Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure where to put this...it's a reloading component question, but is for an AR...:confused:...posted it over in the Ammo Can but I am not sure...

Mod - Remove whichever one is in the wrong spot if you need to...

Ok, my question is this:
Has anyone used these dies or heard about them? I am using the Lee 3 die set with the factory crimp die right now and am not real pleased with them at this point. Looking for an upgrade and think this may be it...what do you think?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
You don't need small base dies. They'll overwork your brass. Nothing wrong with the Lee dies; however, I don't crimp .223 rounds for ARs. Get a Wilson case gage for setting up the sizing die.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't need small base dies. They'll overwork your brass. Nothing wrong with the Lee dies; however, I don't crimp .223 rounds for ARs. Get a Wilson case gage for setting up the sizing die.
Mercmar, I got the Wilson Case Gage as you recomended from my other post, made a noticable difference, thanks! The reason I am looking for a different set of dies is that out of 300 once fired .223 LC brass I have had 3 decapping pins break. This seems to be a bit excessive as the dies are designed so that if the pin is overstressed it simply pushes out the top of the die. I do not have the pin retainer nut on the top of the die over tight so the pin should be able to slide out if it needs to. My grandpa has used RCBS for as long as I can remember, but I personally have always like Lee products. I just don't have the time or patience for the same problems over and over again...

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Mercmar, I got the Wilson Case Gage as you recomended from my other post, made a noticable difference, thanks! The reason I am looking for a different set of dies is that out of 300 once fired .223 LC brass I have had 3 decapping pins break. This seems to be a bit excessive as the dies are designed so that if the pin is overstressed it simply pushes out the top of the die. I do not have the pin retainer nut on the top of the die over tight so the pin should be able to slide out if it needs to. My grandpa has used RCBS for as long as I can remember, but I personally have always like Lee products. I just don't have the time or patience for the same problems over and over again...
I've had much better luck with Lee dies, as far as the decapping pins' breaking, compared to RCBS. RCBS pins are pretty flimsy, but are replaceable.

I use LC brass, but don't ever break decapping pins.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
what press are you using? Usually the pins break from being slightly off center, they will bend just a little bit and then break in that spot.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what press are you using? Usually the pins break from being slightly off center, they will bend just a little bit and then break in that spot.
I am using the Lee Breach Lock Challenger press. Nice little press and works good. Wish that I had went with a progressive tho...I have A LOT of reloading to do and will take me months with this press!! lol I picked up a the RCBS FL Die Set yesterday and swapped out my Lee with the RCBS...I like the RCBS much better so far. I have only used it for the resizing/depriming part but have done a little over 500 rounds with it so far and working great! Will find out how I like the bullet seating die that came with the set probably tomorrow when I start loading some of these for testing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I am using the Lee Breach Lock Challenger press. Nice little press and works good. Wish that I had went with a progressive tho...I have A LOT of reloading to do and will take me months with this press!! lol I picked up a the RCBS FL Die Set yesterday and swapped out my Lee with the RCBS...I like the RCBS much better so far. I have only used it for the resizing/depriming part but have done a little over 500 rounds with it so far and working great! Will find out how I like the bullet seating die that came with the set probably tomorrow when I start loading some of these for testing.
Pick up a lee classic turret press for about $100.00 it will make much better time and is a great little press.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pick up a lee classic turret press for about $100.00 it will make much better time and is a great little press.
Thanks for the input! I need something that makes this go a little faster! LOL try loading 1100 rounds on a single stage press is going to take some time...to say the least, but it's what I have for the time being so I just keep plugging away at it a little at a time every night...not in a big hurry just want to get it done before winter gets here...:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts