Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used these dies? Thinking about picking a set up for my .223/5.56 and looking for input from anyone that has experience with them. Currently I am using the Lee 3 die set with the factory crimp die in it. I don't like the factory crimp die, and have a hell of a time keeping my decaping/sizing die set...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I also responded to the other post. I use Lee dies, except for the sizing die, when loading for ARs, I use the RCBS X die. You don't need small base dies. Get a Wilson case gage for setting up the sizing die.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Lee dies are ok, but I prefer just about any other brand. You don't need a crimp die to make reliable, accurate ammo for an AR, & all seating dies come w/ a crimp ring built in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone used these dies? Thinking about picking a set up for my .223/5.56 and looking for input from anyone that has experience with them. Currently I am using the Lee 3 die set with the factory crimp die in it. I don't like the factory crimp die, and have a hell of a time keeping my decaping/sizing die set...

Thanks guys!

Most of my dies are Lee .

I do use a SB die , first time around on range brass .

I never used to crimp .223 , but I have come up with an AR that sometimes wants to shove the bullet back into the brass . I started crimping with the FCD .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lee dies are ok, but I prefer just about any other brand. You don't need a crimp die to make reliable, accurate ammo for an AR, & all seating dies come w/ a crimp ring built in.
Hey fredj338, I read somewhere that crimp is required on all semi autos to prevent bullet setback? If I can get away from the crimping that would be all too cool! Thanks for the input here fredj338!! :)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Hey fredj338, I read somewhere that crimp is required on all semi autos to prevent bullet setback? If I can get away from the crimping that would be all too cool! Thanks for the input here fredj338!! :)
Well it's recommended, but not required. I have been loading for the M1/M1A for years w/o crimping. Most non milspec bullets don't even have a crimp groove. Again, all seating dies come w/ a crimp ring, so you can have it either way.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Again, all seating dies come w/ a crimp ring, so you can have it either way.
None of my seating dies come with any type of crimp ring...
Redding comp seaters and Forster micrometers. I'd have to use my Lee FCD or my separate Dillon taper crimp die.

I don't crimp non-cannelured bullets for an AR-15 but proper neck tension is critical. Much more is needed than for a bolt gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.