Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may break some hearts and hurt some feelers of the CB fans on here with my thoughts on the Crossbreed so far, but here we go.

SuperTuck Deluxe for Springfield XD9sc horsehide / no combat cut / standard clips

Got Mine in with the mail this morning. 6wks +3days. So far not very impressed. :( I'm pretty sure it's just needing broken in though. The horsehide is very stiff and alot of the excess leather/horsehide pinches (note i did not get combat cut so there is more excess than with combat cut).

I'm guessing the pinching will go away after I wear it a few days and it softens up. If not, I can always cut away some of the excess. Many have shared the experience on this forum where theirs was way super comfortable right out of the packaging but that is not the case with mine, though the leather may be softer from the beginning than horsehide.

We'll see how impressed I am once it's broken in but so far I'm not. Here are my main complaints:

- For the price and timeline they could have at least applied one application of conditioner to the horsehide before shipping to help with the stiffness.

- I did have to drill another set of holes because my xdsc rode higher than I liked and I wanted it to sit all the way to the edge of the grip.

- 3 days late may not seem like a lot, however, when given such an already extended delivery timeframe for such a simple piece of equipment, they should be able to get it here on time. As a business owner, I can't imagine giving one of my clients an already ridiculously long time frame for a job and still not coming through on time as promised.

Hopefully once it's broken in, that all will not matter, but with such a price tag and long delivery time + not making that time frame.... it should have blown me away right out of the package.

I will update in a few days and as needed until I've given this thing a fair chance to break in and win me over.

·
Registered
178 Posts
it will win you over. it gets very comfy and they say ahead of time about the time tables and delays.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Just about anything that's made out of leather gets better with time.

My CBST isn't my favorite holster - but it is among my favorites, and yes, it gets better with wear.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Once you break it in you'll like it more. Mine started very stiff and had to break it in. But now wear it often. Don't givenp on it. There is a reason that so many people wear them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
i just got the galco king-tuk, its a close compedator but has better quality hardware and better leather imo, i also like the sewn seam around the boarder of the leather backing piece. at a total cost of $45.00 plus a few bucks shipping i got it in only a few days from optics planet. i have a crossbreed also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea crossbreed is over priced. Kolster holster is built better and only cost $50.00 delivered to your door, and is guerteed for life even if you modified it.Very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Yea crossbreed is over priced. Kolster holster is built better and only cost $50.00 delivered to your door, and is guerteed for life even if you modified it.Very comfortable.
I have owned both and disagree 200% kholster was garbage..

·
Banned
744 Posts
Hey seabee; don't take offense to this but being new here with 7 posts and 2 of them are against crossbreed and for kolster. Do you have business ties with kolster or something? Ill Google kolster and look before I spend any money though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just think Seabee bought something and wants to put in a good word for it.

And I agree, I'd be ticked to wait 6 1/2 weeks for something that happy customers boasted would be the best thing ever and comfortable out of the box, but received something that just came off a mold. Especially if it was expensive.

The CB fans are saying that it's the most comfortable holster once it's broke in well. Well most leather holsters soften up and are comfy. Personally I'd spend less so that if it got soaked, it would be a huge loss if it wouldn't break back in.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I may break some hearts and hurt some feelers of the CB fans on here with my thoughts on the Crossbreed so far, but here we go.

SuperTuck Deluxe for Springfield XD9sc horsehide / no combat cut / standard clips

Got Mine in with the mail this morning. 6wks +3days. So far not very impressed. :( I'm pretty sure it's just needing broken in though. The horsehide is very stiff and alot of the excess leather/horsehide pinches (note i did not get combat cut so there is more excess than with combat cut).

Where as how does it pinch? I've not really heard that one before, is it pinching on the draw, or just as you are wearing it? What position on your waist are you wearing it. Can you show some pics?

I'm guessing the pinching will go away after I wear it a few days and it softens up. If not, I can always cut away some of the excess. Many have shared the experience on this forum where theirs was way super comfortable right out of the packaging but that is not the case with mine, though the leather may be softer from the beginning than horsehide.

Yes, most folks are very impressed right out of the box, of course you do have the 2 week try it free guarantee. If it does not work out, send it back and we'll refund your money less shipping and handling.

We'll see how impressed I am once it's broken in but so far I'm not. Here are my main complaints:

- For the price and timeline they could have at least applied one application of conditioner to the horsehide before shipping to help with the stiffness.

UM, we DO apply a VERY generous treatment of neetsfoot oil to all of our horsehide holsters in the making process. It's one of the first things we do. The fact is that horse hide is STIFF and takes some breaking in and perhaps an additional treatment or two if you want it really flexible. In my experience and that of most customers, folks prefer it a bit more to the firm side than the really flexible side.

- I did have to drill another set of holes because my xdsc rode higher than I liked and I wanted it to sit all the way to the edge of the grip.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "edge of the grip". IN relation to what? Your belt-line I assume? Again, how about a pic?
And again, the vast majority of our customers find that we offer plenty of adjustability, right out of the box.

- 3 days late may not seem like a lot, however, when given such an already extended delivery timeframe for such a simple piece of equipment, they should be able to get it here on time. As a business owner, I can't imagine giving one of my clients an already ridiculously long time frame for a job and still not coming through on time as promised.

With respect, we did come through as promised as far as I'm concerned. 3 weeks and 3 days is well within the factor of error for shipping times. We also are very very clear that we makes these by hand, one at a time and are swamped with orders. We are straight up front that its 4-6 weeks. If you want a delivery date down to the exact day, I am sorry but it's simply not something we can forcast that closely.

We are actually adding a second shift to increase production capacity yet again. We simply keep getting more and more and more orders, but we do understand that w wait times can be frustrating are are working diligently to get them back down to 2-3 weeks max.

Hopefully once it's broken in, that all will not matter, but with such a price tag and long delivery time + not making that time frame.... it should have blown me away right out of the package.

Again, most folks love them, but it's impossible to make a product that satisfies 100% of folks 100% of the time, thats why we have the 2 week trial. Also I'm sure as a business owner you know some folks are harder to satisfy than others, but we do our best with each one. :D

I will update in a few days and as needed until I've given this thing a fair chance to break in and win me over.
Sounds good, thats all we ask. I do hope you answer the questions I posed as tat may make it easier to help you find that sweet spot we all have and that will make a big difference I would imagine.

Peace

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

UM, we DO apply a VERY generous treatment of neetsfoot oil to all of our horsehide holsters in the making process. It's one of the first things we do. The fact is that horse hide is STIFF and takes some breaking in and perhaps an additional treatment or two if you want it really flexible. In my experience and that of most customers, folks prefer it a bit more to the firm side than the really flexible side.

Maybe you do when you first cut the pieces or something. Just couldn't tell so it must have been long enough prior to shipping for it to have completely soaked in and dried back out or something.

With respect, we did come through as promised as far as I'm concerned. 3 weeks and 3 days is well within the factor of error for shipping times. We also are very very clear that we makes these by hand, one at a time and are swamped with orders. We are straight up front that its 4-6 weeks. If you want a delivery date down to the exact day, I am sorry but it's simply not something we can forcast that closely.

We are actually adding a second shift to increase production capacity yet again. We simply keep getting more and more and more orders, but we do understand that w wait times can be frustrating are are working diligently to get them back down to 2-3 weeks max.

Glad to see the effort to bring production time down. However, with all do respect, the order confirmation email said I should have it in 4-6 weeks, that's a two week window. So, I didn't ask for an exact time and date, just for you to hit the generous 2wk window I agreed to when ordering. Plus the email said they ship late week five or early week six so we should have it by the six wk mark. At mid week six I sent an email as directed by your confirmation email and was told it wouldn't ship until at that 6 week mark then putting it in my hands late.

If it was stated as a 3-5 day shipping and I got it in 8 days, no prob but not making a wide 2week window is crazy. If I ordered a pizza from the place guaranteeing 30 min delivery and it shows in 35 min no prob but if they say it will be 2-4 hours and it shows up at 4 hours and 5min I'm starving and grumpy about it. It doesn't matter how long the shipping time, you should under promise and over deliver. If it should really be 5-7 weeks, then tell me that at order but don't say 4-6 and get it here in 6 1/2.

You're right, the other stuff is better explained with pics. I'll take some pics tomorrow and explain better

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
I wish I had a business where the biggest bitch is that it took 3 days longer than what someone thought...

Now let me tell you why Mark has such a following around these parts.

Besides a great product Mark is a Patriot!

When Marine Cpl J. Porto was KIA and left behind his 23 yr old wife and 3 month old Daughter (that he never met) Mark stepped up and help make a fundraiser a huge event. (Per my agreement with mark I won't disclose what he did) he hates when I talk about this.

When a member did a packing heat for huger event Mark sponsored it and made it happen.

When Dave in Delaware was robbed at gun point and he shot the robbers Mark was one of the first to help him...

When XDTALK WAS going to be sold, MARK STOOD UP AND TOOK OVER AND BOUGHT IT SAVING IT IN MY VIEW...

WHEN Dave and Amanda (Ibewaldo) had a life changing event and gang members broke into the house and Amanda shot them and defended her babies, Mark stepped up and donated a **** load of money to them to help them hide in motels since there life was in danger. Mark was more than generous and if you ask IBWALDO HE WILL NEVER SAY ANYTHING BUT JUST THAT...

SO WILL I PAY MORE FOR QUALITY, SERVICE AND SOMEONE WHO IS A PATRIOT AND WHO HELPS THOSE IN NEED? DAMN RIGHT I WILL....

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nothing else was called into question besides the product/service.
I agree.

We all know thats Mark is a great person and runs a superb company. Just give the holster time it will break in and you will like it. If you don't ship it back. Its pretty simple. He runs a no BS company and he is having a hard time keeping up with production for a reason. I personally have 3 of his holsters and have been satisfied with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just received my crossbreed holster last week and had some problems too. My order also took more than 6 weeks and I didn't find out it was going to be longer until I emailed and asked them about. I did get a quick reply and I appreciate that. When I did get my holster, my pistol slides around in it so bad that the safety caught the edge of the leather and clicked off. Not good since it is carried cocked and locked. I have contacted them and am positive that it will be corrected based on the reviews I have read in this forum. However, I probably will wait to make my next purchase after they have worked out their growing pains. If I wait for a product that I paid for 6 weeks ago and it is late and doesn't function as advertised, then I will share my experience so that other consumers can make an informed choice.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Does your Pistol move while your are wearing it with a belt?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I promised to update on this thing and also to ad some pics.
Images are below with numbers referencing through my comments

It seems to hide very well (images 1, 2, and 3). You can see a lump but this is because of the xd being a double stack rather than a smaller gun. The CBST hides the gun very well.

As far as the pinching it was in the spots shown in image 4. It left some red marks where the arrows point but didn't show up very well in the pic. The rear spot was where the stiff horsehide rubbed and the fron was from the metal clip when it went straight up shown as shown in image 5 line marked A.

I originally drilled another hole above the top one for the front clip and had the rear clip raised higher so my pant line would be where is shown on image 5 line B. However, this caused my waistband to be slightly higher than the top edge of the kydex and my pant was in the way of reholstering. I dropped the front clip back to the highest factory hole and lowered the rear clip to make it line up with my pant line being below the top edge of the kydex (image 5 line C) and this eliminated that problem as well as changed the angle of the front clip allowing it to be mostly behind the horsehide and eliminated it pinching me.

The guy from Crossbreed said they do apply oil pryor to shipping and I have no reason not to believe that. It may have just been long enough before shipping to have soaked in or something so it wasn't noticeable by the time I received it.

I did notice that the molding seemed to have alot of excess that was just folded over (image 6 &7). This is not for the sights as it is way more than needed, way off center, and does not extend the length of the mold. Not sure what the purpose of this is or if it's just excess. Looks weird but doesn't effect the quality at all, just the look.

The rubbing by the back of the leather were probably a combination of three things. 1-the horsehide is really stiff and hadn't taken shape yet 2-the edges though sanded, have a very square and not rounded edge 3-my belly fat and my need to mix a salad into my daily regimen to eliminate blubber overhang.

I took these pics last night, less than 48 hours after receiving it and it's already taking shape to me and my gun (image 8).

I have been wearing it today and it is not pinching or binding at all. it is taking shape nicely and very comfortable today.

The shipping and production times are what they are but as to the product itself, I really really like it now that I've gotten it adjusted and it's taking shape.

I believe I'll be very happy with this product. For my next gun, I may try a less expensive holster that comes quicker to see how I like it. After the guy earlier in this thread mentioned a king tuk, I watched a video of the two and it seemed a little sleeker in finish and available quicker but not sure if it's available in horsehide. I may very well end up with a CBST again though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts