Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't call my XD a Glock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I was at the local range last week, happily target shooting when this pistol instructor was passing by and observed what he thought could be an improvement to my shooting grip. He asks if he can handle my gun, so I clear my XD40 and hand it over.

"Oh a Glock! It's a good gun." I said "Er, it's not a Glock. It's a Springfield XD." I don't think he heard me, because he then said, "You know my wife just bought a Glock in .45 a few weeks ago."

Anyways, he proceeded to give me useless advice and left. Sometimes I get tired of the XD seemingly playing second fiddle to the Glocks. (rant) :evil: Especially coming from a pistol instructor, he should know better about Glocks-since his wife owns one.

What are your mistaken identity stories?

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Up till this year at all of the local pistol compititions I kept called a glock shooter. Or even better I would wear a team springfield shirt and got asked why a springfield shirt if you shooting a Glock. Now it seems like more and more xd`s are showing up and now it oh you got an xd too.....Uh no I have been shooting HS`s and XD for 4 yrs now I was ahead of the game.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
spade said:
Don't call my XD a Glock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I was at the local range last week, happily target shooting when this pistol instructor was passing by and observed what he thought could be an improvement to my shooting grip. He asks if he can handle my gun, so I clear my XD40 and hand it over.

"Oh a Glock! It's a good gun." I said "Er, it's not a Glock. It's a Springfield XD." I don't think he heard me, because he then said, "You know my wife just bought a Glock in .45 a few weeks ago."

Anyways, he proceeded to give me useless advice and left. Sometimes I get tired of the XD seemingly playing second fiddle to the Glocks. (rant) :evil: Especially coming from a pistol instructor, he should know better about Glocks-since his wife owns one.

What are your mistaken identity stories?
I know what you mean. Mine has been mistaken for a BLOCK (read Glock) quite often. I just read in "Guns And Weapons For Law Enforcement" that Glock had 80%+ of the market share in handguns at least in the LEO field. But I agree the guy could should have had his ears open. Mmakes you wonder if he was really paying attention to stuff or just lost in his I am an instructor ego trip. I would have told the guy off if he was giving useless advice, then again I have had enough training to get away with it. Was he just an NRA instructor or someone who actualy knew what he was doing?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think he was an NRA instructor. I've seen him around before, but I didn't know he was an instructor.

I suppose if I had a bi-tone XD, or maybe OD green, somebody would think twice before assuming it was a Glock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tell him to get on the stick. tell him you dont shoot a block. no i mean a glock. let him shoot it and see what a real handgun should shoot like. no more Glocks for me..... now its all XD's for me. i do own a 1911 by springfield as well and love that. i just wish the XD's were made in .
45acp instead of the gap crap

·
Registered
401 Posts
I let people shoot my HS and they look at it and still call it a glock. One bloke had a good long look at it and shot several mags through it. He then said it had a long trigger pull for a Glock. I said it wasnt a Glock but a HS. He gave me a strange look and said" Well I'll be buggered, I thought it was a glock! Whats a HS?"
Get use to it it will happen all the time.
mulder

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Get this...

A guy who shoots an XD saw me shooting my Canyon Creek XD w/ the fusion finish on it and asked me how I liked shooting my 1911. Uhhhhhhhh...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was at my local gun shop the other day and began talking to one of the sales guys about the XD. He said "it's kicking Glocks ass" (in sales) and I said "why are you whispering it"?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
kabob983 said:
Dotagious said:
"it's kicking Glocks ass" (in sales)
Sounds more like he was trying to make a sale to you. I highly doubt that XD's outsell Glocks.

maybe not overall, but in the recent year i bet its comming close.

last tuesday i shot with Greg Garrett (owner of Comp Tac). he has a "drill night" every tuesday focused on defensive shooting. out of the 20 people there 5 were shooting XDs and around 5 were shooting glocks (4-6) the rest were 1911s and various other guns.

every wednesday i shoot IDPA with WHIDPA (west houston idpa). i was the first XD on the scene. i got a lot of friendly grief, but now there are 3 others and we have earned our respect.

then, once a month we have our Texas XD Practical Shooters Association meet. we have over 30 members (i think), and last meet we had 20 members show up... all shooting XDs.

the XD is on the rise, and it will be serious competition.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dotagious wrote:

Sounds more like he was trying to make a sale to you. I highly doubt that XD's outsell Glocks.
I don't know about his shop, but I can tell you that our local shop is selling WAY more XDs than Glocks. There is a G26 in there that people come in and look at. They always seem to buy the 3"XD sitting next to it instead though. Something about a weapon with superior design, superior ergonomics and better price. They can't seem to keep the XDs on the shelf, they keep being bought!

·
Registered
778 Posts
kabob983 said:
Dotagious said:
I don't think that was his intentions considering he knows I own three of them. In his store (and many others) the XD's do outsell Glocks... and he doesn't have a reason to lie, to me at least. As far as overall sales nation/worldwide... I have no idea what the numbers are, nor do you. But in his store, I'm sure he does knows better than us.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hrm, I am a bit suprised. It seems like Glock has such a large fanbase that it'd be tough to outsell them. Around here it seems that Glock is still the hot item of the month. I went to an IDPA match a few weeks ago and out of 22 people probably 13 had Glocks, 7 had 1911's, one had a revolver, and one had a Sig P226. It was a sea of tactical tupperware. Not much variety to my dissappointment :(

I do hope the XD keeps doing well as I do like the pistol and there are just too many durn Glocks out there already!

·
Registered
298 Posts
The guys at my local shop are XD friendly too. They were pretty nuetural when I was browsing but once I started asking questions about the XD their eyes lit-up and couldn't say enough good things about it. 1 of them said they sold all of thier personal Glocks and re-armed in XD. The shooting instructor there even wears an XD polo shirt! One guy there has a couple XDs but still carries his SIG. They told me a story about the first XD they got in the shop. One guy went into the range to test fire it and came out with a smile telling the other guy "You have to go shoot this thing"....

maybe they were trying to make a sale, but they sure seemed genuine!

·
Registered
477 Posts
The range I go to doesn't keep very many guns in stock, but they keep more XDs on display than any other gun. Usually three or four XDs, think they usually have one Glock laying around. First time I went in with my XD they didn't say anything but good things about XDs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts