Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give a quick range report for my first shooting experience with my new XDm .45acp. Here she is in all her SA glory with the promo extras I got from UPS yesterday...

So, as expected...I #@$%^*& LOVE this gun!!! It's as accurate as can be...far more accurate than I am at the moment. This is the first .45acp semi-auto I have ever shot, and I am amazed that it has such light recoil (than I expected from a .45acp anyway) compared to my PX4 9mm. I have shot .45 Colt revolvers before. I knew that the semi-auto would feel lighter in comparison, but I was really surprised at how easy the .45acp was to shoot in comparison to my 9mm Beretta. The transition in calibers was very easy to make. This gun handles shots beautifully. It's amazingly easy to get back on target in double taps and rapid fire defensive drills. Here is a pic of my first target for the gun:

As time wore on, I got to feeling cocky and went for a magazine of head shots in two round bursts:

I'm used to shooting POI, so sighting wasn't really an issue for me, but I found that I was, for lack of a better term, overthinking my aim. Once I relaxed, stopped thinking so much and allowed my position, sights and grip to flow naturally, the gun started wearing out the bullseyes on the targets. This is the last target I shot for the day (disregard the target that mine is stapled over. I just stapled my target over someone else's that was left on the backer.):

I put one magazine through going for the center bullseye and the last magazine through going for the upper right bullseye. All of my shots for the day were varied between ten and fifteen yards. I'm still shooting slightly low and to the left, as the pics illustrate, but I know that it's all in my grip and follow through. I may try the other backstraps. I haven't tried them yet. I felt as though my finger was resting too far over the trigger. I was almost pulling the trigger with my second finger joint than with the pad of the first. I know I was hooking the trigger. I put 200 rounds through the gun today without a single issue, and I can already tell that it's breaking in nicely. The slide action and trigger got smoother as I shot the gun.

I am so happy right now...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not bad not bad at all. I'm glad to see you like it. It's nice to hear it has light recoil. I just got an XDM45 myself and wondered about recoil. Only shot a 9mm before. Don't want to jack your thread, keep us posted on your range trips.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the new pistol and welcome to the XDm .45 ACP club! I love mine. ;)
Thanks! My XDm is going to be a definite keeper...:D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not bad not bad at all. I'm glad to see you like it. It's nice to hear it has light recoil. I just got an XDM45 myself and wondered about recoil. Only shot a 9mm before. Don't want to jack your thread, keep us posted on your range trips.
Thanks! I know I'm FAR from a professional or anything. I am really trying to get better on my shooting technique.....but for this trip to be the first time at the range with an XDm or a .45acp for that matter, I was just completely blown away at how the XDm seemed to feel at home when I pointed it downrange. It was like an extension of my hands as I shot it. The closest thing I can compare it to is the feeling you get when you are bowling and everything just feels right with a perfect throw...As soon as you let the ball go, you know that it's going to be a strike...Almost every time I raised the gun and pulled the trigger, I knew everything was perfectly aligned to the target. It just felt right...natural.

I do hope you don't misunderstand. The .45acp definitely has more of a kick than the 9mm, but it is COMPLETELY manageable. It was smooth for me and wasn't snappy at all. Since I had no previous experience with .45acp rounds whatsoever, I have to admit that I was a little worried about how easy it would be to reacquire the target on follow-up shots. I mean..the bullets are freaking huge by comparison to 9mm or .380 rounds, so I just wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I just figured I would give the .45acp a chance and form my own opinions on the 9mm v. .45acp and striker v. DA/SA debates. I had yet to hear anything really negative about SA or the XD/XDm lines, so I bit. I'm glad I decided to jump off and get the XDm. I was completely pleased with my XDm and my .45acp shooting experiences. I can tell that my XDm is definitely going to become a favorite and long-term keeper of mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts