Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased a xd-40 subcompact with the fixed sights. I eventually would like to put some trijicon night sights on it and I read that it is harder to put on nights sights on the springfield than the glocks.

Would a gunsmith be able to install the night sites sufficiently? i.e. without damaging the finish of the gun?

Which night sights do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
run a search, there are tons of info on this

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the HS/XD funhouse. I have factory night sights on one of my XDs that I got through CDNN http://www.cdnninvestments.com/spxdnisisegr.html , and Meprolights on one of my 1911s. Both glow well and really not a noticeable difference. The factory ones on the XD have white outlines that some folks like to maintain the three dot appearance for daytime.
AJames has an assortment in his web store, and I beleive he will install if you buy from him and send your slide http://www.xd-hs2000.com .
Old School (Scott) also sells them in his webstore http://www.pistol-gear.com/products.php?cat=8 .
If you don't have the tools, I recommend (from costly experience) you have them installed.
Happy shooting :!:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good luck getting the factory sights out. I took my XD40 to two gunsmiths and neither one could get the front sight out. :x

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I'm almost afraid to ask this....I know night sights are a very popular option and even are standard equipment on many guns.

But exactly what purpose do they serve?

Thanks.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Delija said:
I'm almost afraid to ask this....I know night sights are a very popular option and even are standard equipment on many guns.

Thanks.

Peace,
D.
For shooting in low light or no light. I like them on my self defense pistol. :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just purchase them from ajames. His prices are fair and his install was top notch. His shipping is fair as well too.

I purchased the Mepolight tritium sights from him. I could not be happier.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
kyarcher said:
Delija said:

Thanks.

Peace,
D.
For shooting in low light or no light. I like them on my self defense pistol. :)
In no light, how do you see a target?

For self defense I don't think I would use sights at all. I guess that's where my confusion comes in. :? :?

Peace,
D.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Delija said:
kyarcher said:
Delija said:

For self defense I don't think I would use sights at all. I guess that's where my confusion comes in. :? :?

Peace,
D.

Peace,
D.

Well I also have a tactical M3X light on my XD. Hope I never have to use it in self defense but the light and night sights are there if I need them :)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
kyarcher said:
Delija said:
kyarcher said:
Delija said:

Well I also have a tactical M3X light on my XD. Hope I never have to use it in self defense but the light and night sights are there if I need them :)
I can understand that. The combination of the two (sights and lights). But many of the guns that come standard with night sights don't have a rail for a light.

I guess I'm just having a tough time imagining scenarios where I'd need to shoot in the dark.

Even in a home invasion, even carrying a flashlight, even clearing my house, I can't imagine shining a light on a bad guy and taking the time to line him up in my sights. If I have to pull the trigger, won't it be with a great sense of immediacy?

I think the night sights are very cool. I have a red dot sight on my target pistol, which I guess is the ultimate night sight, but not practical for a carry weapon.

I see no downside to night sights, and I keep thinking maybe I should get them. But I seem to end up in my little conversations with myself asking "why?". And I can't seem to think of a good answer (which sort of pisses me off, 'cause I love gadgets).

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
In low light, a white light (flashlight) is used to identify a target, night sights are used to shoot it. It is not necessary to have a rail on a pistol to use a white light, there are a varity of ways to use a flashlight without having to have it on a rail. Harries technique, Chapman technique, FBI technique, and more.

The night sights allow you to "find" your sights and align them in situations where you would not be able to see regular black sights, or even white dots. Unless you are in a dark room with no windows or in a coal mine, there is almost always enough ambient light to at least see an image of your target, especially if it's moving. But, there is not enough light to see your sights, especially if the background is dark, as are your sights. This situation can be set up in you home fairly easily. (BTW, in this sort of situation, you truly are shooting "center of mass" rather than shooting a target "point"or precise target center.)

In complete dark, you will need a white light to both identify and shoot the target. No, done correctly, a white light is not necessarily a bullet magnet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts