·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
23 June 05

SA XD

I attended part of the SA XD Armorer's Class yesterday. It is clear
that SA is making a sincere effort to get the XD accepted by the police
community as an legitimate, duty gun. As I've said in the past, XDs we're had in classes have all worked fine.

However, real problems made themselves apparent during the class.
Glocks, even at the armorer level, are nearly impossible to reassemble wrong. Glock parts are designed to fit together only one way. When they don't fit together, that is a hint that you are doing it incorrectly. SA
engineers need to take note. A number of XD parts can be easily put in place backwards and/or upside down, with no clue that assembly is inappropriate. When assemble is complete, the pistol won't work. In fact, the is one blind hole, designed to receive a pin. If the pin inadvertently goes in backward, it cannot be removed and must be drilled out!

If SA is serious about making inroads into the police market, they are going to have to make engineering changes in the XD that make the job of the armorer less tedious. The XD is a good gun, but it is not up to Glock standards yet.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Only a dork or a first time (semi auto) shooter could screw up a simple field strip on an XD.
I don't know for sure..but it sounds like he's talking about much more than a field strip...cuz your right..and idiot can do it...i know...i did it! :lol:

·
Registered
454 Posts
GLOCK GOOD...... XD BAD........Yeah we get it. Never a problem with glocks,always problems with XD. Did he call SA engineers or just expect them to read his article and make the fixes he mentions??

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
So your talking about an armorer who is to stupid to figure it out. I see. Your here gripping because you were not bright enough to pass the class? Or did you just read someone else's BS and come here to grip. I'll see if I can get you an appointment with Dr. Phill (make sure you buy his book first) . Maybe he can help you??? I doubt it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you are not smart enough to take it apart and put it back properly you should not be an amoror. as for a field strip and clean if you cant do that you are not smart enough to be a cop and carry a gun period.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Its kind of like the Lenny Mcgill dvd disassembly video when the Firing pin safety retainer pin (Hey I actually knew the name of the part and didnt even have to stumble and look at a script) well any way when the retainer pin would not slide in he take a hammer and pounds it in.....I cringed and wonder how long it took him to realize he did something stupid. The pin hes talking about is probably the loaded chamber indicator pin to keep it in place they kind of stake the end so if you put it in backwards it does kind of get stuck...but if your too stupid and feel resistance dont get a bigger hammer like lenny all of the pins and all of the parts fit snug and should go in with out too much trouble. Also the pistol will still function with the indicator compleately taken out this is not the type of disassembly thats done on the "street" anyway thats why full disassembly is for the Armorers who should be qualified and know that, the one pin should not be tight and require a big hammer to pound it in and get it stuck.

One-eye Davis was quoting some one else, david who is John and why should we listen to him. If hes a Genius armorer or something he may have something.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I am no armorer.. but I have done complete disassembles on my pistol several times.

On my first detail cleaning I did have one problem.. I inserted the grip safety spring incorrectly.. so I am proof that indeed a part can be put in incorrectly and reassembled not functioning properly. I wouldn't think an armorer would make the same mistake. But it could happen.

And, for the life of me, I can't think of a single pin that could be inserted back wards that would need to be be drilled out if inserted improperly. Please elaborate on that point.

Raymond

Edited to add: Oh.. you must be talking about the "roll pin" on the top of the slide.. I think if you try to insert that from the underside you are in deep doo-doo.. but you would have to be kind of stupid to do it. However, you can buy a new roll pin at any True-Value or Ace Hardware.. That's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Hell I forgot I talked overkill through putting his gun back together over the phone and his pistol still works.

And what part completely disables the pistols function.....you can take a lot of stuff out of the xd and it will still function.

Here is more info on John that I googled
http://www.defense-training.com/

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
And what part completely disables the pistols function.....you can take a lot of stuff out of the xd and it will still function
I'm thinking of taking the trigger out...will it still work? :lol:

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Now thats a needed part.
Oh by the way its a sad day tommorrow I am going to my local gunshop and trading all of my xd`s and hs2000`s and getting a glock bye everybody.

You do know though we have been told that our xd and hs2000`s were not as good as glocks since day one I for one dont care how it compares to the glock.

Oh yea my 45gap I have been told sucks compared to the ACP so I am beyond repair.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Don't fret, boys. I am personally aware of 3 glocks that kaboomed on LE firing lines, one (a 10mm) with significant lacerations to the officer's wrist & hand. We received NCIC tele-types for years, at the rate of 3-4 a month, describing other kabooms with glocks in calibers above 9mm.

These same gomers who will go all over an XD with a magnifying glass, looking for any reason real or imagined to say it is unfit as a duty pistol- will stand flat-footed and tell you that the only thing wrong with glocks is BAD AMMO.

Never argue with these people. It's a waste of time.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Come on One-eye please take that down, do it for me becuase I want to see others opiions about this article David passed on to us.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Now thats a needed part.
Oh by the way its a sad day tommorrow I am going to my local gunshop and trading all of my xd`s and hs2000`s and getting a glock bye everybody.
A sick joke :p

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Some AR parts can go in backwards, whats his point.

I bet I can stomp the slide of an HK on backwards too. They must suck.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Oh yea, you know if Glock had updated thier gun to have a better grip angle, a cocking indicator, a loaded chamber indicator, and a safety backstrap the glock sites would be full of threads that have titles like...

THE NEW GENERATION ROCKS!!!

THIS JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER!!!

THIS IS THE WHOLE PACKAGE!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts