Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the PPR spring kit today and although it wasn't as hard as I was led to believe it was a challenge. For one thing of course there are no instructions and the only 2 videos I found out there were of some use but they both had faults. One of them the guy seemed to go too fast and did not show some of the parts he was working with, the other one the guy was very easily distracted and would go off screen a lot to do things plus it needed an x-ray machine to see through his fingers.

So before I started I decided to take pics of every thing I was working on, both before and after shots. It worked like a charm when reassembling the parts. Probably the worst thing was the two-step disconnector spring pin which kept falling out and I had lost it for over an hour once.

Anyway, got it all back together and it seems to have a lighter pull now but I'll find out how it is when I get to the range which at this moment is temporarily closed.

If you've never done a complete take down I would strongly suggest either taking pics or even a video of everything you do so you can go back and watch it later, it helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree, the videos are not the best, my main issue was the position of the little foot on the grip safety until I found it on the forum.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Mine slid in easily. If you're moderately competent with small tools and small parts, you should have no trouble. Take pictures and make notes. Watch how things come apart - they go back together the same way. Work slowly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
An alternative is to just switch out the factory trigger spring for a PRP reduced power trigger spring. I think with shipping it came out to less than $10. My trigger pull in my XD-9 Service went from 6# down to 5#, and I'm quite pleased with it. At that time, I thought the only alternative or next step up would've been the expensive kits. But I'm happy with what I got.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had the same problem as gunsadict, but other than that, the installation was not bad. James's videos are the best, especially the one on the post-recall XDs grip safety spring installation. Tickled with the gun post-install. The pistol had no function problems before or after, and my groups definitely improved.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well worth the money!

·
Registered
334 Posts
It would be better if posters would be more specific with exactly what they purchased, what the results were with the purchase, and cost. I don't like 'guessing games' much.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ummm there's only one PRP XDS spring kit. It's kind of in the title. Not so much a guessing game.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There are numerous choices on PRP website and I did not see a reference to it being an XDs kit in the first post. I do now note we are in a XDs discussion forum and I was not aware of that. Another guessing game due to lack of specifics in that first post.

NinjawithaGun-

PRP XDS TRIGGER SPRING KIT, Item #: PRP-S007, price $18.95 on PRP website.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Lol gotcha

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry about that. I assumed that since it was posted in the XD-S discussion everyone would have known what I was referring to.

Note to self: Don't assume anything :lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just picked thread up from the New Posts button- really did not give any thought to it as focus was on the spring kit.

Sorry.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I just wanted to make sure that that was the price and was not missing anything else. I read somewhere else about some more expensive spring kits.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually paid $25.65 total for mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought the videos were complete and very helpfully. My post recall trigger was not too bad but I noticed during aimed dry firing the gun would move slightly so I decided to try the prp spring kit. For minimal cost it seemed like a no brainer. I am very happy with the results,definitely an improvement. If you are able to compare it side by side with a factory XDs you will easily feel the difference. I have also had zero ftf. Hope your experience is as good as mine!

·
Registered
798 Posts
The PRP kit gave my XDS an improved trigger pull that felt like the factory pull before the recall. The striker spring is the most significant part in the entire kit.

My results were..

Factory pull weight: 7.9#

PRP kit with factory striker spring: 7.4#

Entire PRP kit: 6#

I'm still not convinced I won't get any light strikes so I've been shooting it with the PRP kit as much as possible. Only a few hundred rounds since I installed the kit, but I'll put in the factory striker spring back in if I even get one light strike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts