Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Echo......echo...echo..echo ;)

·
Banned
98 Posts
Funny how the 185 gr jhp .45, at 950 fps never amounted to a hoot, but a 180 gr, 950 fps .40 jhp is "somehow" THE THING. :) The .40 pocket pistol is not controlable, the 9mm pocket pistol BARELY is, if it's 16 ozs or so, and if you know enough to use very high velocity, lw bullets in it, for low recoil, best chance of expanding the bullet. The pocket holster is where it's at, due to the major advantage of being able to be "gun in hand", while it's still concealed.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I've never been one for pocket pistols, I may have just not come across the right one. I also am not a big fan of subcompacts. I'm happy with a compact/service, or tactical length pistol for CC or OC. I'm looking forward to Beretta's Nano (pocket sized, striker fired 9mm) but currently I carry an FNP40.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I switched to .40s&w from 9mm and I am happy with my switch. I find the .40 to be very controlable and don't mind it. I also don't feel 9mm is a bad choice, i carried it for years and never felt under gunned. However i only lost 1 round going from a G26 to a XD40sc and to me that is not a significant loss. Also, everytime i read about this great debate i always hear about how "in the last 10 years ammo has changed alot and 9mm has come a long way" and i agree with that statement. 9mm has come a long way in the last 5-10 years, but what about other calibers in those years? have they not changed as well? is .40 s&w or .45acp sitting still and not growing with times? just saying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shot placement is paramount... And, I was once wrong on this subject, as well... The fact is, 9mm is more controllable in pairs and failure shooting than .45 is *for me, and my foreseeable defensive situations.*

The result is that I carry a .45 when I like, and I never feel under-armed when I choose one of my 9mms, instead.

·
Banned
98 Posts
at realistic ranges, and in adequately skilled hands, the .45 is just as contolable. 10 ft, that is, and A class shottists. The only placement likely is in the chest, if you could reliably hit the heart, why not brain him? same 4-5" target, and the brain hit is FAR more likely to have the desired, instantaneous result. One lung being hit means very little, since he has a "spare", and blood loss will take many seconds to have an effect, even if you hit the heart, much less the liver, spleen or kidneys.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
at realistic ranges, and in adequately skilled hands, the .45 is just as contolable. 10 ft, that is, and A class shottists. The only placement likely is in the chest, if you could reliably hit the heart, why not brain him? same 4-5" target, and the brain hit is FAR more likely to have the desired, instantaneous result. One lung being hit means very little, since he has a "spare", and blood loss will take many seconds to have an effect, even if you hit the heart, much less the liver, spleen or kidneys.
Hitting the brain doesn't guarantee incapacitation either. Hitting the brain stem, however, will incapacitate immediately, provided the stem/spinal cord is severed. A hit to the heart leaves around 30 seconds, at max, of coordination and movement to the victim (according to published combat marksmanship materials, USMC, 2010). Hitting and possibly collapsing a lung will have a dramatic effect on the combat effectiveness of whoever you hit, having a "spare" lung doesn't matter. Hitting a major artery can takes up to 2 minutes to cause enough blood to leave circulation and have an effect. A hit to the pelvis has a very big chance of causing the person hit to stop walking/running and fall to the ground with a fractured pelvis, which btw holds a good amount of blood if they hemorrhage. Either way, caliber means nothing if you can't hit what you're aiming at, and can't do it very quickly over and over. We can do drills all day long on the range but when the hormones kick in and your life is on the line, cut your accuracy by at least half and that's the best you can hope for at any range.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What ghost-scout said. Going for a head shot in an adrenelin charged situation is a very low percentage shot. The standard center mass is the best option for the average, moderately trained gun owner. Followed by pelvic region. However, a good shotgun blast to either, will normally cease the threat. LOL

g-s and I must be neighbors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts