Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something to replace my Glock 19 as my carry gun. So far from my research, the XD45 4" compact seems pretty well suited for that job. Ideally, I'd like to find something that is the same frame size or only slightly larger. I'm also looking to step up in caliber from 9mm to 45acp. And I also love the idea of having a thumb safety! Do you guys think that the XD45c 4" will meet my requirements?

Also, nearly every gun I've purchased I've done so online. I've always been able to find much better prices and selection than the places around me. I like the Dark Earth XD45c 4", but can't seem to find them on gunbroker (which makes me very doubtful that any place around me would have any in stock). Are there any places, stores or sites that you guys would recommend that have either a Dark Earth XD45c 4" w/thumb safety or the all black model?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The 45Compact meets EVERY requirement as far as I'm concerned, but it doesn't come with the thumb safety yet, only the 45Service and 45Tactical so far.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree, you don't need the thumb safety with the XDs! It is my understanding that Springfield only made the thumb safety, so that it could compete in a Military Contract Bid for new 45 service weapons that the military were looking for. The thumb safety was a requirement for the bid.

If you really want a XD45C with thumb safety, just buy a XD45 Service with Thumb Safety. Then have Springer Precision cut the grip down to a Compact grip for $75.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I'm particularly interested in a thumb safety is because of my main method of carry. I generally use a SmartCarry. For those of you that are familiar with it, it's a great way to carry concealed. The only perceived drawbacks IMO are its location and the material. I'd feel much more comfortable carrying with one in the chamber w/a thumb safety since the gun is located/facing my groin region. Trigger safeties will suffice if using a kydex holster or something else made of a strong material that won't allow anything into the trigger well area, but I'm not so sure with the SmartCarry.

Before everyone goes telling me to get a new holster, I have several others for my Glock that I use from time to time. It all depends on what I'm wearing, where I'm going, etc. The smartcarry happens to be one of my favorites, and definitely conceals the firearm the best. When I go to work, I need that concealment.

I didn't realize they didn't make the XD45c 4" w/a thumb safety. My options are I guess then to get the XD45c 4" or get the XD45 4" service model w/a thumb safety. I'm going to go to a store and hopefully get my hands on one to see how they feel/how hard or easy each would be to coneal.

How much larger would a XD45 4" service be than my Glock 19? Think it would be considerably more difficult to conceal? I could always get it chopped down as well.

Any online retailers that have a large selection of XD45s in stock or able and willing to order them?

Thanks again for the advice guys!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thumb Safeties are apparently a bone of contention among XD owners. Take a look at the SA thumb safety video at the top of this (.45 XD) forum and decide for yourself. I wish my XD 9 SC had a thumb safety but it doesn't.

Having my XD.45 Service cut down to Compact size is an interesting thought. Hmmm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thumb Safeties are apparently a bone of contention among XD owners.
You got that right.

I don't understand why so many people hate the idea of a positive safety mechanism.

I personally would feel more comfortable with one. That's really all that matters. I wish Springfield would make a compact with a thumb safety...I would be buying one now if they did. A gun that I feel comfortable carrying is 100x better than a gun I don't.

I'd still like some recommendations on places that carry XDs. I'm gonna go to my local store on Sunday to see how I like the fit and feel of the various XDs (and who knows, if the price is decent and they have what I want in stock, I might leave with one).

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm looking for something to replace my Glock 19 as my carry gun. So far from my research, the XD45 4" compact seems pretty well suited for that job. Ideally, I'd like to find something that is the same frame size or only slightly larger. I'm also looking to step up in caliber from 9mm to 45acp. And I also love the idea of having a thumb safety! Do you guys think that the XD45c 4" will meet my requirements?

Also, nearly every gun I've purchased I've done so online. I've always been able to find much better prices and selection than the places around me. I like the Dark Earth XD45c 4", but can't seem to find them on gunbroker (which makes me very doubtful that any place around me would have any in stock). Are there any places, stores or sites that you guys would recommend that have either a Dark Earth XD45c 4" w/thumb safety or the all black model?

Thanks in advance!
I ended up with the dark earth when the dealer said he ordered OD. I had my mind set on the OD because that is what he had coming and he only got one. When I got there it was dark earth. I said what the heck, I will take it anyway. Glad I did as I like the dark earth better now that I got to see them in real life. I also think they are all very good looking and would not hesitate in jumping on anyone of them.
Good luck in finding the one you want as any XD is one heck of a gun.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
You got that right.

I don't understand why so many people hate the idea of a positive safety mechanism.
I dislike it because it's unnecessary. It adds no real safety value to the gun (assuming you are following the basic gun safety rules), and is one more fine motor skill to master in order to carry (flipping off the safety, that is).

I always keep the mindset (on ALL my guns) that if I don't pull the trigger, the gun won't fire. So far it's worked out pretty well.

But, different strokes for different folks...right now your only option is to buy the service and do a grip chop. There are a number of companies out there that will do that for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dislike it because it's unnecessary. It adds no real safety value to the gun (assuming you are following the basic gun safety rules), and is one more fine motor skill to master in order to carry (flipping off the safety, that is).

I always keep the mindset (on ALL my guns) that if I don't pull the trigger, the gun won't fire. So far it's worked out pretty well.

But, different strokes for different folks...right now your only option is to buy the service and do a grip chop. There are a number of companies out there that will do that for you.
I think you're right, to an extent. Due to my job circumstances, I am pretty much limited to only carrying in a SmartCarry. I don't know if I would ever be able to get over carrying with one in the chamber in a gun that has only a trigger or a trigger + grip safety right near my groin. It's some mental hangup I have.

Not to mention, I think there is some definite value to be had in a defensive situation if your gun is taken from you and the safety is still on. Those couple of seconds could give you enough time to turn the tables on the bad guy.

Thank you for the handle chop option. I never would have thought about that. I'm going to check out the service model at my local shop and see how large it is. If I could comfortably carry the service model, I probably wouldn't chop the grip.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I carry an XD-45c in a SmartCarry. There are many tricks to this and you can line the inside of it with what amounts to Kydex by cutting out part of a milk jug and shaping it to fit by warming it up. This can let you line the SmartCarry and make it impossible to hit the trigger without drawing it.
You can also turn it sideways and rearrange it into an IWB holster without having any belt at all and no clips over your pants. This is hard to spot for even people who carry IWB themselves.
For exhaustive discussions, descriptions, illustrations and even leads to youtube videos on such things look a defensivecarry.com. Three or four of their guys write extensively about SmartCarry...Grady is perhaps the most experienced but search for SmartCarry on there and you'll find a lot. :D
As to buying one with a safety and having it chopped that would do the trick but since it means buying a 10-round mag as well and various shipping charges the total would surely run more than $75 when it was all done.
At any rate, the Xd-45 is a joy to shoot. I feel black finish is least likely to be spotted if part of it peeks out and looks more in line with the electronic gadgets, glasses cases, etc. that are growing on belts lately.
FWIW :D

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
IMHO the XD is perfectly safe with or without the thumb safety, even if you carry it aimed at your man-gear.

Because of the safety features of the XD, the only way it's going to fire is if the grip safety is engaged and the trigger is pulled. Unless your man-gear has a mind of its own and that mind is suicidal, using a SmartCarry is no problem with any XD.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
IMHO the XD is perfectly safe with or without the thumb safety, even if you carry it aimed at your man-gear.

Because of the safety features of the XD, the only way it's going to fire is if the grip safety is engaged and the trigger is pulled. Unless your man-gear has a mind of its own and that mind is suicidal, using a SmartCarry is no problem with any XD.
Look at couples leaving a bar at closing time, nearly all man-gear has a mind of it's own and is suicidal lolol

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Im a 1911 guy from way back and I too wish the compact was available with a thumb safety. I have a XD45c, abd I'm getting more comfortable carrying it, but I still like the added safety mechanism.

A trigger can be pulled with things other that a finger. How about if a jacket drawstring gets caughtup in the triggerguard, and the grip you use on reholstering depresses the grip safety. KABLOWEE. Change MY name to "Plaxico".

I've changed my grip on the weapon when reholstering; thumb on the back of the slide and three fingers at the front of the grip lets the grip saftey pop out...

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have both the G19 and XD45C. Both are awesome guns. I've mentioned this many times on this forum and I'll throw it out again: The XD45C w/10rd mag is virtually the same size as the G19. Hope this helps. I use the 13rd mag for HD.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I've changed my grip on the weapon when reholstering; thumb on the back of the slide and three fingers at the front of the grip lets the grip saftey pop out...

Precisely. I've always re-holstered my XD by pressing on the back of the slide. If you're worried about drawing safely without depressing the grip safety, it's pretty easy to do, just place your thumb on the top of the very rear of the slide, 2-3 fingers on the frontstrap, and you ca safely draw without ever touching the grip-safety or the trigger.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Precisely. I've always re-holstered my XD by pressing on the back of the slide. If you're worried about drawing safely without depressing the grip safety, it's pretty easy to do, just place your thumb on the top of the very rear of the slide, 2-3 fingers on the frontstrap, and you ca safely draw without ever touching the grip-safety or the trigger.
I hope I can remember the above draw technique when three hoodlums (or worse) are trying to hi-jack my car and booger me and the car's other other passengers. :rolleyes:

I wish my XD 9 SC had the thumb safety that my Xd .45 Service has. I wish my XD .45 Service was the size of a XD .45 Compact. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, etc., etc. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope I can remember the above draw technique when three hoodlums (or worse) are trying to hi-jack my car and booger me and the car's other other passengers. :rolleyes:

I wish my XD 9 SC had the thumb safety that my Xd .45 Service has. I wish my XD .45 Service was the size of a XD .45 Compact. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, etc., etc. :D
That is exactly why I have a Kahr PM9 (Desantis super fly) and an XD .45c ( CrossBreed SuperTuck) for personal carry. I don't want to be fumbling with a safety when I need to shoot in self defense.

A double action only weapon with a safety makes no sense. None of the revolvers I use to carry have one.

I carry the 9mm when I can't hide the .45 due to type of clothing and when I'm in a low threat enviornment. That PM9 is tiny.

I can't imagine a senerio where I could accidentally dischage either with those rigs.

Merry Christmas to you too, sir!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts