Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joining a club 4 the winter to be able to shoot more...The said indoor ammo only...to them it means 1000 fps or slower no FMJ's..9 mm is what I have...I have the XD 9 service n love it. any good sources for this ammo?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
No FMJ? Are they expecting you to shoot frangible???

·
Registered
516 Posts
The old indoor range at my club has the same restrictions. What "no FMJ <1000 FPS" means in our club is no jacketed ammo, lead only. The reason for this is the backstop can not handle any thing harder than lead. My guess is that this is the same situation. The best bet is to pick up reloads at your local gun shop. Save your brass, most shops will give you a credit for the returned brass when you buy more reloads. Of course the best option is to buy a reloading press and roll your own. Thats a whole different subject.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is this indoor range in someone's basement?
I have seen ranges restrict some handguns because of velocity, but that was for .17, and 22mags.
I see you are in MN, which range are you going to?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
near Rochester ...will be going to the Se Mn range near Chester. Where are you?

·
Registered
889 Posts
ridgerunnr said:
near Rochester ...will be going to the Se Mn range near Chester. Where are you?
I live in the Twin Cities. I was just at the Burnsville Pistol Range, and asked the owner about your question, and had never heard of restricting handgun ammo like that. I shoot there and at both of Bill's Gun Shop and Ranges, and have never seen them restrict ammo like that either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not too far from there..it seems their ammo restrictions are a pain...they have a competitive rimfire league so I am gonna check on that. I am not gonna start ordering ammo thru the mail just to shoot on sunday night. my gun is for cc purposes anyway so the avail 9mm ammo is all i am going to buy. I wonder if they restrict 22 ammo...??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same problem I am having in Pittsburgh. All of the shooting clubs want low velocity, lead only. I really don't want to shoot lead only through my 40sc. It seems that most of the clubs here have great outdoor ranges and real crap indoors. I think they lean towards rifle more. Real frustrating.

·
Registered
516 Posts
ceos55,
Our new indoor range (5 station Casswell system 45 feet) at ACRC (North Hills of Pittsburgh) allows any pistol caliber up to .45ACP & .44 MAG FMJ/HP/Lead as long as it is under 2000 FPS. Anything goes at our outdoor ranges.
Two public ranges I am aware of also allow FMJ full house pistol calibers.
A & S in Youngwood Bring any ammo you have
Anthony Arms in West Mifflin They require that you buy Ammo on site
There may be others as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tne indoor range I know of prohibits FMJs because they deform the backstop. They allow PLATED bullets and Lead bullets.
Do you reload? Buy 1,000 Rainier plated bullets and use 4.5 grains of WW231. Under 1,000 fps, mild, functions good.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I am looking for local ranges and the only real close one (two others are in the "area", one is half hour away, other is pretty pricey) has the following in their application to join the range:

"Due to range limitations, projectile velocity must not exceed 1000 fps, and only non-jackets bullets may be used. Copper wash bullets are acceptable."

Unfortunately I am a newbie and was curious if A.) someone could interpret what kind of ammo I can use; and B.) any recommendations of ammo that fall into this category; and C.) any suggestions on where to find the ammo. I will be shooting an XD9SC.

I'm deciding if whether it is worth joining here (cheaper and closer than the other two), or "bite the bullet" and join at one of the others.

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts