Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had all three sizes of the XD in .40cal so I have shot all and have been very impressed with the acurracy and feel of these guns. I really think I'd want the new XDm 3.8 compact but don't really want to spend $600+taxes. I have a co-worker willing to sell a clean used XD service .40 for $375 and am back and forth on whether to pick it up or not. I have never carried concealed before and was wondering if the service is too bad to conceal and if $375 is a decent price on it?

What are the XDm compacts selling used for? I'm undecided on 9 or 40 as well, for the right price either would be fine with me.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
If you wait 2 months could you buy the XDmc you really want? If so, do that. The gun won't shrink no matter how many times you wash it in hot water.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk from Texas!

That is a good price for a used XD 4" service if it's in excellent shape and been taken well care of.
Concealment is your question. Being able to conceal a pistol is not in the length of the barrel more in the size of the grip. The XDmc that your considering has the same size grip as the XDsc. The 4" service will be more difficult to conceal comfortably. If you look around, you should be able to get into the XDsc of your choice for just another $50-$75.

Best of luck in your decision. Let us know what ya came down on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The XD service does feel good to hold and shoot but I'll try to find a XDm compact for better concealment, or may buy both LOL. Where's the best place to find used handguns? I hear of Gun Broker but is it a hassel and expensive to have to go through a dealer to get the gun? If you have a CCW permit can you get it shipped directly to yourself? I'm in NC, don't know if different States are different about how to handle this or if it's just federally regulated?

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I've been carrying a service XD .40 for 6 years now. IWB holster from D.W.Bullard and now CBST. Both holsters are very comfortable and have never had anyone ask if I was carrying. Mostly dress in blue jeans and tee shirt.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Where's the best place to find used handguns? I hear of Gun Broker but is it a hassel and expensive to have to go through a dealer to get the gun? If you have a CCW permit can you get it shipped directly to yourself? I'm in NC, don't know if different States are different about how to handle this or if it's just federally regulated?

Any out of state purchase will REQUIRE an FFL to perform the transfer and check. That's federal law. Gun broker is not bad. You should go there and poke around. They have a really good section on how to transfer and a search by location for FFL's that will transfer and the cost. Around here you can get a long gun for $20 and a hand gun for $30.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I carry the XDsc .40 the XDmC .40 is more accurate due to the barrel upgrade and it is slightly longer. I baught mine from budsgunshop.com and it came with trijicon nigh sites already installed after shipping insurance ($6) and transfer fee ($25) i payed a total $555 brand new for the sub- compact and I'm in the process of getting the XDmc for my girlfriend now

IWB holster from Uncle mikes not the best but works fine for me and cost $16 i'm 5'9 167lbs 32" waist if i have on a fitted shirt i can slide the sc infornt of my waist and sit dwn comfortably

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I CC an XD45 Service every day. I carry it IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck, but I never tuck my shirt in over it. At work I keep it under a sport coat, otherwise I wear a loose shirt or T shirt untucked. It's a good-sized pistol, but no one ever seems to notice it. My wife sometimes cops a feel to check if it's there.

For OWB, try the Comp-Tac Paddle Holster.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a Charles Daly 4" 1911 .45 that I would like to sell but not sure what to ask for it. The guy I bought it from a few years ago paid $469+tax for it then had the slide parkarized, added skeletonized trigger\hammer, beaver tail safety, polished the ramp and added XS night sights. I bought a leather Galco for it and it carries comfortably but it's a tad on the heavy side and I can't put my finger on it but for some reason I'm not real crazy about a .45 caliber although I know it's very effective. Any suggestions on what to ask for it?

It's funny that I used not to like these polymer frame guns but the more I shoot and handled the XD the more I like it and want one. Just feels good, all the configurations that I've handled so far.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I often cc my XD9sc, anise little weapon for the job I think.
That is what I am buying and I also orderd a CBST....can't wait!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
It's funny that I used not to like these polymer frame guns but the more I shoot and handled the XD the more I like it and want one. Just feels good, all the configurations that I've handled so far.
"Resistance is Futile" :twisted:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked at that used service XD and it was the first that I had seen with white writing on it. All the engraved writing was white, even the stamping on top of the slide. It was really clean and didn't appear to have been shot much. I was wondering if this is an early version or something. Don't know that I cared for the bright white writing on it. I'll hold off for the XDm compact which is what I'm pretty sure I want. We did fire it and the Sub-compact that I'm holding for a friend that owes me some money and the sub did let off a good flash in the dark vs the service, both .40 and firing the same rounds, just a tid bit to throw out that I noticed.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I looked at that used service XD and it was the first that I had seen with white writing on it. All the engraved writing was white, even the stamping on top of the slide. It was really clean and didn't appear to have been shot much. I was wondering if this is an early version or something. .
This is a custom job that said person did themselves. The white in the engraving is either crayola crayon or white testors model paint. It is easily removed to restore it to it's original condition.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, I just looked it up and read about the crayola custom job. That was my first thought when seeing it but it was so cleanly done that I thought it came from the factory that way. I just looked one up that was done it red and it looked pretty sweet. Looks like much range time will melt the crayon though lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You'd be surprised at how long the crayon will remain, even after cleaning!

I carry a XD40sc daily, but I have also CCW'd my XD45 Tactical with a good holster and cover shirt.

I really like the original XD grip over the "M" grip. I've had six different XD's including one XDM9 4.5 that I sold after 200rds. This is how I feel about the models they offer;

5" Tactical guns are great for HD, duty, and range work.
4" Service models are a trade off. They'll do in any role, but not excel in any.(excluding the XD45c Service, it's sweet!)
3" Sub-Compact are designed for CCW and SD, and will do as a BUG.

I have settled now on two models, the XD45T and the XD40sc. They fit my needs.

Every XD pistol I've owned or shot has been 100% reliable. And I have fired many thousands of rounds total thru at least 10 different XD guns. I have never personally seen a stoppage on a XD.

·
Registered
324 Posts
snip
Every XD pistol I've owned or shot has been 100% reliable. And I have fired many thousands of rounds total thru at least 10 different XD guns. I have never personally seen a stoppage on a XD.
A good pistol, to be sure. I have seen a stoppage on an XD, and my own XDm .45 won't feed wadcutter lead - it catches on the barrel hood.

Generally these seem as unpicky as guns get, but not as unpicky as a Glock or even a H&K/SIG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts