15 grains of bullet weight doesn't amount to a fart in a high breeze as far additional stress to the mechanism. No way I'd lose any sleep over 180s vs 165s in factory trim.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
As I understand the problem its not the extra mass of the bullet but the sensitivity of the heavy bullet load to bullet seating depth. A slightly deeper bullet seat then expected and the pressures can climb very quickly.

mcb

·
Registered
59 Posts
mcb, I believe you are right. I feel if the ammo companies are using the proper density powders, the likelyhood of a KB from seating depth/setback is minimized. To the point where with factory ammo it would never be a concern to me. Reloaders need to be aware and watch their stuff with the .40 certainly.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i too have been wondering about this topic....so i asked some friends of mine that would have an idea.....Indiana State Police are ISSUED .40cal 180's by the thousands
Speer Gold Dots to be exact....they have done study after study about it....i think trusting a trooper is a good idea?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I usually buy the Wal-Mart 100 WWB value pack (165 gr) I did notice the other day that the CCI Blazers 50 round box was cheaper if you do the math so I picked up a box of those, never tried em before.

However, right now Wal-Mart is clearancing out the 40 S&W UMC Leadless rounds. I bought 3 - 50 round boxes at $5.00 a box. They're 180 grain but at $5 bucks a box I won't let that article stop me from using them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts