Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,
Took my brother to the NF range today so he could try out his new to him Glock 26 (no hatin' plz, he got a great deal on it from my ret cop buddy). I brought my XDSC40, Kahr CM9 and my T/C Icon .308 for some practice for deer season later this year.
First of all, I enjoy shooting my CM9 and carry it daily but my XD is still my first love for shooting fun. Not bragging or anything, but it was pretty cool being able to tag the 100yd rifle target a few times. Just a good shooter.
Bro got used to the Glock after awhile and put about 250rds through it.
All in all a good time, yet there's always something...
Some folks show up and setup a few benches over. Totin what looks like an AK47 but different (I'm no expert, but that's what it looked like). I hear some fiddlin, talking, then BOOM. I hear some cussing, look over and find out that the rifle had what they called a "slam fire." Anyone know what this is? They said they had bought it from a pawn shop and were concerned the previous owner had modified it for full auto....
All I can say is it's a good thing it was pointed downrange. This is why we have gun safety rules. :shock:

·
Registered
538 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the "slam fire" comes from the free-floating firing pin in AR's. I think that when many AR's slam shut on a round, the firing pin will always impact on the round, which is why the military rifle ammunition has extra firm primers.

Maybe. Just my recollection of a thread I read a while back.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
slam fire = closing the action and chambering a round causing said round to fire WITHOUT touching the trigger.

Often caused by stuck, excessively dirty or broken firing pin. Can be a result of "bubba gunsmith" actions too.

Your story reminds me of why I ALWAYS strip, inspect and completely clean any new to me gun.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Your story reminds me of why I ALWAYS strip, inspect and completely clean any new to me gun.
sometimes that's not enough. people sometimes miss things.

like soaking a bolt in solvent until the pin moves smoothly and not giving it another thought until it jams and you try to extract the round and POP!

WTF WUZZAT?

you can do everything "right" and there is still that variable with an unproven firearm.

a guy with his first AK might not know 100% what he is supposed to be looking for. looking at pic online and following instructions from people that are supposed to know doesn't really take the place of first hand experience or direct instruction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts