Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting TFOs on my Glock was easy. There are so many Glocks that a local shop had the Glock-specific sight pusher and installed them for me in minutes.

But they don't have tools for the XD line. I've also tried pushing the rear sight at little on the XD and it just doesn't budge. At least not with the amount of force I was willing to hit it with.

Since I own a couple of XDs so I might even invest in the tools but haven't seen them, even on Brownells.

So do you send your gun and TFO sights back to the factory for installation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
SA turn time is too long. You can send them to Canyon Creek, or AJAMES. Any local gunsmith should be able to put the sights in for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,970 Posts
If you have a vise and some basic tools, you can do it yourself.

1. Place your slide in a vise mounted on a solid surface. Dont' forget to protect your slide with something so you don't scratch it.

2. Place some lubricant on the sight notch.

3. Take a 1/4" punch (brass, nut steel will work) and place it on the sight as low as possible, but NOT on the dovetail itself

4. Whack with a good amount of force, from right to left. It may take awhile, XD sights are stubborn. After each hit, look at the placement of the punch, to see if it moved.

5. If they don't budge, place slide in freezer for 1 hour and repeat process.

This seems to work for most. As mentioned by another, any local gunsmith should be able to swap them for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
slide in the freezer? that would make it contract?

I figure you'd need to freeze the sight, and heat the slide.

at least thats how I install sleeves in cyl's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,970 Posts
JesterXD40 said:
slide in the freezer? that would make it contract?

I figure you'd need to freeze the sight, and heat the slide.

at least thats how I install sleeves in cyl's
You are trying to apply logic. I know, it sounds nuts, but it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
You can take Old Schools word....it worked on mine but you really need to hammer the h... out of it some times..

good luck

Rikoshey :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Old School said:
If you have a vise and some basic tools, you can do it yourself.

4. Whack with a good amount of force, from right to left. It may take awhile, XD sights are stubborn. After each hit, look at the placement of the punch, to see if it moved.
Old School, when you say Right to Left... From which angle? IE- If I am holding the pistol, as if to shoot it, what direction should one knock the sights out?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RIKOSHEY said:
You can take Old Schools word....it worked on mine but you really need to hammer the h... out of it some times..

good luck

Rikoshey :evil:
Its that hammering the h... out of it that bothers me. Think I will seek professional help!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
MinkFeet said:
RIKOSHEY said:
You can take Old Schools word....it worked on mine but you really need to hammer the h... out of it some times..

good luck

Rikoshey :evil:
Its that hammering the h... out of it that bothers me. Think I will seek professional help!
Many of us here should!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,970 Posts
If you have a local gunsmith, let him do it. If you want to try it, and you can do it yourself with some patience, hammer right to left, as if you are behind the rear sights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Freezing the slide will make the sight and dovetail shrink away from each other.

I have bent a couple of brass drift punches trying to remove the XD sights. Even when frozen, usually I can't get it to move with anything less than the biggest steel punch that will fit in the dovetail and a big ass hammer.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top