Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true indiana is switching to more powerful rifles within the next few years? I have heard it from a few people they may allow ones line 30-30 and 243. Thanks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I pray there are no dangerous hunters next year! Indiana is quite flat for high powered rifles. People like to abuse the purpose of using high powered rifles a lot in this state shooting way farther in areas they are unfamiliar with and unknown backstops.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's true if the commission passes it. The law says .243 and higher - which means a ton of unnecessary power for Indiana.

I am currently looking for an old 18 incher off a battleship for use since they didn't put a max limit on caliber. Benefits are humane kill and no processing required - can't wait! I could also hunt multiple counties from one location. I suppose there would be guesswork - but, what the hell. I might even be able to go on multi-state hunts with that kind of firepower!

·
Registered
17,808 Posts
Wait...what? You guys CAN'T use a .30-30 right now? More deer in this nation have been taken with a .30-30 than any other rifle

Wow...just wow!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Count yourself lucky that you can potentially use bottle neck cartridges. I moved to Ohio and no longer can use my .30-30. I traded my .270 for a .45-70 since we are limited to shotgun slugs, black powder, or limited straight wall calibers. Out of my choices I felt the .45-70 would work best for me.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Hasn't been very long ago that we could only use black powder or slug guns.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's true if the commission passes it. The law says .243 and higher - which means a ton of unnecessary power for Indiana.

I am currently looking for an old 18 incher off a battleship for use since they didn't put a max limit on caliber. Benefits are humane kill and no processing required - can't wait! I could also hunt multiple counties from one location. I suppose there would be guesswork - but, what the hell. I might even be able to go on multi-state hunts with that kind of firepower!
People we're hunting dangerously before the high powered rifles. There are a bunch of people who don't need to hunt deer with a high powered rifle.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Wait...what? You guys CAN'T use a .30-30 right now? More deer in this nation have been taken with a .30-30 than any other rifle

Wow...just wow!
Here in Ohio we can't hunt with any kind of necked cartridges, only straight wall pistol cartridges. You all should be thankful you can use what you can... I'm hoping soon we can use what you are currently allowed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree people already hunt dangerously. My issue is with the high powered rifles people are going to get extreme, cross more property lines than ever and some of those higher calibers will surely find houses at some point. The argument with muzzleloaders is weak, although they can travel a good distance they aren't high-powered rifles and therefore should be no comparison.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Poachers and people who hunt illegally will always hunt illegally. I can't fathom why states ban common cartridges that are more efficient.

Good grief. What were the rules before this?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

Wow...just wow!
Yeah. I do all my hunting in florida and Texas. These rules are alien to me. Why make your people use archaic rounds?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Ohio barely has hills. I don't like the idea of a tree as a backstop. Back when I lived and hunted in upstate NY, when they opened deer rifle season in the southern zone and there was an influx of hunters from NYC and LI heading into the wood, myself and other locals would either stay home or find a bow only area and ease our safety concerns.

We knew where they were from just by the head to toe dress in BLAZE ORANGE. Dead giveaway. I went hunting one time with a group of them. Just as the sun came up one of them opened up with a semi 12ga I heard the slugs whizzing by as I dove for cover, he emptied on the doe. When I felt it was safe enough to head in and see what he hit, a small doe. He was within 15 ft of the doe. Shot all her legs, broken, bone everywhere. One slug to the stomach. I think it died from a heart attack actually. I spent the next day in camp knowing I was not going out with the same crowd ever again.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Poachers and people who hunt illegally will always hunt illegally. I can't fathom why states ban common cartridges that are more efficient.

Good grief. What were the rules before this?
People used common sense and safety as guidance. There was personal responsibility as well.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
People used common sense and safety as guidance. There was personal responsibility as well.
Those aren't rules. Those are hopes of what decent people will do.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Ohio barely has hills. I don't like the idea of a tree as a backstop. Back when I lived and hunted in upstate NY, when they opened deer rifle season in the southern zone and there was an influx of hunters from NYC and LI heading into the wood, myself and other locals would either stay home or find a bow only area and ease our safety concerns.

We knew where they were from just by the head to toe dress in BLAZE ORANGE. Dead giveaway. I went hunting one time with a group of them. Just as the sun came up one of them opened up with a semi 12ga I heard the slugs whizzing by as I dove for cover, he emptied on the doe. When I felt it was safe enough to head in and see what he hit, a small doe. He was within 15 ft of the doe. Shot all her legs, broken, bone everywhere. One slug to the stomach. I think it died from a heart attack actually. I spent the next day in camp knowing I was not going out with the same crowd ever again.
You realize how fast a bullet drops when fired parallel with the ground, right? Texas is wide ass open. Just a reason to allow powerful modern long range cartridges, not disallow them.

Your experience of being around moron hunters is an unfortunate one. It does not however show why the state should ban modern cartridges. There will always be idiots, and I don't really like hunting with 120 year old technology.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I was just pointing out the guy used a slug gun in a rifle zone and still managed almost kill people. I agree, hunt how you want to hunt. Do it safely, ethically and responsibly. I'm all for allowing the new rules.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I don't get why people are so opposed to opening up rifles in Indiana. On one hand you say the land is too flat then on the other you say people will be shooting up at the top of hills and the bullets can travel for miles. When killing a deer you are shooting about 30" off the ground. Unless you are killing them from prone with a laser gun that bullet will hit the ground long before it ends up in Illinois or Ohio.

I support rifles for more ethical kills and potentially better shot placement.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I pray there are no dangerous hunters next year! Indiana is quite flat for high powered rifles. People like to abuse the purpose of using high powered rifles a lot in this state shooting way farther in areas they are unfamiliar with and unknown backstops.
In Kansas, you can stand on an ant Hill on the eastern border and see the west border. You can hunt with any centerfire rifle cartridge, .223 or larger. We all get by just fine. The only accidents that ever seem to happen are from idiots doing what they're good at. Being idiots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I don't get why people are so opposed to opening up rifles in Indiana. On one hand you say the land is too flat then on the other you say people will be shooting up at the top of hills and the bullets can travel for miles. When killing a deer you are shooting about 30" off the ground. Unless you are killing them from prone with a laser gun that bullet will hit the ground long before it ends up in Illinois or Ohio.

I support rifles for more ethical kills and potentially better shot placement.
Safety. that's what I am getting at when I talk about hills. I.ve hunted deer with rifle, shotgun and bow. I never mentioned how a bullet can travel for miles. People do stupid stuff in anything that can be done, Read more posts, I AGREE with opening up areas to any method of hunting as long as it's ethical and responsible. And I am sure the guy that mentioned crossing state lines was exaggerating just a tad. Easy podner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts