Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<rant>

First off, if you live in Southern California stay the f--- away from R&R Guns in Palm Springs. They are overpriced and apparently incapable of installing sights on a handgun. I have a set of TruGlo TFO sights for my XD. The original sights were already removed by Springfield when I sent in my slide for refinishing. They did a great job btw. I should have just sent the new sights along with the slide and had SA done it for me but I didnt. I dont know wtf I was thinking. Anyway, R&R tells me I have the wrong sights; the sights I have are for a Sig. Yes, I know, those are the right sights but he insisted. Apparantly the last time they tried installing Sig sights on an XD they had to file off some metal from the rear sight dovetail. Too much work, not worth the $35. Well, if it were an easy job it wouldnt be worth $35 for labor and I would have done it myself. It really peeves me that I bought this gun from these people and they wont even try. Fine, I take my business elsewhere.

</vent>

There is another gunsmith in my area but I have to wait till Thursday. Anyone know how to install these sights if I want to do it myself. I have access to a bench vise..what other tools will I need? Which direction do they go in? Tips for making it easier?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The closest competent gunsmith to you that I know is Hugo at Duncans Guns in San Marcos, CA. It's west of the I-15 just off Hwy 78. They're in the 760 area code if you want to give them a call.

He was able to push on/off all the sights I've had on my XD's in the last year without screwing up the dovetail or finish. The other good thing is, he did while I waited!

Good Luck and thanks for the heads up about R&R Guns, my uncle lives in Bermuda Dunes and has mentioned them in the past, but after what you wrote, I won't even bother to stop by.

If you're looking from back to front of the pistol, they come off to the left. You'll need brass punches and a mallot, but!, you stand a good chance of damaging your finish or sights, I'd wait and let a competent smith do it for you. My 02c worth

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I did the exact same thing you did, I mean I sent my slide to SA for refinishing and ask them to leave the sights out as I was going to replace them with the exact same TFO's that you have (Got them from AJames) anyway you can install these yourself with very little effort.
First off never file anything on the slide itself, you file the sights
you start off by dryfitting them to see how far they will go in, mine went in very little, I then filed alittle off the bottom and off of each angle of the sight
When they go in about 3/4 to center you good,(they go in opposite ejection port) you then apply several drops of blue loctite to the dovetail (Be liberal) and then tap the sight into place with a punch and small hammer.
Do same with other and you are good, I filed my rear alittle more to give me more play so I could make windage adjustments easier and it does have the lockscrew after 24hrs you good to go and let me say mine have not moved

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just spent 15 dollars on tools and ended up doing it myself. Thanks for the help guys. I think I annoyed the people living under me with all that pounding though. :twisted:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought some Ameriglo Speed ring tritiums for my XD. Mine came with a punch and some pretty good instructions (not unlike a lot of what I heard here in this thread) so I think I'll be giving it a go at installing them myself also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts