Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've used a lot of the Winchester white box and no problems at all with it but my preference for practice/range ammo is the Aluminum cased Blazers.

I don't need to pick up the brass and it is cheap. Less than $4 a box for 9mm.

None of my pistols (9mm, .40 & .45) or carbines ever had a problem feeding or extracting and it is pretty accurate to boot. I've tried it in some full auto 9mm's and it functioned in those also.

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cheapest I have seen is Wally mart white box value box. In 9mm, 40, and 45. If any one has nythign better post. Also I live in MI as taxes could make a difference.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've used Winchester Whitebox and Remington both from Walmart and Magtech without any problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use WWB from KY Imports. .40S&W 180 gr FMJ $159.99 a case. Wally World never has enough value pack on hand and KY Imports is local to me.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Big K said:
Experiences with Wolf, American, Blazer, White Box, etc.....
try it out for yourself and do a search on the forum

·
Registered
580 Posts
i use the WWB 100 rd boxes when they've got them. otherwise, i settle for the next cheapest stuff which is usually UMC where i live.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info, I've been using white box almost exclusively and periodically others are priced nice... just looking for problems... the only I've experienced are that UMC run kinda dirty...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm using 9mm Blazer almost exclusively, never have a problem and very clean too. They're very accurate in my XD. $3.86 a box at Academy Sports.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Avoid American Ammunition (the brand not where it is made) Their brass is very inconsistant. It's great for malfunction drills :twisted: . All the other brands mentioned work pretty well some better than others but all are OK.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sonny74 said:
I'm using 9mm Blazer almost exclusively, never have a problem and very clean too. They're very accurate in my XD. $3.86 a box at Academy Sports.
Wow......that is cheap. I haven't seen any aluminum case blazers anywhere around here. I used to get it out west, but don't remember the price. Here Wal-Mart sells WWB 9mm value packs (100 loose) for $10.75.

I just got a .45 last week and the cheapest ammo WM had was Remington UMC. It was $9.95 for a box of 50. Since this is the first time I asked for .45Cal at WM, I'm not completely sure I got their cheapest stuff. The employees don't seem that well informed. First time I asked for the least expensive 9mm there, I got "Winclean". Which was not as inexpensive as the white box stuff. Quite a bit more IIRC. Also, one of the 50 rounds of Winclean was my only FTE (or problem of any kind) in my XD ever. Other than that one hiccup, the XD has been 100%. I will guess I have put about 1,000 rounds through it since I got it in November (used....no idea how many rounds were fired before I got the gun).

Does Winchester have a "value pack" in .45? (if so, does Walmart sell it?).

The .45 cal. Remington did leave my gun looking dirty (around the muzzle), but I figure it's probably due to me not being used to a stainless finish. My XD is black, so the dirt hides pretty well. (unlike a black car :lol: ) The American Eagle they sell at the range seems a bit cleaner though. It's also 60% more money....at least at the range prices.

MoJo said:
Avoid American Ammunition .
Is that "American Eagle" you mean? That's the stuff that the range sells (rule is you HAVE to use their ammo...talk about rules meant to be broken LOL). If so, I have not had any problems with it so far. They gave me four boxes with the purchase of my gun, so that's 200 rounds, and I also did buy another box. Wow, I'm shooting a lot. I have to find a cheaper way to shoot my .45. I have shot 250 rounds of the American Eagle, and another 50 rounds of the Remington UMC from Wally World. All in just a week. (Still stink with the .45....more accurate with my Subcompact XD, but at least I know it isn't the gun....in the hands of real shooters, the .45 ...a stainless "loaded" model, the gun is deadly accurate). Also, I have not had a single jam of any kind. So far (knock on wood), the .45 has been 100%. Which comes as somewhat of a surprise to me. I had a Colt .45 twenty years ago that jammed all the time (Gold Cup).

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Ok, 2 questions.

1. For those quoting $4 and $3.86 a box, is that 50/box or 100/box?

2. This is probably a dumb one but...what is WWB?

Thanks.

Until I retired, I never used any other ammo other than what was furnished at our dept. range, so I'm not up on a few of these ammo abbreviations. I now use Walmart's 9mm. 100 rounds for about $11. Never had a problem with it in my subcompact 9. I don't recall which brand name as I sit here and type.

·
Registered
16 Posts
retired said:
Ok, 2 questions.

1. For those quoting $4 and $3.86 a box, is that 50/box or 100/box?

2. This is probably a dumb one but...what is WWB?

Thanks.

Until I retired, I never used any other ammo other than what was furnished at our dept. range, so I'm not up on a few of these ammo abbreviations. I now use Walmart's 9mm. 100 rounds for about $11. Never had a problem with it in my subcompact 9. I don't recall which brand name as I sit here and type.
The Blazer in $3.86 per box of 50 at Academy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Sonny74,
Don't try any of the cheap blue box 9mm's thier selling at academy they are trash No brand name they're some sort of russian bullet i think. They're on sale for the same price as blazers, so I thought i'd try them out. Terrible idea. fte's and ftf's over and over couldn't shoot two rounds in a row.

Love the Blazers though not a single problem with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
RingMonster said:
Hey Sonny74,
Don't try any of the cheap blue box 9mm's thier selling at academy they are trash No brand name they're some sort of russian bullet i think. They're on sale for the same price as blazers, so I thought i'd try them out. Terrible idea. fte's and ftf's over and over couldn't shoot two rounds in a row.

Love the Blazers though not a single problem with them.
Yeah, I think those are exactly the same as Wolf ammo, just packaged differently. Even the sale clert says they're no good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i've used blazer and blue box(barnul-russian).
both ok in my sub 9.
over 400 of each, no fail to feed.
remington green box stove piped twice in one box.
now i just stay with the blazer at $3.86/box at academy.
russian is ok but more muzzle flip and funny smell.
winchester white box is an occasional treat for the sub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea i got took by the first clerk that said they were good. Next time I was in there another clerk told me they where terrible. I should of known something was up since were marked down like two bucks.

oh well you live you learn

1 - 20 of 44 Posts