Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Browning Hi-Power that I have owned for about 20 years. I figured it was time to replace it and the XD is one of the pistols that I am considering. I have heard mostly good about this weapon, but do have a couple of concerns.

I have seen a lot about the finish being sub-par and a lot of rust.

I am also concerned about the internal striker vs. an external hammer. I admit that this is also one of the things that attract me to this pistol, but not having any experience with a pistol of this design I am concerned about reliability and durability. Basically it is something new and I am just not sure about it.

I was hoping that somebody, or several somebodies, who has experience with the XD could help me out here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do a little searching on the forum and you'll find your answers.

From my experience, I couldn't be happier with my XD. It's accurate and I haven't experienced any of the problems with rust.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You've come to the right place. But I'm not worthy to comment compared to some here that know far more about the XD than I. I don't own one yet, but hope to in the future.

From what I've read on this site and others, the finish problem varies. I think the overwhelming majority have no issues. I think that is just the nature of people to scream the loudest when there are problems. But the satisfied customers just keep shooting and smiling. Even so, the great work of the after market vendors in refinishing more than outweigh the black eye that the factory finish is.

Bottom line, I hope you get your hands on an XD and shoot it.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
take a look at http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=23678&highlight= for rust issues.

If you have kept a gun for 20 years, then you must have maintained it, right. You Take care of your stuff right? Could you possibly get a pistol with a bad finnish, yip. You have a choice if you do, live with it, have a finnish of your choice put on it or have SA refinnish it. I have a 1991 Dodge van, it has some surface rust on it, it is very dependable. Do I get rid of it cuz of some rust, no. Check out the forum here, many posts on guys getting their guns refinnished, some from need, some from desire to get it refinnished.

Look at the operation of the pistol, some of the guys here have shot the thing upwards of 50k rounds. Thats a lot. The gun is used by some European countrys as their issue army weapon. That says something as far as durability, no?

·
Registered
157 Posts
well i have experienced rust problems but i still wouldnt sell my xd...i had it refinished by SA...i got it back in Feb....its been worn everyday in a holster and is showing major wear...but no rust....dont let the rust issue turn you away....you may be missing out on one of the best pistols out on the market...i can not say enough about them except that i wouldnt even consider getting rid of it!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tec,

Yup, I first got the Hi-Power back in the early 80's and did carry it for a few years, but it has less than 5,000 rounds through it and has been in the safe for probably the past 7 or 8 years with nothing more than an occasional wiping. So it does have some ware on it, but not enough to require anything being replaced.

Believe it or not I have always use WD-40 for cleaning it and then a silicon rag for wiping it. I know that WD-40 may sound like an odd choice for cleaning, but it is something that I picked up in the Army and have used it on everything since. It does a good job of cleaning and I have never had to add any additional oil (I also have a Springfield 1903, a Winchester Model 100 which are both as old as the hills). Never a bit of rust on anything! Lived in Georgia and California, now in Colorado, so I have seen everything from dry to humid environments. Don’t know how good an idea WD-40 will be with a polymer frame though.

I rarely carry now but am looking for something that I can carry if needed. I am also looking for durability and reliability in a package that fits my hand with a natural POA. Based on what I have read the XD sounds like a natural choice once I convince myself that it is right for me.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Rust issues were a problem with Sig for many years, but it didn't detract from an otherwise great gun. Keep this in mind while deciding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Issues with the finish are hit and miss. If you happen to have any problems with it early...SA will refinish it for free under warranty. If a problem occurs after you've had the pistol for awhile, its a cheap fix....anywhere from $60 bucks to $100 bucks. Don't let any finish gremlins keep you from trying out this excellent weapon. Also, believe it or not, WD-40 is a good, cheap way to keep your pistol clean. It drives out moisture and is a decent lube. Im sure there are fans here of the latest and greatest "teflon impregnated, space age co-polymer, $20 dollar a bottle gun lube but in a pinch and with a tight wallet.....taint nuthin wrong with a little WD-40.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Frenchy gave you some of the best advice I've heard. I wouldn't let small problems like a little rust keep me from the pistol I want. However, I wouldn't be in too much hurry to get rid of the Hi-Power. These are being phased out and you may well wish you'd kept it later on. I'd keep it in the safe and buy the XD or whatever you want outright. If the XD is your hearts desire, buy the Bi-tone model, the slide resists rust better than the standard model, I wish the grip safety and controls were a little better finished, tho.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The XD is a great pistol. I haven't had any rust issues but plan to have it refinished at some point, anyway. I think if you get rid of your Hi-Power that you'll regret it! FWIW, I would keep it and buy the XD outright, as well, even if it became a safe queen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the Hi-Power has been a "safe queen" for a while now and I really have no intention of selling it. I was originally was trying to decide whether to put it back in service or go with something new. I decide that for the cost I would go with something new for the additional benefits of being able to use the newer more powerful ammo as well as the ruggedness and reliability provided by this design. The Browning Hi-Power will go back into the safe and I will most likely take it out only occasionally to run a few rounds through it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Unless you are planning on going up a caliber or two (from 9mm to .40S&W or .45GAP), I'm not certain that there are newer more powerful ammo options that a XD will handle that a 1980's vintage Hi-Power can't.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have 3 XDs and 6 Sigs; I really do not see any difference in the durability of finish on my XDs. Then again, I do use my weapons frequently. I did have some issues with several Ruger pistols with rust; but with the Rugers sometimes I'd go a year or two (or one case, 18 years!) without shooting them (yes, I'd clean them occasionally, but with one of the Rugers, I used a long lasting storage type lube and wrapped it it well...surprise after 5 years it was rusting).

On thing, the newer XDs seem to be leaving the factory with trigger pulls around 7 pounds. How's the trigger pull on your Browning?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts