Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon I saw an AK-47 I considered buying. It was a Inter ordnance AK, 7.62x39, with a galil type polymer forend and a SAW looking buttstock. The safety was extremely stiff, the bolt carrier group would sometimes stick in the rearward position when I handcycled it and the barrel wasn't chromed. It did have a G2 trigger group and a polymer mag. it was $600.
I went home and did a search for inter ordnance and didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yesterday afternoon I saw an AK-47 I considered buying. It was a Inter ordnance AK, 7.62x39, with a galil type polymer forend and a SAW looking buttstock. The safety was extremely stiff, the bolt carrier group would sometimes stick in the rearward position when I handcycled it and the barrel wasn't chromed. It did have a G2 trigger group and a polymer mag. it was $600.
I went home and did a search for inter ordnance and didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have any experience with them?
The 'sticking' is part and parcel of any new Kalashnikov. It is the new fire control group. Don't baby the bolt carrier and it won't "stick". After you shoot it, it won't 'stick' any more.

Chrome lining is very misunderstood.
Military users spec it for barrel longevity under full auto conditions. Chrome actually degrades accuracy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You mean this one?

Here it is including additional pictures.

It looks different than this one:
I.O.INC: AK47-C Rifle, 7.62 x 39 - Polymer
Elk Ridge receiver, mossberg barrel, Tapco Galil handguard, Tapco trigger group, Romanian innards, unnamed stock and unnamed handgrip

We've had a long discussion regarding this rifle :)

IO AK-47c - Maryland Shooters
and
The AK Files Forums - Picked up new AKM at IO in person
and
The AK Files Forums - 100% US AKM's and STG's from IO

I hope this helps. I haven't had time to fire my new toy yet. It's been tough trying to find decent priced ammo too. I refuse to buy the overpriced/price gouging prices for 7.62x39 right now, so I might just wait for the hubbub to die down.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
You mean this one?

Here it is including additional pictures.

It looks different than this one:
I.O.INC: AK47-C Rifle, 7.62 x 39 - Polymer
Elk Ridge receiver, mossberg barrel, Tapco Galil handguard, Tapco trigger group, Romanian innards, unnamed stock and unnamed handgrip

We've had a long discussion regarding this rifle :)

IO AK-47c - Maryland Shooters
and
The AK Files Forums - Picked up new AKM at IO in person
and
The AK Files Forums - 100% US AKM's and STG's from IO

I hope this helps. I haven't had time to fire my new toy yet. It's been tough trying to find decent priced ammo too. I refuse to buy the overpriced/price gouging prices for 7.62x39 right now, so I might just wait for the hubbub to die down.
the butt and pistol grip are from their STG series of Weiger clones...no offense, thats an ugly gun (because of the Galil hg)....and its a GM barrel, not Mossberg...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had emailed IO about the barrel and was told that it was a Mossberg barrel. I'm so new at this, if there's a difference, I probably wouldn't even notice it. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
the butt and pistol grip are from their STG series of Weiger clones...no offense, thats an ugly gun (because of the Galil hg)....and its a GM barrel, not Mossberg...
I like the Galil style HG... each to his own I guess...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have the same rifle as Dizzy, except mine came with Tapco furniture and a different forearm that looks more like a regular AKM foreend.

Fantastic shooter and YES...the sticking bolt goes away, when you run a mag or two through it.

I was also told by the guys at RPG Arms that the barrel was made by Mossberg. There are no marking on it...but God knows, it shoots straight!

My RPG AKM is about as accurate as any of my 4 SKSs...I am totally happy with my RPG AKM....but I might swap the furniture for Ironwood wood some day soon.

If you ask me (an God knows...I looked around!) I think the RPG Arms AKMs are a fantastic rifle for the money Very well put together and great shooting.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
ooh interesting, I had no idea Mossberg did that. I'm off work now, going to do some research from home.

:-D

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Whoever makes the barrels for RPG Arms...they shoot just fine!

- brickboy240

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting. If RPG arms has their own version. Then what exactly is IO doing? Reselling an RPG made rifle? Its different than the one on their website which is a more standard AKM look. $600? Curiously, mine was about $577 OTD here in MD.

I was originally going to get a Saiga and convert it, but due to time constraints, and after seeing this in the store and how well its made, I was sold. He had a Wasr from Century Arms that wasn't in the best of shape. The furniture really needed to be refinished and it just looked plain old while the IOI AKM looked brand spanking new next to it.

I'm glad to hear that it shoots straight :)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yeah, I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the RPG AKMs. After looking locally at 500 dollar Romanians and Century throw-togethers...it was not much more. I paid 550 cash and bought it at RPG Arms shop directly. Got to see how they made their rifles and they have a great shop and their AKs are really built by hand from the ground up.

I am guessing that Inter Ordinance did indeed buy RPG made AKs, because RPG's AKs are almost all built on Elk River receivers. Mine has different furniture...more traditional AK furniture in black plastic but other than that...its a dead ringer for yours.

YES...they shoot great! It scares me how fast I could have gone through my reserves that I used to mothball away for my 4 SKS rifles. Buy all the 7.62x39 you can find, because once you se how fun their rifle is to shoot..you'll be scrounging for ammo!

I had to use my SKS sight adjustment tool and crank down the windage, ubt after that I was on and blasting milk jugs and paint cans from 30-40 yards was VERY easy. I ran 4 boxes of Barnaul fmjs and two boxes of Wolf HPs through the thing and not one problem. Great trigger too...better than any SKS I have ever shot.

You'll love it but I am telling you...buy more ammo now.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Dizzy after doing lots of thinking about my next purchase, and with the big 0 in office, I think Im gonna hit up Dan for one of those IO Aks!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I was also told by IOinc that the newer releases would be done by mossberg also.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I was also told by IOinc that the newer releases would be done by mossberg also. I have one of the older stock that has the hammer forged chrome lined barrel.

FWIW, mine is the STG Weiger. The OEM furniture is its' major downfall in my opinion. I dont' like them.

I bought a strikeforce stock and grip and am much happier with it, but if I ever change the front handguards, I'll have to order a samson K rail for it because of the gas system on mine.

I also like the magwell cuts in it a lot better than WASR's. I have a buddy who has a wasr and his is pretty picky. Mine however gobbles up every mag I feed it. No issues whatsoever with reliability either.

Mine's a keeper.
You should be able to put a common AK handguard on it and change to a standard AK gas tube and cover. Never looked at them that close...if you decide to get rid of the hadnguard/gas tube set up, let me know-I've been trying to bet my hands on one for a while...

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK, I finally went shooting today at the NRA range. Blew through 200 rounds. About 80 Hot Shot and the rest Winchester white box 7.62x39.

All I can say is WOW. It was pretty much dead on at 25 yards. I didn't even have to mess with any front sight adjustment at all.

I had 3 Tapco 30's, 1 Bulgarian 30, 1 Bulgarian 20, and 1 Bulgarian 40. All fed without any problems. I only had one issue with a Hot Shot that didn't clear the ejector completely so I had to pull it open after removing the mag. Other than that, my friends and I blew through 200 some rounds. One of my buddies served in the Bulgarian military and as he put it, slept with his AK-47 for 2 years. He loved the build quality of the IO and will be heading up to Dan's to pick up one soon.

This thing was pretty darn accurate using just the iron sights, I can't imagine how good it will be when adding a Red Dot or Eotech to it. One thing I did notice was that the Galil handguard got very hot as some point. So I set it down and played with my friends Rock River AR-15 for a bit. The recoil wasn't too bad at all either. I heard so many stories about the recoil of the AK-47 and when I finally felt it for the first time, I was mildly surprised.

We'll probably go shooting again in a few weeks...I can't wait. The Ak-47 was such a hit among the 5 of us that went shooting that I think Dan might be getting a few more sales coming soon!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts